Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

running like shit. help!

  1. #1
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    i've had the zx-9 for about two months. in the past week i've really had some problems. first the directionals have been speeding up than go back to normal. i'm told this maybe a resister problem in the intergraded tail light set up.

    saterday i went on a group ride and it started to give me problems starting. first i hit the starter in gear, clutch in, bike on, nothing. put in neutral, clutch out it started. next start neither worked rolled it foward alittle it started. next time wouldn't do anything no matter what i did. had to jump start to get home. i let it sit about 45 mins and it started right up.

    the last problem is it runs like shit below 2750 rpm. feels like its missing. sputters etc.. the bike has a pipe but i don't know if its jetted right. could this be made worse by the humid weather? i thinking it probley needs plugs at this point as they may be fouled.

    i made an appointment at the shop a week from friday. thats a long time from now and will probley be alot of jing i can ill afford. anybody have the time and know how to help me fix this pig before that? i'll glady throw some $ your way for the help.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,231

    running like shit. help!

    If it makes you feel any better my VFR stalled this morning on a 1-2 shift.

    The idle speed was too low.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by benVFR
    If it makes you feel any better my VFR stalled this morning on a 1-2 shift.

    The idle speed was too low.

    ya i heard those vfr's are junk

    the 9 is faster and handles better than my vif did imo. i still miss it though

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,231

    running like shit. help!

    Who cares if you're slow or you never go to the track. The 9R is still a slow POS if all you are going after is magazine test bragging rights.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by benVFR
    Who cares if you're slow or you never go to the track. The 9R is still a slow POS if all you are going after is magazine test bragging rights.

    if i was after bragging rights i wouldn't be on a 5yo 900. i went for it because as a full sport bike i can ride it all day without going to the hospital. one of the endearing things about the 9r. also its a 1/3 of what the vfr cost and it carve's a better line in the twisties. though its down 40hp to the 10r and fatter i can still stomp most when needed

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,152

    running like shit. help!

    the fast blinker is most likely a loose wire, especially if your're integrated into the tail lights... if it's only getting current to one light it will flash faster... I have the same problem w/ my 6r w/ integrated blinks every once in a while. Just re-establish good connection w/ all the wires.

    the starting issue is probably be your clutch lever sensor... if it's anything like my bike and you're in gear it doesn't see that the clutch is pulled in so it won't engage the starter. I put my bike in Neutral and release the clutch every time i wanna start.

    As for running below 2700, you're already on the right track... probably jetting or plugs.

    when was the last time you cleaned out your air filter, synched your carbs & did all that? It's plenty easy enough to do yourself.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  7. #7
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by OreoGaborio
    the fast blinker is most likely a loose wire, especially if your're integrated into the tail lights... if it's only getting current to one light it will flash faster... I have the same problem w/ my 6r w/ integrated blinks every once in a while. Just re-establish good connection w/ all the wires.

    the starting issue is probably be your clutch lever sensor... if it's anything like my bike and you're in gear it doesn't see that the clutch is pulled in so it won't engage the starter. I put my bike in Neutral and release the clutch every time i wanna start.

    As for running below 2700, you're already on the right track... probably jetting or plugs.

    when was the last time you cleaned out your air filter, synched your carbs & did all that? It's plenty easy enough to do yourself.

    ahh finally some usefull info

    i havn't had the bike long so i haven't done much but change the oil and install some flushmounts on the front. i will check the air filter, plugs etc just looking for someone to help a little with it. i like to work on my own shit but some of this is unknown territory.

    i called the dealer and asked about the intergrated lights and he seems to think its a bad resister a common problem with that set up.

    i'll look into the clutch sensor. maybe you can bypass it? i did that with a truck i had. little dangerous starting in gear with the clutch out

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,152

    running like shit. help!

    it won't start in gear w/ the clutch out, even if the sensor has gone bad... it's purpose is to not let the bike start if it's in gear unless the clutch is in.... if it can't tell that the clutch is in, it won't start unless it's in neutral.... therefore, if the sensor fails, you can't start the bike unless it's in neutral and the clutch lever is out..... or somethin like that. At least that's the end result if i'm wrong, cuz that's how my bike is.

    as for plugs & airbox... it's simple stuff... do a forum search for "christmas" and you'll come up w/ a thread started by "Rye"... it's got a ton of links to online shop manuals... find one for your bike & download it. It'll walk you through everything you need to do. the one for my bike is a 300 page .pdf file

    and like I said about the blinkers... check all the wiring... if it's a bad relay like the dealer is scamming you into thinking, then both lights will blink fast... if it's the wiring, only one will light up & that's why it's blinking fast. Either way, if both lights blink on each side, dont' worry bout it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  9. #9
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    i bought one of those service manuals for it. haynes or some shit. i'll do a thread search if i cant find the info i need. wtf i'll do it now anyways i'm only at work

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,662

    running like shit. help!

