Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Reviving an old friend

Question Reviving an old friend

So for various reasons my bike (2k5 gsxr 750) has been sitting on stands in the corner of my garage for over 4 years. When I put it away I changed the oil, and for some reason put new tires on it, and plan on draining the gas before I bring it out, and obviously look over all the seals and giving all nuts/bolts a once over. It needed new front pads & rotors and a chain when I put it away and will be doing those as well & flush the rear break with some new fluid, I was just wondering if I should look at, take care of anything else before I set out. Also how long would you go before doing an oil change after letting bike sit that long? Not sure if it makes a difference but the bike has 28,0000 miles and all oil services were done on time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: Reviving an old friend

Do an oil change straight away, any condensation from storage should be taken care of after doing a flush. Also be careful not to break your brakes.

CCS/LRRS #83

Why Lie? It Was Me.... HO-HUM-R1's Avatar

Re: Reviving an old friend

since you're gonna drain the gas I'm assuming it was completely full for storage? if not, peek in the tank with a flash light for rust...(should be fine) Change the oil before you run it at all (condensation as noted above) Would be a good idea to change the brake fluid on the front also, and test to be sure the caliper pistons are moving freely. Hopefully the new tires didn't dry out while sitting. Just take a look at all the moving parts, and make sure they still move freely...
    Also if you're picking up fluids, grab a can of cylinder fog lubricant, pull the plugs and hit each cylinder, put the plugs back in, do the other stuff while it sits to give it a chance to soak in a little. This may be unnecessary but if the bike has been sitting for that long and it wasn't fogged before storage there could be a little sticking between the walls and rings.

BTW... I have been known to be a little over cautious...lol

Last edited by HO-HUM-R1; 02-27-12 at 11:50 AM.
    2006 Yamaha R1, Graves Full Exhaust, BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, K&N Air Filter, EGR Blockoffs, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Power Commander 5, Stealth 520 Conversion -1/+1, FP levers, Ohlins shock, Ohlins fg327 forks, Ohlins steering damper, Sato racing rearsets, Goodridge SS shadow brakelines, EBC Extreme pads, Braking SK wave rotors F&R. few other appearance mods.