Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to Seafoam engine..?

Best way to Seafoam engine..?

Hey all... made my intro in the Welcome center and its pretty awesome here..

anyway.. I have a 93 CBR 600 F2 with 22k miles on ehr with a Yoshi exhaust.

So as per being a new owner who wants to take of my baby in the best way possible I am going to change the oil (repsol full synthetic), oil filter, and new NGK Iridium plugs. Since I don't have the dough to pay to have my carbs cleaned and synced by a bike mechanic, I thought the next best thing would be to seafoam the engine to clean her out till I do.

My question is... what is the best way to do this for best results..? Just mix it in with the gas thats already there..? wait till its almost empty then add it in and then fill with gas..?

Its my first time using the stuff and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Kaz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Best way to Seafoam engine..?

cant say ive ever heard of anyone seafoaming a bike

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

wait till you are near empty then go to the gas station, pour in the product ( 1qt treats 8 gallons so a little over half a bottle should do most bikes) and then fill up with gas to evenly mix the product. BE ADVISED: this stuff is like paint stripper so bring a rag and if any drops get on the bike wipe them up immediately. there is a direct injection method of feeding it directly into the inlets of the carbs but i think you should be fine doing it the easy way. for 9 bucks the stuff is a great product. best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    cant say ive ever heard of anyone seafoaming a bike
    Just did it yesterday. works wonders.

glad i can just put 2 stroke in my truck

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

what do you mean? you do not have to put seafoam in the oil ( you can but it smokes like a bastard) just put it in the gas tank of any engine really and it will do some good

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    wait till you are near empty then go to the gas station, pour in the product ( 1qt treats 8 gallons so a little over half a bottle should do most bikes) and then fill up with gas to evenly mix the product. BE ADVISED: this stuff is like paint stripper so bring a rag and if any drops get on the bike wipe them up immediately. there is a direct injection method of feeding it directly into the inlets of the carbs but i think you should be fine doing it the easy way. for 9 bucks the stuff is a great product. best of luck.
    awesome.. thanks.. will do next time I fill up.. I'll report back on results as I know alot of people wonder if it really works or not...

I do notice some hesitation in the throttle sometimes (could be attributed to my newbiness lack of fine throttle control lol..) and the idle is not as steady as I'd like it to be.. sometimes it slightly pulses a little so I'm hoping the seafoam will smooth that out.

Check back in a few days and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Best,

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by flyer_kaz View Post
    awesome.. thanks.. will do next time I fill up.. I'll report back on results as I know alot of people wonder if it really works or not...

I do notice some hesitation in the throttle sometimes (could be attributed to my newbiness lack of fine throttle control lol..) and the idle is not as steady as I'd like it to be.. sometimes it slightly pulses a little so I'm hoping the seafoam will smooth that out.

Check back in a few days and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Best,

Kaz
    Do not expect it to fix everything. it will do some good but it is not a cure all. also wait untill you go through the tank with seafoam in it and the tank after before you form an opinion (good or bad).

<---Thats a nice A$$! EFD 05 1K's Avatar

I swear by the stuff! I have now used it in everything i own! I also use it as a stabilizer in the summer for the sleds! As woodsy said just ad some to the gas tank, some times it takes two or three times to notice a difference.
    just my .02

Jeff

05 Gsxr 1k Black/Silver, Yosh pipe, 8k HIDs, a very big grin

seafoam is great stuff.. just discovered it this winter!

I can't see it as being too useful in an ENGINE (cylinders) since compared to cars, I'd think bikes have a lot less carbon build up. Reasons being a lot less miles on them and you ring em out a lot more often. But if you're looking to do this still, I'd say pull the plugs and pour some in to soak.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Do not expect it to fix everything. it will do some good but it is not a cure all. also wait untill you go through the tank with seafoam in it and the tank after before you form an opinion (good or bad).
    good advice on waiting to the next tank to notice any differences..
    nor do I expect miracles from it either... I still would like to get the carbs cleaned manually and synced to see what kind of condition my bike is really in.

I plan on really bringing her back to glory during the winter... either new OEM fairings or swapping them out for F4i fairings and a race tail... prob stock colors, an F3 rear wheel... (.5" wider but still fits on stock swingarm) SS brake lines... we'll see how fast I burn though the dough before I stop...lol..