    I would take a close look at the ram air plumbing. There's a couple of pitots in the ram air inlet that feed pressurized air to the carb vents. If the plumbing gets messed up on those, it'll run like crap. The ram air system on that bike is actually quite sophisticated and a slick bit of engineering, but it's also very sensitive. Maybe you screwed something up putting the front flush mounts on. They are quite near the ram air plumbing

    Unless it's jetted too rich, the plugs are probably fine.

    I am not sure how the blinker module is put together, but on a car, a fast blinker usually indicates a short on one lead since the operate with a bi-metalic strip and it varies it's blink rate with current drawn.

    +1 on the clutch switch being bad. It's very cheap and easy to swap. You may want to take a look at your kickstand switch as well, they are part of the same circuit. The Nuetral switch could also be bad but my money is on the kickstand and/or clutch switches.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    I would take a close look at the ram air plumbing. There's a couple of pitots in the ram air inlet that feed pressurized air to the carb vents. If the plumbing gets messed up on those, it'll run like crap. The ram air system on that bike is actually quite sophisticated and a slick bit of engineering, but it's also very sensitive. Maybe you screwed something up putting the front flush mounts on. They are quite near the ram air plumbing

    Unless it's jetted too rich, the plugs are probably fine.

    I am not sure how the blinker module is put together, but on a car, a fast blinker usually indicates a short on one lead since the operate with a bi-metalic strip and it varies it's blink rate with current drawn.

    +1 on the clutch switch being bad. It's very cheap and easy to swap. You may want to take a look at your kickstand switch as well, they are part of the same circuit. The Nuetral switch could also be bad but my money is on the kickstand and/or clutch switches.
    i wish there was an easy way to tell witch of the three switchs is bad. sidestand, neutral or clutch. i don't have a volt meter just a test light. i think i'll try the cluth switch first as you have said.

    i've heard of the ram air being clogged before. i cheated doing the flushmounts and didn't remove the fairings. meaning i left the ram air alone. i did however remove the right side tubing for something different and it ran fine after i reinstalled it.

    i'm going to check the flushmount wiring again but i have a feeling its the intergrated tail lights causing problems.

    the bike is over 5 years old with under 7g miles on it. i really think the plugs are original along with many other things that need looking at. for the first time i did bike week and it hauled me and the women around for four days then i went on a group ride were i beat it good. i don't think its used to it! i do think it needs a good going over by someone who knows whats what but i'll do my best

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,662

    running like shit. help!

    You should have at least 23,000 miles left in those plugs. I stupidly changed mine at 15,000 miles and there was no change in mileage or performance. My bike has 46,000 miles now and still gets 44 MPG on every tank fo gas, so I feel no need to change them. They don't go bad over time, only from use. They are exspensive, and a bitch to get to.

    At 7000 miles, you are pretty nearly due for the first valve lash adjustment. Mine were all pretty tight at 7500 miles. They did not require adjustment again until I hit 35,000 miles. I'm not even going to look at the again until I'm at 60,000 miles. Valve lash on the 01 9R is a lot of tedious work.

    I don't have my factory service manual here at work so I can't help much with the starting problem. The clutch switch is $13.58 and the sidestand switch is $61.20. I guess I'd replace the clutch switch first and see what happens...

    Open the air box and look for a hole in the air filter. Perhaps a rodent has decided to make a nice cozy home there.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    You should have at least 23,000 miles left in those plugs. I stupidly changed mine at 15,000 miles and there was no change in mileage or performance. My bike has 46,000 miles now and still gets 44 MPG on every tank fo gas, so I feel no need to change them. They don't go bad over time, only from use. They are exspensive, and a bitch to get to.

    At 7000 miles, you are pretty nearly due for the first valve lash adjustment. Mine were all pretty tight at 7500 miles. They did not require adjustment again until I hit 35,000 miles. I'm not even going to look at the again until I'm at 60,000 miles. Valve lash on the 01 9R is a lot of tedious work.

    I don't have my factory service manual here at work so I can't help much with the starting problem. The clutch switch is $13.58 and the sidestand switch is $61.20. I guess I'd replace the clutch switch first and see what happens...

    Open the air box and look for a hole in the air filter. Perhaps a rodent has decided to make a nice cozy home there.
    good info on the plugs. i'll skip that then unless all else fails. having never gotten into the bike deep i thought after taking off the tank to get to the air filter the plugs would be right there.

    i can't help thinking its a jetting problem as well. it runs horrable below 3000 rpm. throttle responce is terrable untill i get the revs way up there.it has just a slip on hidle i think. i put a slip- on on a fz1 i had and it ran a little lean but nothing like the 9 is doing.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterbury, VT
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,126

    running like shit. help!

