Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rivet style link?

Everybody to the limit!

Rivet style link?

I just got my rear sprocket in and am ready to do the 520 conversion. Only thing is, my chain came with a clip style link, and I'd prefer to rivet it on. Do I just rivet the clip link on with the rivet tool, or is there a special link I should buy? If so, where from?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rivet style link?

just use the clip master link. i bought that stupid rivet tool (actually its great for chain removal) but i have yet to find a master link that comes with a new chain be a rivet type, and they have all held up fine!!!

oh yea, its a different master link for riveting, you'll probably have to go get one.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Rivet style link?

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    just use the clip master link. i bought that stupid rivet tool (actually its great for chain removal) but i have yet to find a master link that comes with a new chain be a rivet type, and they have all held up fine!!!

oh yea, its a different master link for riveting, you'll probably have to go get one.
    Any chance you'd lend out the tool? Last time I needed one I borrowed it from Jeff but I think he moved to Portland OR or someplace really far away like that. I go through Merrimack on my way to and from work in the Winter...

Everybody to the limit!

Rivet style link?

i bought that stupid rivet tool
    As did I. Why do you think I'm trying to rivet the chain? Gotta justify the expenditure somehow

I may use the clip link temporarily, but I'd like to have it riveted on for VIR. I figure I've got the tool anyhow, and it's worth a bit of piece of mind to hunt down a rivet.

I thought the chain tool would come with rivets

Dave you're welcome to borrow my rivet tool whenever, don't tell me you've worn out that chain already tho?

Rivet style link?

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Any chance you'd lend out the tool? Last time I needed one I borrowed it from Jeff but I think he moved to Portland OR or someplace really far away like that. I go through Merrimack on my way to and from work in the Winter...
    yea man, no prob.
    pm me, we'll set something up.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Rivet style link?

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    As did I. Why do you think I'm trying to rivet the chain? Gotta justify the expenditure somehow

I may use the clip link temporarily, but I'd like to have it riveted on for VIR. I figure I've got the tool anyhow, and it's worth a bit of piece of mind to hunt down a rivet.

I thought the chain tool would come with rivets

Dave you're welcome to borrow my rivet tool whenever, don't tell me you've worn out that chain already tho?
    You gotta ask for a rivet link when you buy a chain. My chain is still good but I am going to be assisting a friend with a chain and sprocket replacement on a Triumph Thunderbird sport in the near future and thought it would be great to borrow a tool being so cheap and all. Thanks for the offer of use.

Rivet style link?

yea man, no prob.
    pm me, we'll set something up.
    Cheers. I'll borrow one of them...

Rivet style link?

He right about having to purchase a rivet link seperatly. In some cases though you get a rivet link with the chain.

If you are going to use a master link its not a bad idea to clean the masterlink clip and side plate that it going to be mounted to with a bit of contact cleaner (don't spray it on the chain, use a rag to wipe it on) and then put a dab of RTV on there and install the clip. This is just another way to make sure it stays on there

Christopher Aho

Re: Rivet style link?

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    I just got my rear sprocket in and am ready to do the 520 conversion. Only thing is, my chain came with a clip style link, and I'd prefer to rivet it on. Do I just rivet the clip link on with the rivet tool, or is there a special link I should buy? If so, where from?

Thanks.
    Go get a rivet link from a shop. They rarely have 'em in stock, but on more than one occasion they've opened up the DID page and ordered one fo me. Not sure what kind of chain you've got but most mfg. sell both clip and rivet. I've never had an issue with clip...currently ones on my bike. I just safety wired it and put a dab of RTV. For peace of mind get the rivet if it bugs you that much. I prefer them too, but take what's available.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Banned

Rivet style link?

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    You gotta ask for a rivet link when you buy a chain.

A good chain will come with a rivet link in the box.

...a crap chain won't.

derek

Rivet style link?

yeah no kiddn....I never seen a decent brand chain with a master link anyhow - all the folks in the know say your crazy to run a master link

-John
    FZR1000
    www.fzr1000exup.com

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Rivet style link?

I have been running Regina Chains for years with a clip type link. If you install the correctly they do not come off. I run the clip link on my KTM all year until it wears out I've never lost one...ever.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Banned

Rivet style link?

If you unstall the clip the right way round they rarely come off, and if they do, the sideplate usually stays on anyway.

However, I have lost a clip-type chain once out in LA. The clip was on correctly and it was RTV'd over. I lost the chain on Angeles Crest, It was lying in a dead straight line on the road.

I'll be using rivets from now on.

derek