Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motor rebuild reasons??

Motor rebuild reasons??

Got a 2000 R6 with about 12k miles on it and it's been a dedicated track bike for more than 1/2 its life. So I'm a little concerned about the condition of the engine. I'm putting money into the bike by getting the geometry and suspension take care of by Pete at Computrack and the next thing I'm thinking about is the motor. I figure I'd get on it while it's still in decent running condition as well being the end of the season. I know this bike isn't really work throwing money into it, but I've had lots of seat time on this bike and it's earned its keep so I've decided to dump money into it to get it setup properly as a race bike for next year. Then when I get a newer 600 next year, this will be my backup / rain bike. So my question is, what things should I have done to it to have a proper "engine refresh" and how much should I expect to pay?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motor rebuild reasons??

change the oil and oil filter. done.

unless it starts to really feel tired then just run it. A friend of mine has over 27k on his R6. most of that track and I know its not accurate because of the gearing but that still equals a lot of miles.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

With the mileage being that low, it shouldn't really need anything. Those motors are pretty bulletproof. If it doesn't currently have any problems, and never overheated or anything, you'll be fine for a long time to come. The one thing you may want to think about is fixing the second gear problem if you're having it, or are worried about it(it can/will pop out of gear under heavy acceleration). It's really the only weak point with that motor. As for how much, no clue as I did it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    With the mileage being that low, it shouldn't really need anything. Those motors are pretty bulletproof. If it doesn't currently have any problems, and never overheated or anything, you'll be fine for a long time to come. The one thing you may want to think about is fixing the second gear problem if you're having it, or are worried about it(it can/will pop out of gear under heavy acceleration). It's really the only weak point with that motor. As for how much, no clue as I did it myself.
    I see you got an 02 R6. Do you still have it and do you like it? How does it compare to some of the newer sportbikes?

Lifer

A compression test can give you a number to try and gauge the engine's condition. Might be easy to do next time you have the plugs out. Otherwise, I'd go with what the more experienced guys are saying about "it'll be fine".

If you want price estimates, you'll want to say if you're bringing a shop an engine, or the bike with the engine still in it.

nedirtriders.com

The 2002 F4i I race went 8 or 9 years before being rebuilt and that was only because there was a mechanical failure in the gearbox...figured while I was in there might as well freshen everything up.

IIRC, I was up over $1500 in parts alone. The parts look cheap enough on their own but all those crank bearings, valve guide seals, gaskets, etc really add up when it's 4x.

Quote Originally Posted by kumpy View Post
    I see you got an 02 R6. Do you still have it and do you like it? How does it compare to some of the newer sportbikes?
    Yes I have the R6 still. It's a great bike. The main reason I got something else is because I'm older now and the ergos don't work for me in day to day riding anymore. It's relegated to track duty now. I've beat the piss out of it for 24k miles and it still runs great.

Kumplestiltskin, I wouldn't touch the internals until there's a problem (2nd gear on that gen r6).
    That bike, dynoed for efficient power, and chassis set up, is easily good enough to get you well into the teens. Like halfway through them if you can twist it hard enough. Save your $ for tires. Or another motor should you actually burn it up. (Although I doubt it)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I wouldnt waste your money......ride it till it Blows up and get another stocker and go done deal

Leave... it... the... fuck... alone

ride it till it blows.
    then buy another street bike motor for less than the cost of rebuilding.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Leave... it... the... fuck... alone

i second that.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member