    An easy way to see which switch is bad is to disconnect them one at a time and jumper them. Most of them are simple two lead switches that just need to read a closed circuit. Good luck...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SSearchVT

    For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,160

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by mikeb
    good info on the plugs. i'll skip that then unless all else fails. having never gotten into the bike deep i thought after taking off the tank to get to the air filter the plugs would be right there.

    i can't help thinking its a jetting problem as well. it runs horrable below 3000 rpm. throttle responce is terrable untill i get the revs way up there.it has just a slip on hidle i think. i put a slip- on on a fz1 i had and it ran a little lean but nothing like the 9 is doing.

    Start the bike, run it for a few seconds and tentatively touch the header pipes. If it's only running on 3 cylinders as I suspect, one of the headers will be noticeably colder than the others. If this is the case, it will likely be the left one if it's because of gummed up carbs (left one always gums up first because of sidestand angling the bike that way all winter). Otherwise, fouled plug or bad coil.

    derek

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by Degsy
    Start the bike, run it for a few seconds and tentatively touch the header pipes. If it's only running on 3 cylinders as I suspect, one of the headers will be noticeably colder than the others. If this is the case, it will likely be the left one if it's because of gummed up carbs (left one always gums up first because of sidestand angling the bike that way all winter). Otherwise, fouled plug or bad coil.

    derek

    i'm going to run a little carb cleaner threw it. i was thinking that it might be gummed up from sitting for long periods of time. i doubt the previous owner put in stable before storing it.

    i have a lot of idea's for getting it to run right. thanks guys. i'll let you know how it turns out.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,662

    running like shit. help!

    This trick worked for me on another bike. Something to think about...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Just Registered SQUIZZ636's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    nashua
    Age
    39
    Posts
    309

    running like shit. help!

    will the bike stay running or wil it die while running once the motor warms up, if so I would say it could be a ing. coil, but I agree on the carbs, specialy if you have old gas in it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    no regrets!!! life is just too short

    01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

  19. #19
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    well i've run atleast 6 full tanks of fresh 93 threw it since i've had it so the gas in it is good. if i get brave enough i'll try your method stoinky.

    it starts fine but surges badly on the choke. we'll see what happens after i screw with it. maybe it needs a carb sink? i miss my injected vfr!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,160

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by mikeb
    it starts fine but surges badly on the choke. we'll see what happens after i screw with it. maybe it needs a carb sink? i miss my injected vfr!

    You know, you might just have a vacuum leak! That will cause surging. Check the rubber boots from the carbs to the airbox and from the carbs to the intake ports.

    Spray wd40 around the boots with the engine running. If it stalls, then you have a leak.

    derek

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,639

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by Degsy
    You know, you might just have a vacuum leak! That will cause surging. Check the rubber boots from the carbs to the airbox and from the carbs to the intake ports.

    Spray wd40 around the boots with the engine running. If it stalls, then you have a leak.

    derek
    will just pulling off theside fairings give me enough access to the carbs to do that? i have to pull the tank to check the air cleaner so i can't run it while doing that. i could rig something up i guess.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #22

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by mikeb
    well i've run atleast 6 full tanks of fresh 93 threw it since i've had it so the gas in it is good. if i get brave enough i'll try your method stoinky.
    just out of curiousity.. why do you run such a high octane?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,152

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by bump909
    just out of curiousity.. why do you run such a high octane?
    i know on my 6R i have to run 91 or higher cuz of the compression ratio.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  24. #24
    Just Registered FireFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    695

    ......

    Originally posted by mikeb
    ahh finally some usefull info

    i havn't had the bike long so i haven't done much but change the oil and install some flushmounts on the front. i will check the air filter, plugs etc just looking for someone to help a little with it. i like to work on my own shit but some of this is unknown territory.

    i called the dealer and asked about the intergrated lights and he seems to think its a bad resister a common problem with that set up.

    i'll look into the clutch sensor. maybe you can bypass it? i did that with a truck i had. little dangerous starting in gear with the clutch out
    Are the Flushmounts LED's? If they are, I think you need to get a a relay that plugs right into the harness to regulate the blink rate

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FireFly; 06-22-06 at 11:58 AM.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    15,160

    running like shit. help!

    Originally posted by mikeb
    will just pulling off theside fairings give me enough access to the carbs to do that? i have to pull the tank to check the air cleaner so i can't run it while doing that. i could rig something up i guess.
    Possibly, try it and see.

    By the way, once you pull the tank, the bike will run for a few minutes on the gas in the float bowls.

    derek

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 09' R6 Running like sh!t
    By Fastsc92 in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-29-10, 09:52 AM
  2. crf running like shit, need help
    By burnham in forum Dirty Bastards
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-20-10, 04:02 PM
  3. running on the LE
    By Cowboyrider in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-28-06, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •