Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

school me on... chains?

school me on... chains?

Im wondering... My kawi shop manual calls for an endless (no master link. derp) chain. When you buy chain in whatever size in a roll, how exactly do you size it? do you use a chain breaker to press it apart and back together? or id Kawasaki full of it and is a master link and a grinder a good solution to proper chain length?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: school me on... chains?

You buy your chain already to length. Count how many links are on your current chain and then order a chain with that many links and use a rivet master link to connect the chain. Unless you are changing your gearing, then just do the math of the gearing and order a chain of that length. I have never heard of a chain with no master link before.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You buy your chain already to length. Count how many links are on your current chain and then order a chain with that many links and use a rivet master link to connect the chain. Unless you are changing your gearing, then just do the math of the gearing and order a chain of that length. I have never heard of a chain with no master link before.
    I've never heard of buying a chain with your own specified number of links. most come with 120 links and you cut them to size. Streetbikes come from the factory with endless chains, meaning they have no master link. I suppose technically there's a masterlink in there somewhere cause they have to connect the ends somehow. but you won't find it cause it looks just like ever other link.

so to the OP count the number of links on your bike then buy one that's at least that many long (or longer if you need more because of a gearing change) then cut it to size (I use a dremel with a cut off wheel) then rivet the masterlink that came with the chain. There are also clip type and screw type masterlinks but I prefer the rivet style.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I've never heard of buying a chain with your own specified number of links. most come with 120 links and you cut them to size. Streetbikes come from the factory with endless chains, meaning they have no master link. I suppose technically there's a masterlink in there somewhere cause they have to connect the ends somehow. but you won't find it cause it looks just like ever other link.

so to the OP count the number of links on your bike then buy one that's at least that many long (or longer if you need more because of a gearing change) then cut it to size (I use a dremel with a cut off wheel) then rivet the masterlink that came with the chain. There are also clip type and screw type masterlinks but I prefer the rivet style.
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/flipb...eet/#?page=958

I did not know that. but I've never bought a chain from a dealer.

wait... does a rivet style master link look like the rest of the links? you need a chain breaker to press the rivet in... correct?

Quote Originally Posted by hondarocks61 View Post
    wait... does a rivet style master link look like the rest of the links? you need a chain breaker to press the rivet in... correct?
    Yes it looks like the rest of the links and you need a rivet tool to mushroom the rivets. I have the tool. Where are you located?

The thing you have to be wary of is to not overtighten the master link. Make sure that it is tight, but the chain bends at the master on each side with ease.

Last edited by csmutty; 01-13-12 at 01:22 AM.

I have never heard of a chain with no master link before.
    Every factory-original chain that I've seen is an endless chain in that there isn't a "master" link per se.

Also, no, the rivet style link on an aftermarket chain does not look like the rest of the links. It is very clearly unique.

Finally, you don't "mushroom" the rivet link, you "flare" it.

EDIT:

hondarocks - If you are flaring the rivet yourself one very important thing to know is to NOT just ram the tool into the rivet. You will split the rivet which comprimises its entire function. You have to go in small increments....in a little, back it out, then in a little more and back it out and so on.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 01-13-12 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Every factory-original chain that I've seen is an endless chain in that there isn't a "master" link per se.

Also, no, the rivet style link on an aftermarket chain does not look like the rest of the links. It is very clearly unique.

Finally, you don't "mushroom" the rivet link, you "flare" it.
    Ahh never owned a new bike...

It basically looks like the rest, very subtle difference if you want to get technical...which clearly you do.

Thanks for that. I am sure it will be very helpful to the OP.

There's no technicality about anything I've stated. A rivet-style master link is not subtle in any way whatsoever, Christian, and the process of installation is not called "mushrooming".

Pardon me for providing the correct information.

Mom and Dad are fighting again! I understand guys but Im going to put my factory front sprocket on soon (I need to find how many teeth it is first...) and In the event the chain is to short (unlikely but possible) I need to know this stuff! When pushing the rivet in Does the end become flared from the pressure automatically or do you need to use some other function of the tool to achieve this wonderful effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hondarocks61 View Post
    Mom and Dad are fighting again! I understand guys but Im going to put my factory front sprocket on soon (I need to find how many teeth it is first...) and In the event the chain is to short (unlikely but possible) I need to know this stuff! When pushing the rivet in Does the end become flared from the pressure automatically or do you need to use some other function of the tool to achieve this wonderful effect.
    This will tell you how many teeth your bike came with.
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/flipb...et/#?page=1302

This video might help with the first part of the installation.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4466856_in...reet-bike.html

And this is a great write up that covers everything.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331112

aha! good stuff! I made a note of my sprocket sizes on a crummy plate I just ate cinnamon toast from. Ill never forget now... I honestly have never seen anything but endless and clip style master links so this is eye opening to me. Thanks guys

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

sprocketcenter.com sells kits. When I got mine, it was cut to size.

D.I.D ERV3 520 chain with a set of Superlite steel sprockets. It was $199.95, shipped.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Also I would highly advise getting someone who owns and knows how to use a chain tool so it gets done properly.

Yes it looks like the rest of the links and you need a rivet tool to mushroom the rivets. I have the tool. Where are you located?

The thing you have to be wary of is to not overtighten the master link. Make sure that it is tight, but the chain bends at the master on each side with ease.
    my EK chain came with these extra plates that you put in while pressing it all together. They keep proper spacing so you don't crush the o-rings. Never seen them before I got that chain. only way to screw it up with them is to tighten it so damn tight you can't get the thing out. they should all come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Also I would highly advise getting someone who owns and knows how to use a chain tool so it gets done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    my EK chain came with these extra plates that you put in while pressing it all together. They keep proper spacing so you don't crush the o-rings. Never seen them before I got that chain. only way to screw it up with them is to tighten it so damn tight you can't get the thing out. they should all come with it.
    No shit...now that is pretty cool.

Lifer

I'm a big fan of DIY, and just did my chain/sprockets a few months ago. First time for me. Wish I could do everything myself, but given the cost of the chain tool and the risk of me fucking it up, I took the chain to a local shop. The pressed it for me for $20. Worth it unless I'll be changing a lot more chains in the near future.

The catch is that your bike needs to be set up in a way that you can install the chain without breaking it or taking off the swing arm.

nedirtriders.com

No shit...now that is pretty cool.
    here's a pic of the plates.

Go buy a chain break/rivet tool. 20-30 bucks at any dealer.

Also, see the above pic? Sometimes they install the chain with those hollow (or partially relief drilled) pins on the INNER side of the chain.

On anything over 300cc, or if it's street use only (sumo/dual sport)... Rivet the chain on. Dirty bikes and low CC, you can get away with the clip-on style.

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

When I used to install the plates on the master link, I measured the width of a factory link with calipers and then pressed the master link plates on to the same width. It's tedious. My current chain came with W shaped wire clips that serve the same function as those installation plates CBR929RE posted, very cool.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i like clips. then i KNOW that its put together properly. ive never had good luck with the press together ones. had one come apart and have had a few end up being too tight.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports