Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

OEM chain life?

OEM chain life?

Typically how long does an OEM chain last? I'm at just under 13k miles and I think my chain has reached the end of it's life. I have a tight spot in the chain and even if I adjust it at the tightest spot I get too much play in certain spots and too tight in others. I also measured out 21 pins per the service manual and it's just over the limit it's allowed to stretch. Supposed to be no more than 31.94 cm and I measured 32 cm.

Is it just me or is 13k miles a bit on the low side? The only changes I made to the driveline recently (about 500 miles ago) is I added a -1 Driven sprocket in the same stock pitch (525). Do you think by adding a new front sprocket to an old chain I've worn it out sooner?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: OEM chain life?

I got 23k outa my R1's stock chain.

Sounds about average. It totally depends on how you take care of it. I got 18000 miles on my oem chain. yes 18k, prolly could have gone longer but my sprockets where shot and changed everything at once. I did a quick lube and wipe down every 2 - 3 rides when I pulled back home to get all the dirt and grime off from the ride. Garage kept. If it spends anytime outside or If you only clean your chain every 400 miles or so you be lucky with 10K.

markbtv has gotten over 25k (maybe even over 30k) on the oem chain on his Vstrom. But he also does mostly long tours on it and lubes it religiously every 300 miles (which for him is 1-2 rides). I got less than 12k out of the oem chain on my SV, but I also ride a lot more aggressively than he does (and I didn't take very good care of it for awhile, which hastened it's demise).

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 05-30-10 at 06:39 PM.

That's a little on the low side in terms of mileage, but it's very maintenance dependent. I had a scottoiler on my chain for the first 9k miles and never bothered with chain maintenance, other than tightening it. I have about 20k on the same chain now which sees the regular clean and lube at 500-1000 mile intervals. It's pretty much at the end of its life now. However, I am fairly certain that it would still be in great shape if I had kept an oiler on it. They make a mess and can be potentially dangerous if it's over-oiling and you get some residue on the tire (which did happen to me but did not cause a problem).

The following are my thoughts on the subject of chain/sprocket wear. Try as I may to sound like one, I am not an expert.

Sprocket and chains wear differently. As a chain wears the pin-to-pin distance (pitch) grows. The sprockets, on the other hand, wear by material being removed from the driving face of the teeth (as well as the engine braking side, but to a much lesser extent). This does not necessarily change the pitch of the sprocket. A worn chain doesn't evenly distribute load on the teeth of the sprocket since only the first few teeth are pulling on the chain. This uneven loading on the teeth of the sprocket is caused by the fact that the chain has grown enough where the pitch of the chain is much larger than the pitch of the sprocket (relative terms here, we are talking thousandths of an inch). And, the other teeth which should be engaged on the chain can't, because the chain is too slack. The chain tries to ride up on the teeth of the sprocket.

So, chain wear promotes sprocket wear. I can't say whether a new sprocket on an old chain would cause the chain to wear out prematurely. It's generally an accepted practice to replace all of the components at the same time. I am guilty of trying to get a little more out of my chain by replacing just the front sprocket with a new one (and at $10-$15 it's hard to argue with the reasoning.)

I'd say that if you are hoping to get more out of your next chain try to perform maintenance more often and/or use a different cleaning/lubing method. Avoid storing the motorcycle outside or in areas with high rates of temperature change which can cause condensation. Rust on the chain will cause advanced wear on the seals which will eventually allow contaminants such as fine sand into the pin-bushing area. This is the area that wears and causes the pitch of the chain to grow.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I think it'll be the general average, considering the bikes and riders

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Don't forget manufacturers go "chain shopping" for different models and what not. My 07 gixxer 1k came with a worthless DID chain...other bikes I've had came with excellent OEM chains.

I don't think 500 miles with a new counter shaft sprocket and an old chain would be too bad. But on the other hand, a new counter shaft sprocket is pretty cheap, if you're worried about it replace it. Peace of mind is a good thing. Plus there are a lot of places to go for a chain kit...you could just get a kit and everything will be new...no worries

I'm over 25K with the original chain on my 12R (it's a 530) cleaned and lubed with nothing but WD40. That includes multiple trips to the drag strip. My chain is still in great shape but I'm quickly approaching the point where I'll have to change my sprockets so it'll get a new one then.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm over 25K with the original chain on my 12R (it's a 530) cleaned and lubed with nothing but WD40. That includes multiple trips to the drag strip. My chain is still in great shape but I'm quickly approaching the point where I'll have to change my sprockets so it'll get a new one then.
    i thought wd40 was really bad for 0-rings?

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    It's purely a myth.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Forget WD-40, use the Dupont Teflon spray. It works great, doesn't fling, and even helps to unstick troublesome hot tub valves

with good service I have seen 28K on a OEM GSXR 1K....

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just did my 1st clean/lube of the season. Good ole kerosene & Maxima Chain Wax.

EX 105

I thought I was pretty good on my maintenance but I think having a dirt driveway doesn't help. I wouldn't say I beat the bike like a red-headed step-child but I've done numerous group rides as well as a track day with it so it's not like I was completely taking it easy for 13k miles. I think I'll get a new chain and sprockets and just keep on top of the lubing.

Any thoughts on going back to a new 17T front sprocket (17 is stock) and going +3 in the rear instead of the -1 in the front I have now? I've heard -1 is almost +2.73? I think it would be better than forcing a chain to turn around a smaller front sprocket.

i've heard the front is closer to -2 than going -3. if you go +0 front, i'd try +2 in the rear.

ps: +2 in the rear, i get it (giggity)

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    The sprockets, on the other hand, wear by material being removed from the driving face of the teeth (as well as the engine braking side, but to a much lesser extent). This does not necessarily change the pitch of the sprocket.
    one thing I've learned, it that chain & sprocket wear can be completely opposite from one rider to the next

I have a scottoiler and do zero maintenance except keeping the reservoir filled (I use ATF as a drip rate of 1 per 45secą, in winter I thin ATF with Kero about 75/25 and increase the drip rate to 1/25ecą)

only maintenace or adjustment is when bike is at dealer for service or rear tire

On my SV650, at about 35k my front sprocket would be worn, no visual sign of wear on chain or rear sprocket, wear on the teeth was hooked under engine braking. I always replaced the set

on my V-strom 1000 the original 525 was worn just like the SV, but at 15k, I replaced with 530 (the TLS, TLR, SV1000 all come stock with 530 but the DL1000 comes with 525) I just last week replaced that (oem for SV1000) chain & sprockets with 36k, but I already replaced the front sprocket about 12k ago

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Don't forget manufacturers go "chain shopping" for different models and what not. My 07 gixxer 1k came with a worthless DID chain...other bikes I've had came with excellent OEM chains.
    on the otherhand, I think it's hard to beat oem when it comes to front sprockets, I was never able to get aftermarket front sprockets to last more than 10 or 12 k , and I never had a problem getting 30k+ from the "worthless DID" on my SV. Would I have got more from something that was gold plated with x rings? Maybe

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post

It is, whenever I get a new mil-surp rifle I use wd to REMOVE all the packing grease and cosmo.

I have 24K on the original chain on my S3.
    It is nearing it's end and will be repalced within the next couple weeks.