Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Removing Metal Chips From the Engine

Removing Metal Chips From the Engine

A couple of months ago I low sided my bike at the track and it ground a hole in the right side engine cover. I finally got around to removing it and realized a few pieces of the cover had fallen into the inside. I "think" I got them all but can't be sure. So what would be the suggestion for flushing out the bottom end of the engine to make sure I get all the pieces out? Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Removing Metal Chips From the Engine

hopefully you haven't started the engine since. pull the oil pan off and the clutch cover off and clean it out. if you have started it since then do all that and change the oil filter and hope nothing got in the bearings or clogged an oil passage.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Run a few quarts threw it with the drain plug out. Then fill up and dump it again after the first 100mi of riding?

If it's in the bottom of the case it should get stopped by the oil pick up's screen. If not, then the filter will stop it. But "should" is a dangerous word.

Edit: After reading CBR's reply, that sounds like a better plan. I might run a few quarts threw in the hopes of washing everything down in to the pan, then drop the pan to clean it. And for good measure, change the oil after the first ~100mi.

Last edited by aldend123; 08-21-13 at 11:40 AM.
    nedirtriders.com

Drain oil and coolant. Rev at redline for 45 minutes. No more worries about metal bits.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Drain oil and coolant. Rev at redline for 45 minutes. No more worries about metal bits.
    I'll bet $100 and give you 10 to 1 odds you can't make it 45 mins at redline and I'll let you keep the coolant.

Good contribution though.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerXnh10 View Post
    I'll bet $100 and give you 10 to 1 odds you can't make it 45 mins at redline and I'll let you keep the coolant.

Good contribution though.
    HAHAAHAHA......There is a VID of a old Dino ZX6 i think that has no coolant in it and it has the throttle tap wide Open......you would be very suprised at how long it lasts and I would take that bet

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    HAHAAHAHA......There is a VID of a old Dino ZX6 i think that has no coolant in it and it has the throttle tap wide Open......you would be very suprised at how long it lasts and I would take that bet
    I saw an old Maxim triple setup for that torture. Bets were taken on how long it'd last... It ran out of gas first, blew a chunk out of the front cases and was eventually shut off by the kill switch at the end of the event.

I've seen it. It went a RIDICULOUS amount of time. Smoking and spitting and boiling and burning and it just sat there banging on the rev limiter.

I was talking about with the oil drained ... said he could keep his coolant. Figured the motor would be done before the thermostat opened.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! Or at least most of the suggestions!! But you do realize there are some people out there that would actual try what dontpanic suggested!!

I havent started it because every drop of oil drained out of the hole when it was on its side......... and onto the track............ (yeah, I was popular that day) plus I needed to replace the oil pressure sensor......

we had a small block ford go over 3 hours with no oil or water....never blew we shut it off and it seized up tighter than you could imagine

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I remember that vid, been looking for it but can't find it

fwiw, many years ago a friend of mine tried blowing a Mopar 225 ci slant 6, first we ran it without coolant for close to 2 hours before it seized , after it cooled the next day we ran it without coolant or oil, it ran for easily 45 minutes or more before it seized

a few days later someone came looking for a slant 6 to replace his blown motor, we put oil & coolant into it started it up, didn't hear any knocks so we sold it to him for $50, the guy used that engine for another 50,000 miles

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

fwiw, many years ago a friend of mine tried blowing a Mopar 225 ci slant 6, first we ran it without coolant for close to 2 hours before it seized , after it cooled the next day we ran it without coolant or oil, it ran for easily 45 minutes or more before it seized

a few days later someone came looking for a slant 6 to replace his blown motor, we put oil & coolant into it started it up, didn't hear any knocks so we sold it to him for $50, the guy used that engine for another 50,000 miles
    Thats nuts. When I raced karts I blew a 4 stroke motor in 2 laps because we forgot to put new oil in after draining it. Stuck a couple of 2 strokes later in life just running them a bit lean ... one was a direct drive kart and it took me for quite a ride when it seized at the end of a straight.

I just can't imagine a motor with no oil sitting on the rev limiter. Kind of makes me sick thinking about it.

Load vs. No load makes an incredible difference.

In a previous life I might have spent some time on reasonably big diesel engines. Testing in the shop, running them up to (and beyond) rev limits was one thing. Hooking them to 55k lbs and asking them to accelerate was another.

If it won't sustain redline under no load (at least for 30 seconds), don't bother sending it out... if you aren't comfortable taking it to redline, you shouldn't be comfortable sending it out.

do you have a magnetic drain plug?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    do you have a magnetic drain plug?
    They make aluminum magnets now?! Awesome!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

That was a slant six.

After a nuclear explosion, the only things left moving on the planet will be cockroaches, slant sixes, V-Stroms, and Cher.....

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    That was a slant six.

After a nuclear explosion, the only things left moving on the planet will be cockroaches, slant sixes, V-Stroms, and Cher.....
    I would actually take a jeep 4.0 over a slant 6 anyday

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON