Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Recommended Rivet tool

Recommended Rivet tool

POP RIVET TOOL NOT A CHAIN RIVET TOOL

Ok so i have one of the off the shelf pop-rivet tools and its definitely nowhere near as good as i was hoping for.

I did the rivets this weekend for * *** * ****** ******* and I had 2 misaligned and not tighten down good enough

I realize this had partly to do with the user, but the problem is for this application for me to even correct the 2 rivets that are off i need remove all of them and re-assemble.

so heres my question(s)

is there a better tool on the market that will guaranteed tighten them down to proper levels (no spec really just tight enough to stop from rattling under very very high vibration)?

Should i just re-use mine as there arent any better out there?

If anyone has one is there a chance of letting me borrow it for a day at the most?

Does anyone have a pneumatic pop rivet tool?

can you adjust the amount of torque?

ideally i would like to go this road as i am sure they are way more reliable and easier to get that little extra out of....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Recommended Rivet tool

Did I meet you at the track last weekend?

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

if the rivet rattles then the size chosen for the hole diameter and depth was not the right one (typically). the mandrel may be popping too early allowing the rivet to be loose.. but that would be a crappy quality or improper sized rivet for the application

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Did I meet you at the track last weekend?
    nope. i havent been to the track since last year

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    if the rivet rattles then the size chosen for the hole diameter and depth was not the right one (typically). the mandrel may be popping too early allowing the rivet to be loose.. but that would be a crappy quality or improper sized rivet for the application

alright then.

apparently you didnt read how i fucked it up.

all the other rivets are fine its a matter of not putting enough pressure on the rivet when i secured it and after i inspected them all i noticed it was not flush with the material. so i had the bright idea to use a rubber mallet to just push it in a little further and bingo a rivet that rattles.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Using the mallet was the problem.

As far as rivet tools... I bought a craftsman one for about $20 and it works great.

It also helps to get good quality rivets too. Aluminum won't hold nearly as hard or long as steel, and stainless is probably the best you can get. The aluminum will also react if you pu them in steel and corrode, helping to loosen them even more.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post

alright then.

apparently you didnt read how i fucked it up.

all the other rivets are fine its a matter of not putting enough pressure on the rivet when i secured it and after i inspected them all i noticed it was not flush with the material. so i had the bright idea to use a rubber mallet to just push it in a little further and bingo a rivet that rattles.
    hmm. well sadly there is no tool which can completely overcome operator error

and since you know the cause of the problem, i'm not sure what you are looking for. Any pop rivet tool would do the same thing in the same circumstances.

As far as tightening down to a specific level, the diameter and type of mandrel (the pin that pops) determines how tight the rivet will be when it is done, assuming you hold it flush while pulling it down. you need to use the right rivet for the application. for the rivet, probably stainless is better than aluminum, and the largest head/mandrel size that will fit.

There are better and worse tools out there for sure.. i have a $55 matco swivel head pop rivet tool that i bough twhen i was in the auto trades. its a great tool, but it still only does what i make it do.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Lifer

Go with the steel rivets - they hold up over time better. The aluminum ones will loosen with vibration. Drill the hole the right size - the rivet should need to be pushed through, not slip in easy. Use the right length - you should have a good sized bulb on the inside when you're done. If you're holding plastic pieces together try to use the backup washers.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

the rivets used are SS rivets

it was indeed operator error and yes the malet was a poor decision.

Ill get some more SS rivets and try it again.

If i have the same problem then i guess i was just not meant to install rivets into any high vibrations systems

that or not use the rubber mallet.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As I'm sure you've already figured out and know. Make sure the rivet head is flush with the material.

Also, maybe do a short pull on the mandrel, until you feel good resistance. Let go, make sure the head is flush, then do your final pull to secure. That worked for me in recent history.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

The only part that sucks here is that 10 rivets worked perfectly or I should say installed perfectly yet because 2 are suspect the whole system needs to be re done.