Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plugging a tire?

Plugging a tire?

Never done it but picked up something in my rear tire. Fairly new diablo Rosso. Plugging a tire?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1402140515-830307-jpg

So what's the process?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Plugging a tire?

I"ve just plugged them and been done with it. I've never had an issue. Some put patches on the inside or a mushroom plug from the inside.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Ive plugged them, but ideally you want to replace the tire

CCS #31

Any certain plug kit to look for? Total newb at this. I have not way to get the tire off the rim myself so it would just be from the outside. Thanks!

Yeah. I know ideally replace is better.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I use a regular auto tire plug kit (string plug I think it's called), available at any auto parts. Get the tool (rasp and inserter), strings, and glue. Have the plug ready BEFORE you pull out the nail/screw, the hole can close up fast and sorta disappear, so mark the spot with chalk, and have the plug ready. Working quickly and carefully, yank out nail, clean hole with rasp end of tool, leave rasp in the hole while you pick up the inserter loaded with string which is loaded with glue, then plug it. I think that's how I did it ... .

The kit might have instructions, or the counterman might be helpful, and there's always YouTube, right?

Then I do what Sheppo mentioned, remove the wheel when I have the chance and take it to someone who knows what he's doing for a mushroom plug applied from the inside.

After two punctures within 6 months (a couple years ago), I carry the kit with me along with a small air compressor that plugs into the battery tender leads.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 06-07-14 at 07:13 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Whynot has the process right. I also carry a kit with me, but haven't used it yet, but have plugged plenty of tires in the past.

Ideally after plugging let it sit for 30 minutes and put it in a water bath to check for leaks. Most of the people that I know who plug don't end up doing an "official patch" after the fact (but some use the plug for emergency and patch after). Yours doesn't sound like an emergency.

3 options really.

• Get a $10 kit and plug it.
    • Take it to a tire shop for a patch.
    • Replace it.

You could plug then have it patched, but if it isn't an emergency what's the point?

I know plenty of people that have done tens of thousands of miles with a plug. I know people that don't trust them to the next town. Do what you are comfortable with.

Pick up a Dynoplug tool from Cycle gear. 20 bucks well spent and the easiest to use

On a motorcycle I wouldn't trust a rawhide plug, think about it, the only thing between you and the road is those small pieces of rubber. I'm an auto mechanic and I have seen rawhide plugs fail in car tires, bike tires flex a lot more so u have more of a chance of losing the plug. I highly recommend taking it to a shop and have them patch plug it from the inside, which is a rubber patch that has a rubber tit in the center of the patch that goes through the puncture hole from the inside. That's the best way to fix it, then you never have to worry about the repair again. I don't know exactly how much a shop charges but I can't see it being very much money especially for the piece of mind

Last edited by myzx6; 06-07-14 at 07:29 PM.

A friend plugged mine to get me home then I patched it from the inside. The tire was a rosso II with only a few hundred miles, the inside patch was worth the price of admission for piece of mind, ymmv.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

what's the worse that can happen, the plug leaks, the tire goes soft, your just as likely to pick up another nail and have your tire go soft, did the original nail that made the hole cause you to crash and burn ?

plug it from outside with radial tire worm type plug, (kit cost $5 at Walmart) check for leaks, check again tomorrow after a ride, then forget it, anything more is wasted effort and expense

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

To all of you that refuse to use a patch or plug on a brand new tire that picks up a nail.. I will happily relieve you of that useless, destroyed, horribly unsafe tire.. assuming it fits something in my toy box.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11D View Post
    Pick up a Dynoplug tool from Cycle gear. 20 bucks well spent and the easiest to use
    Looks good.
    http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/45613_00000

And don't believe everything you think.

I just plugged with a regular car plug, held it for about 2k mi of street riding until I replaced it

CCS #31

youtube!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Thanks folks. Will be grabbing a plug kit on the way home from msf and taking care of it tonight.

Slime makes a nice kit that includes a compressor. Don't get the one with the 'bottle' of slime. Get the one with the plug kit. I've plugged a bunch of tires and have never replaced a tire just because it was plugged....

and this

Pretty sure Wallyworld carries both...!

Last edited by DucDave; 06-07-14 at 03:46 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Poorly done plugs may fail, but done correctly per the instructions you can ride the full life of the tire on plugs. You need to leave a loop on the inside, and have both tails on the outside, and trim the tails flush with the tire surface. Use a generous amount of the rubber glue provided. Get the T handle, not the straight handle, and the metal reamer, not the plastic one. You should be able to get the better kit (T handle, metal reamer) by Slime at Walmart for about $7. I keep a plug kit and mini compressor like in above pst #17 in my tank bag. I installed a power plug to run the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Slime makes a nice kit that includes a compressor. Don't get the one with the 'bottle' of slime. Get the one with the plug kit. I've plugged a bunch of tires and have never replaced a tire just because it was plugged....

and this

Pretty sure Wallyworld carries both...!
    That's the exact kit I just picked up. Will plug it tomorrow. Beat from a long ERC today

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    what's the worse that can happen, the plug leaks, the tire goes soft, your just as likely to pick up another nail and have your tire go soft, did the original nail that made the hole cause you to crash and burn ?

plug it from outside with radial tire worm type plug, (kit cost $5 at Walmart) check for leaks, check again tomorrow after a ride, then forget it, anything more is wasted ffort and expense

The worst that can happen is that if the plug isn't installed right it can come out of the tire. That isn't something I'd want to happen at speed or half way through a long sweeper. I've seen rawhide plugs fail after 10k miles, many times more plugs do hold for life of the tire, but a plug is more of an emergency repair until the tire can be properly broken down and repaired from the inside. When there is a much better repair for not much more time or effort then why not do it right???? People don't realize how much a tire flexes under normal use and this can cause I plug to work its way out.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    A friend plugged mine to get me home then I patched it from the inside. The tire was a rosso II with only a few hundred miles, the inside patch was worth the price of admission for piece of mind, ymmv.

Sounds vaguely familiar...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Sounds vaguely familiar...
    That's why you are batman, saving the day!

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post
    The worst that can happen is that if the plug isn't installed right it can come out of the tire. That isn't something I'd want to happen at speed or half way through a long sweeper. I've seen rawhide plugs fail after 10k miles, many times more plugs do hold for life of the tire, but a plug is more of an emergency repair until the tire can be properly broken down and repaired from the inside. When there is a much better repair for not much more time or effort then why not do it right???? People don't realize how much a tire flexes under normal use and this can cause I plug to work its way out.
    Even if it comes out, it's a leak, not a blowout. Hole in a tire does not equal instant death.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Even if it comes out, it's a leak, not a blowout. Hole in a tire does not equal instant death.
    I don't know mine was pretty bad and if it came out before an on/off ramp corner etc I would not want to be in that predicament. My tire deflated in seconds, like I said before it's all about piece of mind and for me it was worth that to plug it from the inside. Again ymmv

BOOM BABY

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast