Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My Savage new battery not workin ?

Weird . . . I charged up my bike battery and added distilled water , it ran then 1 week after I tried to start it the battery is dead . . . I'm going to try to charge it again and see what happens . but is there any way the battery is not workin ? It's basically a new battery since I bought the bike new last year , kinda weird it doesn't work after only 1 season of use. Any suggestions what might be wrong with it? I filled the distilled water up the the high levels and everything and the acid bubbled when I finished charging it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Describe dead battery: engine turn over but no fire; no engine turn over, no clickey?

What is your hydrometer reading for electrolytes?
    Got a multimeter?

Ultimate quick check is to swap out batteries, if you have another bike or a friend's bike the battery fits...

let me know how you make out.

could have overcharge her, mostly because of the bubbling you describe. did you use a trickle charger?

If the bike is new, call the stealership.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

yep used the trickle charger . .. tried again today after another full 24 hour charge . . . . nada . . just wonderin does it cost anytihng to bring it to the dealership ? I think it might be the spark plugs flooded ?

The headlights work and work on high beam , horns are loud , and everything like that and the ignition fires but no turn over

Also so , I can put my battery into my dad's bike just to see if it works ?

Last edited by Gangsta SV; 03-05-03 at 06:17 PM.

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Are you using a trickle battery charger, or one of those "float" battery chargers? I have a float charger, and it will not charge a battery, it will only prevent it from discharging over the winter. A one or two amp battery charger for a few hours should do the trick.
    I am a little confused by your two postings. Sounds like it was running at one point, but won't turn over at all now. Is that true? If it won't turn over, you don't have to worry about flooded spark plugs...that wouldn't prevent the bike from at least turning over. Are you sure you have all the safety interlocks met? (kickstand up, bike in neutral or clutch in, etc?)
    When you try to turn it over, does the headlight dim at all? If not, the starter is probably not even being energized. If the headlight does dim (or go out totally) your battery is probably not charged enough, or is defective. As strange as it sounds, I have had a couple of batteries go bad just by having them sit on a concrete floor for the winter. (I won't go into the various theories I have heard about this). If you give your battery a good charge and then bring it to most any major auto parts store, they will likely test it for free. (most of the auto chains, such as VIP, offer free battery testing)
    Good luck.