Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

unwelcome passenger

unwelcome passenger

Well just picked up an 2007 R6 about 2 weeks ago from a guy who stored it out in his shed. Just went to check the air filters today and found the damage done from the now gone passenger.

Can anyone tell me what this connector goes to (will determine whether or not the tape job can last until i have a chance to bring it to a shop or should i make it a priority and get it to a shop now). Connector looks similar to one that was attached to the hazards button on my car. It seems like its nothing major as the wires are far from any decent gage size. Just taped them up for now to prevent a short of some sort but by no means is this permanent

These pictures were taking looking down under the gas tank towards the front of the bike. I am looking at the green connector.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: unwelcome passenger

Go to walmart. Purchase a soldering iron and some shrink wrap for 25 dollars. Have at it.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

May go to water temp sensor.

EDIT: I would say my reading comp sucks, but i cant lie, i didnt read shit... :fact

as for soldering iron and shrink wrap, DO NOT go that route unless you are comfortable pulling the contact out of the connector and doing a proper repair. I can fix that easy for ya if you need help, but my schedule is pretty fucked up as of late.

PM me

-Keith

btw, even if its not major, the problems it can cause down the line are a nightmare, and it almost looks as if it was a splice gone terribly wrong. people that do that to wiring should be tarred and feathered, or at the very least tazed with 50k volts

Last edited by R1; 10-13-10 at 07:43 PM.

I am not completely comfortable going the shrink wrap route (my soldering skills are shakey at best)....

R1 I would like take you up on that offer. just let me know when you can give me a hand and I will try to meet up... the tap should hold it for the time being but I would like to fix it proper...

Quote Originally Posted by OC_R6 View Post
    I am not completely comfortable going the shrink wrap route (my soldering skills are shakey at best)....

R1 I would like take you up on that offer. just let me know when you can give me a hand and I will try to meet up... the tap should hold it for the time being but I would like to fix it proper...
    any chance you could bring it up to lowell?

I am going to be working on my bikes this weekend so i will be in the garage all day Saturday and Sunday

if the week works best i have class Friday til 2....

-Keith

I can also help with the repairs but you're gonna have to come up to NH. Pretty much free this weekend other than the normal list of chores....laundry and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I can also help with the repairs but you're gonna have to come up to NH. Pretty much free this weekend other than the normal list of chores....laundry and such.
    YERRR TAKIN MY JERRRRRRB!!!!!

Maybe so but the thing is, I'm gonna make the new guy do my laundry while I fix his motorcycle so he can ride flah tout without any worries.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Maybe so but the thing is, I'm gonna make the new guy do my laundry while I fix his motorcycle so he can ride flah tout without any worries.
    *checks laundry room*

SHIT!!!! one step ahead of the game Paul, one step ahead....

oh you guys crack me up....

Keith I may be able to get up to lowell this weekend but I may not be able to (have to work saturday and need to go up to see ted about a helmet)
    I will check tomorrow on the time of everything and will get back to you.

oh you guys crack me up....

Keith I may be able to get up to lowell this weekend but I may not be able to (have to work saturday and need to go up to see ted about a helmet)
    I will check tomorrow on the time of everything and will get back to you.
    no problem, shoot me a message this week and let me know how your schedule looks... i am m-f with school and the times vary....

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    EDIT: I would say my reading comp sucks, but i cant lie, i didnt read shit... :fact

as for soldering iron and shrink wrap, DO NOT go that route unless you are comfortable pulling the contact out of the connector and doing a proper repair. I can fix that easy for ya if you need help, but my schedule is pretty fucked up as of late.

PM me

-Keith

btw, even if its not major, the problems it can cause down the line are a nightmare, and it almost looks as if it was a splice gone terribly wrong. people that do that to wiring should be tarred and feathered, or at the very least tazed with 50k volts
    Just curious, why do you have to pull the contact out of the connector? Can't you just disconnect the battery, cut the wire, slide the shrink wrap over, solder up, and then heat up the shrink wrap?

^genuine question

looking at just the photo its hard to tell how badly stripped the wire is.... i am assuming its less than a half inch of shielding left on the wire from the connector to the ripped spot and just from my own experience you will easily be able to do the method you described, but once water gets up in there you are on your way to a major failure.

without it being known just what it is in the first place it goes back to the old "better to be safe than sorry"

removing the contact you can taper a couple pieces of teflon tubing from the contact up essentially forming a new sleeve for the wire. now granted you will NEVER be able to remove all the contamination you will be able to help reduce the effects...

just my .02 on wiring problems...

Ok... so because the damage is so close to the connector its better to take everything apart?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    Ok... so because the damage is so close to the connector its better to take everything apart?
    its not really taking everything apart...

most contacts can be slid out of the connectors in a matter of minutes... all in all its about 30 minutes worth of work...

I am not saying its the only way to fix it, but hell technically speaking if it carries enough current then just loosing a couple strands can mean having to replace the whole section of wire from the contact up. without having a spec contact the only way to proceed would be to solder the wire directly to the contact etc...

Its an overly complex way to say (Its fixed permanently)

The way i see it, is if you had serious plumbing problems at your house right at the fittings would you replace the fittings and fix it properly so it doesnt leak or would you just throw a rubber seal around it clamp it down tight and hope it holds...

sure they both work, but from a peace of mind standpoint id replace all the fittings...

I would assume so to make sure its completely sealed. And i am a personal fan of better to be safe then sorry...
    @Keith looks like degsy can fix it for me since i will be in the area already. I will let you know how it pans out though.

I would assume so to make sure its completely sealed. And i am a personal fan of better to be safe then sorry...
    @Keith looks like degsy can fix it for me since i will be in the area already. I will let you know how it pans out though.
    Degs has you covered...

Lifer

Mice and other rodents can do a nasty job on your bike if it is stored in a shed or barn. I have had several that I have had to rewire, but mostly, they seem to like making a nest in the air box, and they chew up foam filters for bedding.
    I have read that placing moth balls in the air box, and tucking them into places on the bike/quad/sled will prevent this. I have also read that peppermint oil works well.
    Does anybody know if these methods work? Or if there are other methods?

this link might not work: http://www.brocktoncycle.com/fiche_s...007&fveh=18081

but go to a Yamaha dealer's website and go to the OEM parts fiche. key in your bike & go to the gas tank section. if your green wire isn't attached to the fuel pump, then you might have to check other parts on the website to see what part of the wire harness you're checking.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

They also make some liguid electical tape......

that looks like the connector for the Flux Capacitor. The damage to those wires may directly impact your ability to go back in time.

Dam slammp... I really wanted to go check out the civil war... guess i will have to wait for that trip..

on a serious note, I would buy the shrink wrap, cut the wire, reattached it (twist and very light solder, and melt the shrink wrap over it. Easy job and definitely not worth a trip to the dealer. You actually don't even need to solder it if you twist it good the shrink wrap will hold it just fine - but solder is a better way to go.

problem is that the wire mouse chewed right next to the plug so i am probably gonna need a new wire for that pin just incase... Degsy has me covered though and should have it fixed saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast