Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a Tune - QUICK - Who Should I See??

Need a Tune - QUICK - Who Should I See??

Just got back from Bomo, great time! HOWEVER

Iglu pointed out that while my lines look good and I'm carrying quite a bit of corner speed my bike just isn't pulling down the straights. I couldn't escape his EX down the front straight!

99 - R6 - Dynoed a few years ago at 113 hp, the bike had been sitting for some time. Probably just needs the valves adjusted/synched and the carbs tuned up.

Any good shops in the Worcester/Metrowest area that could do this well and do it quick? I'm running LAPS next tuesday and want to have it tuned up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Re: Need a Tune - QUICK - Who Should I See??

Why didnt you just got see rob who had his dyno there all weekend?

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

ummm hello... Landrics Customs to the rescue..... give me a call. 774-200-6395

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    Why didnt you just got see rob who had his dyno there all weekend?
    Rob said he could readjust the carbs and what not but he couldn't do that valving and suggested I get that done first for the most effectiveness. He actually advised me not to have him dyno tune it because it could be a waste of money if I wasn't positive the valving was right.

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    ummm hello... Landrics Customs to the rescue..... give me a call. 774-200-6395
    Thanks dude - I will call you today.

there is no way a 99 r6 is pulling 113 hp......

Hey Matt - still having problems pulling in the upper RPM's?? Valves should not need to be adjusted with only 8-9k miles. I've never had a problem at all, and just because she sat, shouldn't be an issue.

Pull the carburators and have a look at them. If you want to meet me after work some night, we can go thru it together, as I'm used to ripping them out and reinstalling quickly. Shoot me a PM, and we can sort it out.
    Thanks

ps...bike will absolutely pull 113

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I will scan and post the dyno sheet from when it was dyno'd. It was pulling 113hp.

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post
    Hey Matt - still having problems pulling in the upper RPM's?? Valves should not need to be adjusted with only 8-9k miles. I've never had a problem at all, and just because she sat, shouldn't be an issue.

Pull the carburators and have a look at them. If you want to meet me after work some night, we can go thru it together, as I'm used to ripping them out and reinstalling quickly. Shoot me a PM, and we can sort it out.
    Thanks

ps...bike will absolutely pull 113
    I am sending you an email now - that would be perfect as I would love to learn how to go through it myself.

For the valve adjustment, make sure the engine is stone cold prior to doing the work....sitting at least 12hrs.

im sure the dyno sheet will say 113...any dyno guy can fub the numbers no prob. no 99 600 was pulling 113 to the rear wheel. they dont pull that in 2010.

im not one to argue........so believe what you will....

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

im sure the dyno sheet will say 113...any dyno guy can fub the numbers no prob. no 99 600 was pulling 113 to the rear wheel. they dont pull that in 2010.

im not one to argue........so believe what you will....
    Some Dynos Read high The Dynojet one are rumored to be 10+% optimistic compared to the ASRA Dyno.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.734 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Those 99 R6s were pretty revolutionary but 113 is definitely a bit optimistic, even with a pipe and jet kit.

In any case he didn't get an inch away from me on the straight.

Something is really wrong with that bike. Unless of course my bike gained 50hp......

Check the valves. 8-9k miles is plenty soon enough for them to tighten up. Just because they shouldn't, doesn't mean they didn't.

Also open up the airbox and look for evidence of critter houses.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    In any case he didn't get an inch away from me on the straight.

Something is really wrong with that bike. Unless of course my bike gained 50hp......

Check the valves. 8-9k miles is plenty soon enough for them to tighten up. Just because they shouldn't, doesn't mean they didn't.

Justin and I are going through it tomorrow - it will be a different animal for LAPS!

