Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

LITTLE HELP!!!

Question LITTLE HELP!!!

OK so I am attempting to finish up the maintence on my bike and install some new parts...and I have some concerns...

I need to so the 12k checkup and change my valve cover gasket, install a new exh....etc...etc..

welll while I was stripping the bike down I noticed a little puddle of coolant on my block that appeared to be coming from the heads...looking like some HG seapage..or whatever.. Now I am positive it was not leaking whne i put it away...and am pretty sure that it only started after I trailered it to my friends place..

After talking with some people I guess it is not unheard of for gaskets to leak a little inthe extreme cold and if nothing is warped they will re-seat...

So I through the exh on quickly to get a heat cycle to make sure of this...because I will be taking part of it off for the valve cover....

I start it and notice that atelast one of the headers is leaking...which is fine for now becase they are comming off again...so I let it idle for like 15-20 mins....at first I pulled the choke(??the Fi version which turns the idle up to around 4k and leans it out a little)vrooming it a little bit...and get it up to 200

And while the idle is up the headers start to turn red...noticably red...not bright bright red but enough to cause some concern for me...

mind you it is dark out as well...I am not sure if it would be that noticible inthe daylight....

What could cause this...is it normal... maybe the fact the headers are no seated properly?

Inquiring minds want to know....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

LITTLE HELP!!!

jeep did the same thing when i installed the headers. but the jeep was running dangerously lean. FI shouldn't be doing that.

sanity check... make sure there is no blockages in the exhaust and that the intake isn't leaking air into the intake path somewhere... then...

warm it up and kill the choke and see if they cool off right there before your eyes.

Its more than likely a burn in on the headers.

i think the headers on that bike get pretty hot to start with.... the stainless stock ones have turned all kinds of blue and purple from heat cycling on mine.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    jeep did the same thing when i installed the headers. but the jeep was running dangerously lean. FI shouldn't be doing that.

sanity check... make sure there is no blockages in the exhaust and that the intake isn't leaking air into the intake path somewhere... then...

warm it up and kill the choke and see if they cool off right there before your eyes.

Its more than likely a burn in on the headers.

i think the headers on that bike get pretty hot to start with.... the stainless stock ones have turned all kinds of blue and purple from heat cycling on mine.
    no blockages...i checked that

and the red did diminish when i turned the idle down....

the intake deal? there really is not path...the air box connects directly to the...whatever you call that part on an FI bike...lol But I cut the top of the air box off...like most z1k owners....

and my stock headers turned blue all the way to were the pipes connect to them...even the pipes a little...lol

am I just being paraniod?

also they are used headres so i dunno about the burnin deal...

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

LITTLE HELP!!!

that sounds TOOOOO hot.
    no way should the blueing reach the pipe itself... start looking for air leaks!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    that sounds TOOOOO hot.
    no way should the blueing reach the pipe itself... start looking for air leaks!
    well maybe i am exagerating a little bit...it looks gradual and not that different from other bikes i have seen....

but i will start looking...but there is not much room for leaks....

LITTLE HELP!!!

dude the motors blown, i'll give ya $50 for the bike!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

LITTLE HELP!!!

DICK!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

LITTLE HELP!!!

Do you have a Power Commander or anything on the bike that can dump more fuel in to compensate for the fact that you opened up the air box? It could be a situation that the factory computer doesn't have a wide enough range of fuel parameters, and your opening up the airbox and running the throttle advance creating a lean condition that the factory injection map can't compensate for.

Did you open up the airbox and put a better flowing exhaust on there or just the airbox mod? If so this is even more a possibility of a lean condition.

Just a thought.

I'm no mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.............

L8R

Joel

Everybody to the limit!

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by bigred875
    the intake deal? there really is not path...the air box connects directly to the...whatever you call that part on an FI bike
    It's a throttle body

IDIOT!

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by tls25rs
    Do you have a Power Commander or anything on the bike that can dump more fuel in to compensate for the fact that you opened up the air box? It could be a situation that the factory computer doesn't have a wide enough range of fuel parameters, and your opening up the airbox and running the throttle advance creating a lean condition that the factory injection map can't compensate for.

Did you open up the airbox and put a better flowing exhaust on there or just the airbox mod? If so this is even more a possibility of a lean condition.

Just a thought.

I'm no mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.............

L8R

Joel
    i see where you are going with this...I dont have a pc3

but there are other guys on my z1k forum that have the same set upi as I do and they do not have a problem...and all i did was modify the airbox cover...

I am starting to think I am over-reacting..lol

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    It's a throttle body

IDIOT!
    hhmm...well thanks for telling my the name of the part..

now let's go reveiw some of your maint. threads

Everybody to the limit!

LITTLE HELP!!!

hhmm...well thanks for telling my the name of the part..

now let's go reveiw some of your maint. threads
    I break stuff alot.

LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    I break stuff alot.

Re: LITTLE HELP!!!

OK so I am attempting to finish up the maintence on my bike and install some new parts...and I have some concerns...

I need to so the 12k checkup and change my valve cover gasket, install a new exh....etc...etc..

welll while I was stripping the bike down I noticed a little puddle of coolant on my block that appeared to be coming from the heads...looking like some HG seapage..or whatever.. Now I am positive it was not leaking whne i put it away...and am pretty sure that it only started after I trailered it to my friends place..

After talking with some people I guess it is not unheard of for gaskets to leak a little inthe extreme cold and if nothing is warped they will re-seat...

So I through the exh on quickly to get a heat cycle to make sure of this...because I will be taking part of it off for the valve cover....

I start it and notice that atelast one of the headers is leaking...which is fine for now becase they are comming off again...so I let it idle for like 15-20 mins....at first I pulled the choke(??the Fi version which turns the idle up to around 4k and leans it out a little)vrooming it a little bit...and get it up to 200

And while the idle is up the headers start to turn red...noticably red...not bright bright red but enough to cause some concern for me...

mind you it is dark out as well...I am not sure if it would be that noticible inthe daylight....

What could cause this...is it normal... maybe the fact the headers are no seated properly?

Inquiring minds want to know....
    But did the HG leak go away?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

LITTLE HELP!!!

you know... i been thinking about this....
    that thing must be leaning out. there is no feedback in the fuel injection system on that thing right? how would it know to put more fuel in to compensate for the scavenged exhaust gases thanks to the headers and pipe!

Get it re-mapped. (pc3 or whatever)

those yahoos that havent done anything with theres... are probaby burning there exhaust valves.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Re: Re: LITTLE HELP!!!

Originally posted by Rye
    But did the HG leak go away?
    yes it did...

and I am sure it is running lean...it turned red when I pulled the *choke* thingy....i forget what they call it since it really isnt a choke...but it turns the idle up and leans it out a great deal....and faded dramatically when i turned it off...

I think I am all set...lol thx guys