Best,

Kaz

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GNTurbo6 View Post
    I can't see it as being too useful in an ENGINE (cylinders) since compared to cars, I'd think bikes have a lot less carbon build up. Reasons being a lot less miles on them and you ring em out a lot more often. But if you're looking to do this still, I'd say pull the plugs and pour some in to soak.

You'd be surprised how much stuff collects on intake valves from running premium fuel. If you can avoid premium fuel, I highly recommend doing so.

That said, I cannot imagine anyone would be crazy enough to pour this stuff into a combustion chamber. Pretty sure it's meant to be mixed with gas.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    You'd be surprised how much stuff collects on intake valves from running premium fuel. If you can avoid premium fuel, I highly recommend doing so.

That said, I cannot imagine anyone would be crazy enough to pour this stuff into a combustion chamber. Pretty sure it's meant to be mixed with gas.
    The recommended method for seafoaming the internals of the engine is to add it to the crank case with fresh oil. I agree that i would not pour this directly into the chamber via the plug wells or anything like that.

Lifer

Putting it in the tank gets it into the internals of the carb. Injecting it through the venturi just gets the intake tract on. The one piece I would add to Woodsy's tip - go for a nice long moderate ride. Try to burn off a good half tank or so, and then fill the tank back up with gas.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Putting it in the tank gets it into the internals of the carb. Injecting it through the venturi just gets the intake tract on. The one piece I would add to Woodsy's tip - go for a nice long moderate ride. Try to burn off a good half tank or so, and then fill the tank back up with gas.
    agreed. I seafomed mine a couple of days ago then rode about 35mi let it sit for a while (about and hour) then did another 40.

Everybody to the limit!

Thanks to the miracle of the Material Safety Data Sheet, you can now learn just what it is you're shoving into your crankcase/intake/brake fluid/wherever the hell else the seafoam people are telling you to shove this stuff:

http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

Summary: Snake Oil - 100%

It's got IPA in it?

Mmmmmm.

That being said, it will smooth out a rough running car engine if done through the vacuum line method. Used it on my last 3 cars, works well every time.

For carbs, I've never had it work by running it through the gas tank. Ever. Even a little bit.

Get the regular fuel injector cleaner (STP makes decent stuff) and run it through a tank. Cheaper than Seafoam and works better too.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The vacuum line method basically just sucks Seafoam into your intake and you're supposed to put enough in so that it chokes the engine and makes it shut down. I don't see how pouring it in directly would be much different. Plus, not all of us have vacuum brake boosters. I'd be weary of putting anything into the intake of a car with a MAF sensor.

Maf sensor is at the beginning of the intake track before it is a vacuum.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

direct to the carb is your best best. that way it cleans EVERYTHING. you can smell the crude it removes and burns. its great stuff works great as long as you dont dilute it to much. i run 1 can to 4 gallons. they say 1 can treats 8 gallons but fuck that if you want it to work direct injected works best and the less you dilute it the better it works.

1979 HONDA CB750F
    900+ miles and counting this season.
    I like my wifie how I like my bikes...... NAKED & READY TO RIDE.

I'm calling snake oil!!!

This stuff sounds like a whole lot of internet message forum bs.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Everybody to the limit!

Maybe snake oil is too harsh. It's just another mix of light lubricants and solvents. It will clean grease and other gunk that solvents bind to. So will kerosene and isopropyl alcohol. Oh right, it *is* kerosene and isopropyl alcohol. So if you like the ideal of sucking kero and IPA into various parts of your engine, by all means seafoam away.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Maf sensor is at the beginning of the intake track before it is a vacuum.
    Yeah I don't have vacuum brakes... Air intake temperature sensor is before the MAF too
    EDIT: Oh also it has a MAP sensor somewhere in there

Last edited by GNTurbo6; 05-12-09 at 04:33 AM.

I have to say, it worked for me. Snake oil or not.

I got my wife a 2009 KLX 250.
    The guy who I bought it from, bought it, put gas in it twice, rode it and then stopped riding last August.
    I got it in March with 270 miles on it. It would start and idle with the choke on, but it would not run and if you turn the throttle it would just die. I was guessing the jets were varnished and clogged.
    I called the Seafoam company and they told me I should put double the recommended amount in fresh gas. Then get it to run (idle on choke) for 10 minutes making sure it got warm and filled the float bowl and jets.
    Then I let it sit for 2 full days without touching it. (Seafoam recommendation)
    I started it, warmed it up and it ran within a few minutes without the choke.
    It ran rough and smelled horrible, but once I put clean gas in it everything was like brand new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast