Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motard guys, gearing..?

Motard guys, gearing..?

So my track day with Boston Moto was a blast, other then crashing...again. Lesson, dont try to follow fast riders because there..well..fast. Totally stupid riding on my part, pushing myself last session eventhough i didnt feel right at all in that session. Did i mention stupid? Thanks to(i believe it was) A13x for the input on why i crashed/ what i did wrong. To much input into the bars= lowside...check

Anyways during the day i wanted a little more drive out of the corners. My current gearing is 14/45. Would droping one tooth in the front help this? I felt like i had enough top end so losing some of that wont hurt. Advice?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motard guys, gearing..?

A13x and DB are running 16/39 on their 4 speed RMZs, guessing you need to row the gearbox more than you need to shorten your gearing up from where it already is. (I've got a couple spots I need to be bagging a downshift in now too...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    A13x and DB are running 16/39 on their 4 speed RMZs, guessing you need to row the gearbox more than you need to shorten your gearing up from where it already is. (I've got a couple spots I need to be bagging a downshift in now too...)
    Correction: Alex is running 16/38, I'm running 16/39

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Would the KTM being a six speed change that?

I'm running 15/42 on my KTM 560 and thinking about dropping teeth on the rear sprocket because I'm topping out on the front straight and want more.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Would the KTM being a six speed change that?
    Your 6spd is not like the 6spd of a KTM SX/SMR, the EXC (yours) has a wide ratio gearbox for woods riding, while the SX/SMR have a close ratio gearbox for the quick power burst. I think your best bet with this bike is trial and error IMO
    Put the 48 you have from the dirtwheels on the rear and try that first.
    Whatever you do, if you change the front sprocket, buy an OEM one and make sure you buy the new seals and spring washer.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Your 6spd is not like the 6spd of a KTM SX/SMR, the EXC (yours) has a wide ratio gearbox for woods riding, while the SX/SMR have a close ratio gearbox for the quick power burst. I think your best bet with this bike is trial and error IMO
    Put the 48 you have from the dirtwheels on the rear and try that first.
    Whatever you do, if you change the front sprocket, buy an OEM one and make sure you buy the new seals and spring washer.
    Was considering putting the 48 in the rear but with the extreme clearence issues i dont think that is possible. Though with the front being droped it would push the rear tire back. Or maybe i just need to shift way more..

Was considering putting the 48 in the rear but with the extreme clearence issues i dont think that is possible. Though with the front being droped it would push the rear tire back. Or maybe i just need to shift way more..
    I had a 48 on my EXC for a while and had no issues. You're talking tire into the swingarm? If you have the sprocket, it's only time at this point vs money to give it a try

Yamaha

Plenty o time into her now. But from the rub/wear mark i found on the swingarm after tire removal, im positive that the tire can not move foward. At all...i think i remember from VIR that my swingarm was a little narrower then yours? I think i may give it another track day to see if it was just my shifting..Whens the next Boston Moto day
    BTW how the hell do you put the pictures in the post not attached?

My YZ has rub marks on the inside of the swingarm, though I have plenty of clearence? My guess is it's the rubber balls that build up on the edges after a trackday, seeing how they are stuck to the rim as well?
    If I remember right, my KTM rear wheel had to be a bit over half way back in the adjustment for the tire to clear the swingarm.

As for the next BoMo day, I don't know on my end anyways as I'm out of work as of tomorrow. Our contract ended and the members voted strike

To add a picture not attached, you need to host it on photobucket or something similar.

Yamaha

Welp, i have a grove cut into the swingarm from the tire, i think some more block planing is in order next time. Minor, but enough to not let it continue.

Damn unions and there strikes, i still wonder about my job daily....

So my track day with Boston Moto was a blast, other then crashing...again. Lesson, dont try to follow fast riders because there..well..fast. Totally stupid riding on my part, pushing myself last session eventhough i didnt feel right at all in that session. Did i mention stupid? Thanks to(i believe it was) A13x for the input on why i crashed/ what i did wrong. To much input into the bars= lowside...check

Anyways during the day i wanted a little more drive out of the corners. My current gearing is 14/45. Would droping one tooth in the front help this? I felt like i had enough top end so losing some of that wont hurt. Advice?
    Oh hey that was you who was following me on the KTM and lowsided in 10? Whoops sorry man, didn't know you were on NESR too! (must be the mysterious part.... heheh)

Glad you were okay and hey shit tends to happen in the last sessions. Next time I'll link up with you earlier in the day and have some fun!

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Oh hey that was you who was following me on the KTM and lowsided in 10? Whoops sorry man, didn't know you were on NESR too! (must be the mysterious part.... heheh)

Glad you were okay and hey shit tends to happen in the last sessions. Next time I'll link up with you earlier in the day and have some fun!
    That was me, did ya atleast get to see me slide into the wall. Theres a slow mo image i wont forget. Was so, so worth it. Would like to follow ya to catch how you go through a few turns. I'll be at the next BoMo day no matter what!