As far as the hp is concerned - I have the dyno sheet and I'll go with the numbers that were given. Either way Clayton should not be pulling on me with his EX in the straights, regardless of horsepower!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

I think you have friends

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    I think you have friends

I had this issue the beginning of the race season on my EX. Damn thing felt like it was running on one cylinder... turns out I had a family of mices in the airbox. Cleaned it out (and all the passages, routes into the airbox... they are invasive lil bastids that'll find the smallest of holes to home up in) and all was back to normal.

i agree here. unless it was a fully built motor with cams, bored, with 112 octane gas. even then, i still dont see a 99 R6 getting 113 hp.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post

I had this issue the beginning of the race season on my EX. Damn thing felt like it was running on one cylinder... turns out I had a family of mices in the airbox. Cleaned it out (and all the passages, routes into the airbox... they are invasive lil bastids that'll find the smallest of holes to home up in) and all was back to normal.
    they don't take much time to set up shop either. Had my new bike less than 2 weeks and pulled it apart last wednesday to install my quick turn throttle. had a mouse and couple babies under the seat. Brought the 929 to the garage from the shed to pull the throttle off and could smell the mouse in there. 1 mom and 3 babies in the airbox plus nest and "bathroom" that bike had only been sitting for just over 2 weeks. stupid shed way in the back yard.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I store the race bike in a shed in the back yard. My garage mates laugh, but one of the first things I do every race weekend now is cut the bodywork off and check for mice in the airbox, etc. Fucked if I'm running 1:45's because of that again!

OK - Well if that is the case that it is impossible for this bike to make that power then I'm happy I did not have the bike done by Rob's Dyno at the racetrack because he dyno'd the bike for those numbers in April 07. I have the original dyno sheet, and based upon all the talking up they were doing for him at the track, I thought he was pretty reputable guy. Guess not, oh well.

For anyone that cares the exact numbers were: HP - 112.76 : Toque - 48.77

If these numbers aren't correct then I don't know why people are paying hundreds of dollars for tunes and dyno numbers.

As to the original question - I am bringing the bike to Justin's house tomorrow night for some wrench time. He is going to teach me how to pull the carbs off and really go through it to get it running tip top. Then it will be off to LAPS to see what it can do again!

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    As to the original question - I am bringing the bike to Justin's house tomorrow night for some wrench time. He is going to teach me how to pull the carbs off and really go through it to get it running tip top. Then it will be off to LAPS to see what it can do again!
    You should have swung by at Bomo... I could have pulled your carbs when I was working on mine, also on a first gen R6

Last season mine felt really sluggish but in addition to changing the gearing, and installing the Ivan's jet kit I replaced the air filter and this season its a whole different animal.

Last edited by Femmekat; 08-16-10 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

OK - Well if that is the case that it is impossible for this bike to make that power then I'm happy I did not have the bike done by Rob's Dyno at the racetrack because he dyno'd the bike for those numbers in April 07. I have the original dyno sheet, and based upon all the talking up they were doing for him at the track, I thought he was pretty reputable guy. Guess not, oh well.

For anyone that cares the exact numbers were: HP - 112.76 : Toque - 48.77

If these numbers aren't correct then I don't know why people are paying hundreds of dollars for tunes and dyno numbers.

its possible but I'd say you need some work done to the bike. full exhaust, good jet kit and tune and probably headwork. but remember dynos all read different and its always gonna be different depending on weather conditions that day even with correction factors. the number isn't really all that important, how smooth the curve is.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    its possible but I'd say you need some work done to the bike. full exhaust, good jet kit and tune and probably headwork. but remember dynos all read different and its always gonna be different depending on weather conditions that day even with correction factors. the number isn't really all that important, how smooth the curve is.
    It has a full pipe and jet kit - after that I'm not sure - Justin would know better as he built it. Either way all that's important to me is that it's running right. I was more annoyed that I posted up a maintenance question and prefaced it by saying this is the hp the bike dyno'd at but it's being pulled by an EX on the track. Half the answers were "no way the bike dyno'd at that."

I do appreciate all the constructive responses though!

It has a full pipe and jet kit - after that I'm not sure - Justin would know better as he built it. Either way all that's important to me is that it's running right. I was more annoyed that I posted up a maintenance question and prefaced it by saying this is the hp the bike dyno'd at but it's being pulled by an EX on the track. Half the answers were "no way the bike dyno'd at that."

I do appreciate all the constructive responses though!
    yeah I think some people kind of missed the point. it doesn't matter how high the number is, a strong EX500 should never pull on even a weak older R6 (unless there's a huge rider weight discrepancy). assuming both are competent riders which I believe both of you are.

Pm sent

There is no way that EX500 is pushing 113 Hp maybe 100 But not 113.

I think I ran a race on that EX500. its not fast

I think its air or fuel for sure. the the valves not so much. I would go through the whole induction system. then clean the carbs and sink them. those carbed R6's are good bikes you will be fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast