Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

radiator shop to clean/seal tank

my '89 hawks tank is pretty rusty. Would do it myself but time is at a minimum, wondering if anyone knew any shops locally that do motorcycle tank cleaning/re-sealing. I called Natick Radiator and they said they stopped doing it recently. I'm in Franklin but would consider anywhere in metrowest, down almost to woonsocket/providence/attleboro and closer to boston.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: radiator shop to clean/seal tank

Made maybe a dozen phone calls this morning and found ABC in Framingham will do it, pretty reasonably too. Anyone have any experience with them?

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

No idea...but id love to hear feedback in case I am out looking, all these places are very close to me!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Rodger's Radiator near Medford. Just had an HRC RVF radiator done and the tank for my VFR400. They did a great job. Also had the ZRX rad fixed there a couple years ago an it's still going strong.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Rodger's Radiator near Medford. Just had an HRC RVF radiator done and the tank for my VFR400. They did a great job. Also had the ZRX rad fixed there a couple years ago an it's still going strong.
    Ugh, medford is going to be a pain to get to but let me see.

How bad was the tank, what was the turnaround and do you mind me asking what they charged? maybe via PM if you'd like?

Anyone here frequently visit metrowest and medford area that'd like to make some drop off/pickup $$ if I end up going with this place?

Also found Harry Heitin in Worcester will do it, but they said they had to see it first to make sure it wasn't coated previously.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    On the tank, did they just clean it, or did they actually seal it after? I had a tank cleaned in the hot tank by a local shop but they didn't treat it after so the net result was a flash rust of the entire interior that was worse than the problem I brought it in for...

Will they modify radiators?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    On the tank, did they just clean it, or did they actually seal it after? I had a tank cleaned in the hot tank by a local shop but they didn't treat it after so the net result was a flash rust of the entire interior that was worse than the problem I brought it in for...

Will they modify radiators?
    I assume re-seal too as that's what I've been asking for when I call places.

So I went to ABC in Framingham. I am not happy with the results. They used Red-Kote (what Rogers uses) which from what I've read online is a pretty good product and better than kreem. I am regretting not using Rogers now and actually called them and they said it doesn't sound like it was done right. I am considering shipping it to them to get re-stripped and coated.

So the question being would you guys find this job acceptable? And furthermore it looks like hell, but do you think it will hold up? It was $150, which is an on-par price for the service (but in my mind not this kind of quality).

There are gobs in it, strings hanging from top to bottom, and some spots don't really seem covered. I went back there today to which i was told its 'normal' with this product, and they would re-do it but it would come out the same, or they could do another coat which seems stupid since these globs/pools would still be in it. I also asked what if pieces come off to which the reply was, put a fuel filter on.

Pics:
    radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0714-1-jpgradiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0718-1-jpgradiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0719-1-jpgradiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0720-1-jpg

Last edited by gamorg02; 08-21-12 at 02:53 PM.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

does not seem like they got it all.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    does not seem like they got it all.
    agreed.

does anyone think its a bad idea to run it as-is?

Last edited by gamorg02; 08-21-12 at 03:39 PM.

I ended up emailing Damon Industries (company that makes Red-Kote) and the CEO got back to me and informed me that this is not how red-kote is to be applied. I am going to leverage that and talk to the shop for my money back and try to mail it to rogers since Damon Industries said running a tank like that will cause issues. Will keep everyone informed. I will be happy to copy the email once I get her (CEO's) 'ok'.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

That is NOT applied correctly. That's a crappy job they did there. Rogers radiator does the job for local bike shops (I know Bettencourts uses them).

So i'm going to try to get this to rogers. its cheaper for me to ship it than it is for me to drive over there. Does anyone here travel metrowest/medford area that could help out for some $$?

So i ended up shipping this to rogers and just got it back today. box looked pretty banged up (different than the one I sent it in) and that should have been a sign. Unfortunately I'm not really happy with this job either. Here are some pics, am I being too picky? They didn't even clean out the petcock hole. the one picture that looks like a 'cross' in it is where i lightly pressed a 90° pic. this had been shipped last friday, it should be dry by now i'd hope or they had too much goop in it like the last shop.

this job was $75 more than usual to clean out the other shops work. I don't feel like its worth $225. thoughts? I'm really looking for honest opinions before i reach out to rogers to ask them their thoughts.

On top of it all the two most down points got bent. not a big deal i guess if everything else was ok, and could be USPS's fault but aside from cellophane there was NO padding on the bottom except for the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0809-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0811-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0813-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0814-jpg  

radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0817-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0819-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0821-jpg   radiator shop to clean/seal tank-imag0822-jpg  

High maintenance priss

The application looks better, but still looks like not much care was given. And the piss poor shipping shows it. That DIY that you sent me looks 10x better than this job.

so i called rogers and spoke with the owner. he said the pliability is "normal" of this product where i can easily make indents. Keeena actually saw the tank and left a fingerprint on the coating just by touching it. doesn't seem right to me. they also told me to 'drill' out the coating where it had been solid in the petcock hole. I emailed damon industries again to see if this is correct. I also put up an ad for a tank. ugh.