Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ricks stators?

Lifer

Ricks stators?

Og 750 lost it's stator way up ny so I need a replacement. Everyone says go with ricks stators but reviews seems to lead towards they are just a cheaper replacement that will burn out quicker than OEM. Ricks themselves say they are better than OEM at half the cost so I don't know what to believe.

Does anyone have any real world experience with them? It's not a matter of cost, I want longevity.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ricks stators?

I had one in my V-Strom 1000, I've had 4 stator failures, 3 oem, 1 Ricks, can't say it was any better or any worse

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have bought 3 different ones from Ricks in the past 20 years .

Always brought in the core and rode away with the rebuilt one .

All worked as they should .

TIMMYDUCK

I have one of theirs waiting to go in my project Duc.
    Started to install it a while back, but the wire length to the grommet was an about 1/2” short. Emailed them a pic, they responded right away to just lube up the wires and slide the grommet down.
    Haven’t gotten around to trying that and reinstalling, but happy with their customer service.
    I also emailed them before ordering as I had a question about which model fits mine and how to measure, and they texted me a PDF right away.

I used a Rick’s stator and RR on my old Sprint RS. Never had a problem with them and the stator looked more robust than the OEM. Having said that, this was more than 10 years ago, not sure the current state of the product.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

i tried one, didnt like it
    helped me get by for the race weekend, then bought OEM

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

rides bikes

Following this. I have a similar skepticism with Rick's.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Had Rick's rebuild a stator for my '06 Husqvarna SM510 and it worked flawlessly when installed onto the bike. This was a few years back so who knows if things are the same but I was happy with their work back then.

I had one in the VFR800, which were notorious for stator issues. It was good.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I love how inconclusive all our reviews are, right in line with what OP said he heard.
    If it was me, I’d go with em if it was logistically easier than ordering oem shipped to me door.
    I’m lazy.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I love how inconclusive all our reviews are, right in line with what OP said he heard.
    If it was me, I’d go with em if it was logistically easier than ordering oem shipped to me door.
    I’m lazy.
    that was reason I went with them the time that I did, it was an option the dealer gave me, get a Rick's here tomorrow, or oem the next delivery date 3 days from now

I have solved my reoccurring failure by taking out the oem shunt RR, the real culprit, and replacing with a serial Shindengen RR

Last edited by RandyO; 08-05-23 at 05:01 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that was reason I went with them the time that I did, it was an option the dealer gave me, get a Rick's here tomorrow, or oem the next delivery date 3 days from now

I have solved my reoccurring failure by taking out the oem shunt RR, the real culprit, and replacing with a serial Shindengen RR
    That's coming up a lot in my searches about ricks stators too. Get the rr from Roadstercycles. The mosfet one they sell is far superior, or so they say.

I think maybe if you have a bike that has notorious stator or RR issues it makes sense to give Ricks a try, especially if it’s cheaper than OEM. That’s why I did it and it worked out great for me. If the stator/RR were not infamous on Triumph 955’s I probably would have stuck with OEM. So are stator problems common on your bike?

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I think maybe if you have a bike that has notorious stator or RR issues it makes sense to give Ricks a try, especially if it’s cheaper than OEM. That’s why I did it and it worked out great for me. If the stator/RR were not infamous on Triumph 955’s I probably would have stuck with OEM. So are stator problems common on your bike?
    many bikes have stator issues due to the oem shunt type RR, swap out for a serial mofset RR fixes the problem

shunt type RRs are a failure waiting to happen, they regulate the voltage by shunting is back to ground and dissipating the energy as heat, burning out the stator coils

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

So I'm going with ricks stator for the stator part but went with Roadstercycles for the mosfet reg diy kit. I liked the fact that I could bypass the entire OEM wiring assembly with a circuit breaker type system.

High maintenance priss

I've used Ricks stators 2 or 3 times over the years when OEM died. They've also helped me source individual parts and are currently doing a custom wind of my D675 track bike stator for lower amperage (keep wiring and R/R heat issues at bay). They are responsive and I've never had an issue with any of their stators.

Lifer

My Roadstercycles mosfet rr is in. I got the diy kit which has everything you need mostly. I did opt for the extended 3ft stator wire kit which was a good thing because the extended kit just barely makes it to the stator area. I'm going to completely bypass the OEM wiring for this. It comes with a 30a breaker to replace the OEM blade fuse so im going directly from the stator to the rr to battery using a custom harness. No more melted plugs for me.
    I'm still waiting on my ricks stator. Maybe this week.