Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Safety Wire Your Safety Wire

Safety Wire Your Safety Wire

read this on WERA today
    This here is a DIY (Do It Yourself) guide to safety wire your safety wire.!!!!

You ever have the misfortune of your safety wire cap coming off? Weather you dropped it while using it?
    Or it fell over in your trailer when in tow to and from the track, because it wasn't properly secured?

And if it happened to you on your way to the track it is stressful! Bad enough it can get stressful when you have to change your awesomeness DOT Race tires to put on your wet weather tires! But then you have to what??? Swap back to those awesomeness Race DOT tires sooner or later, RIGHT? -- right.

But if you are doing 2 days at the track, and the 2nd day turns out beautiful, I mean the sun is out, birds are chirping, pretty pink roses are out.. honey bees are making honey, or making it with their honey!!! You have to put those Race DOT tires back on. So you get the wrenching, swap the tires, and now you have to safety wire all the shit, caliper bolts, pinch bolts or whatever your heart desires.

You go to your trailer/tool box to get your safety wire tool and safety wire. And all of a sudden BAMM you notice the cap came off and the safety wire is all over the place. Now your trying to roll it back up and stick it back into that round thing-a-ma-ja the safety wire came in, but you cant. So what do you do, you start cutting wire here and there. Now your safety wire looks like a plate of spaghetti, ends all over the place. Now your on the track stressed the fuck out, cant concentrate, your missing your apexes and turning in way to early, your over shooting turn 1, well that can be a few reasons why, after all you can be on a shitting 1k, or like most of you, in a race or not, its ALWAYS a race to turn one. but you just cant get your head straight because of your safety wire is fudged!

Well here it is, just for you, a DIY on how to prevent this mishap.

NOTE:::: If you already did this, good for you, my hats off to you. You don't need to sit there at your cheap ass piece of shit computer and talk your blah blah blah crap, just sit back, relax and have yourself a coke and a smile.

All you need are a few simple tools, nothing major...

FIRST AND FOREMOST, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!

1) Safety Gloves
    2) Safety goggles

STOP HERE, why do you ask about the safety gloves and safety goggles???

Well shit, listen here asshole.. you are umm, well, dealing with SAFETY wire!! so SAFETY FIRST am I correct!! Last thing you need is for the bit to fly out and catch a eye, or get cut from either the bit or safety wire.

CONTINUING ON....

3) Cordless drill or cord drill -------- I really don't give a flying rats ass what you use.

4) Vice to hold the reel of safety wire, remember SAFETY FIRST, you dont wanna slip and drill a hole in your leg or finger but a removable or permanent vice will do--- it does not matter, again I dont give a fuck!

5) New reel of safety wire. ---? Please, you do not need to brag on the gauge of the safety wire, or you found a place that sells it for $1 off. Again, I really dont give a flying fuck.

6) Safety wire tool ---> ok listen up!! No one cares if you have a beautiful bright ass red color, or a soft orange color. If you have anything but the black tool, you either A) suck dick or B) Hold a dick in your mouth for a hour or so.

7) sharpie ---> oh boy, well.... spare the drama for your mamma, No one cares how fat the sharpie is unless its the guy ---> (refer back to the end of #6)

8) Drill bit. ---? Okay, here is where you can brag on the bit you are using. Because that drill bit you are using for this project is probably more then likely the drill bit you used to drill holes in those caliper bolts and pinch bolts,maybe your leg or hand if you didnt follow (#4)

NOW, LET'S BEGIN OUR PROJECT SHALL WE

FIRST, and I urge you to do this, put on your safety goggles and safety gloves. If you have a hard hat, by all means, use that too! Look like Bob the Builder for all i care!!!!!!

then take your sharpie and mark 3 spots on the top of the safety wire, id say about 1/8 to 1/4 inch down from the top. I suggest the 3 markings be 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock.

Now put the drill bit into the drill gun, make sure it is in the secured. (refer back to STOP HERE)

Next is, put the safety wire reel into the vice, be careful NOT to tighten it to much, you dont want to crush the god dame thing now do you???

Next is drill holes where you made the markings with the sharpie.

Now take your safety wire tool and some safety wire put it through the holes and safety wire the cap.

FOR EXTRA SHIT, IF YOU WANT, DRILL 2 ADDITIONAL HOLES AT THE 3 O'CLOCK AND 9 O'CLOCK. YOU'LL SEE LATER!!!

After all said and done, you will have the safest safety wire around!!!!! The gods will fall from the skies, umbrella girls will get in line to take pictures with you, and all your friends will be like WOW

The tools needed!!!

The completed job
    NOTE the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock holes god dammit!

Now, the reel that was not safety wired!

Good luck, i hope your project goes as smooth as mine did. Most of all, i hope to see you and your safety wire at the track!

Ride safe and god bless!

John

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Re: Safety Wire Your Safety Wire

what are you doing on wera?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Because in stark contrast to real life, on the internet, Jim can RIDE!

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Don't hold back man, just go with the joke we all want to see.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

because i'm bound by boost

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Because in stark contrast to real life, on the internet, Jim can RIDE!
    i'm glad they have a height requirement for their members

honestly, that Umbrella Girls thread is all I need to check WERA daily

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

wera brings out the character defects in otherwise nice people.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

No need to do any of that on my can.

My can is plastic so I do not have to worry about water. It also comes threaded So I never have to worry about the top coming off.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I have nothing to add here so I thought I would just make you smile...

Attachment 18002

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    I have nothing to add here so I thought I would just make you smile...

Attachment 18002
    post of the week!!

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I smiled!!!
    Safety wire FTW

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK