Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rear Tire Plug x2 Advice

Rear Tire Plug x2 Advice

Hey Guys & Gals,
    So I walk out to my bike this afternoon to do a walk-around and notice my back tire is flat on the rim. I grab my air pump and fill her up to ~30psi and start feeling for leaks, notice two small leaks 3/4 inch apart. There is a ton of construction going on in my area, so I must have hit something sharp

Anyway, here's the question. I've plugged tires before with the mushroom style from the inside and ridden the life of the tire, but never needed two plugs on a tire let alone this close together. Anyone else been in this situation before and continued to ride the tire? Or did you get the tire replaced?

For what it's worth, the tire is basically brand new and I don't ride particularly aggressively.

This is the kit I used, sans the CO2 cartridges. http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-p...co2-inflation/

Thanks for the advice,
    Rob

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rear Tire Plug x2 Advice

I'd plug it and ride it until it is worn to the point of needing replacing

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

If they are holes, not slices, I'd say plug it and run it.

2 Holes... 3/4" apart... Staple?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    If they are holes, not slices, I'd say plug it and run it.

2 Holes... 3/4" apart... Staple?
    I think they were more like little slices, so probably an industrial staple that then fell out because I didn't see any metal anywhere. So far it's holding air just fine, but will recheck in the morning before getting on it.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I vote for plug and ride too. Never dealt with two holes so close together though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have that kit too....used it once I think. It worked but seemed way too complicated for me! I use simple plugs. For a large gash I tie a knot in it before inserting. It works and only took me 11 previous tries to figure it out.

I'd check it before every ride (cold) and as long as it's holding air after the first 3 or 4 times you check you're probably good to go. I've most of a track day season on a plugged tire. Granted, it was a hole caused because some idiot didn't police after themselves after safety wiring their bike...!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Yeah, a single plug I no question would ride it out. My biggest concern is how close two plugs are to each other. Anyone with experience in that problem? Seems to be holding air this morning.

I've hit staples before the 3/4" variety and 1/2" (ya see them in pallet construction quite often) I lucked out once, one prong in edge of tread, the other prong not in the sidewall but rubbing against it, it was also only front flat I ever had, I replaced that tire, but not cause it was plugged, the rear was worn and I just bought a set

of all the tires I have plugged, only once did I have to replace the tire, nail went thru tread at very acute angle, I plugged it, it held air while I was riding, even built up normal pressure from heat, when cooled and sitting, it would loose pressure, couple days later (200-300 miles) started to develop lumpy feeling, tire was beginning to bulge about 5" away from plug, musta broke too many cords and let air infiltrate between plies, I continued to ride it 3 or 4 more days , cool in morning, tire would be round but low on pressure about 5 psi, I would top of and ride, after 100-150 miles, tire would feel lumpy, pressure would be up about 4 psi from cold morning psi, next day, repeat, then I said, naw, this ain't getting any better and replaced it at my first opportunity within a day or so

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

i'd say plug it and go or take the tire off and patch it from the inside which I feel is a better route that plugging

Update: Tire has been holding air just fine for 5 days. Never had to use these plugs before, but sure glad I had them with me! Highly recommend the product.

yep, I had a pretty good result with a plug before...but the tire was almost done anyways, so I eventually replaced it, but the plug lasted longer than the tire