Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sealing a gas tank from the inside?

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Sealing a gas tank from the inside?

I have a small gas leak where the petcock tube gets welded to the tank. I've tried JB Weld specific for gas, Quick steel and nothing is working from the outside. They are good just for the quick and short term fix. I've heard of creaming the inside of the tank. Let me get this out of the way. <I'm sure Denno will help me out here. > <AND no, I am not going to buy a newer bike.>

Back to the topic.

I've have heard of POR 15 products and it seems to work. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Anyone hear for this stuff?
    Does it work?
    $73 bucks. Can I get it cheaper?

FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: Sealing a gas tank from the inside?

Why not just have it welded?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

We can have a tank bukkake session and get the inside creamed up for you!!! You weren't hoping for a serius response with a post like that were you?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

I did not really expect too much from here. I figured if I got 1 good response out of 100 jokes it would be good.

Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Hey Gino,
    It can be welded, but it's a little sketchy for obvious reasons. There are methods for removing all vapors if you want to give it a shot...

The products you're trying, like the JB Weld, have to go on a clean, dry and scuffed surface. Anything that's not one of those three and it's gonna fail.

It must be 100% dry, acetone-clean and lightly scuffed doesn't hurt either.

What I do is apply the product and let it dry for at least a couple days....and by that I mean "at least 2 days".

The other option is welding. That is probably your only fail-safe and permanent solution.

I can braze that for you but it will be a few days before you get it back. Gotta flush the fumes out and prep the surfaces.

Let me know.

Just be reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaal careful. Since gas is oil-based it's pretty tough to flush all of it out. Plenty of stories of gas tanks exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    The products you're trying, like the JB Weld, have to go on a clean, dry and scuffed surface. Anything that's not one of those three and it's gonna fail.

It must be 100% dry, acetone-clean and lightly scuffed doesn't hurt either.

What I do is apply the product and let it dry for at least a couple days....and by that I mean "at least 2 days".

The other option is welding. That is probably your only fail-safe and permanent solution.

I can braze that for you but it will be a few days before you get it back. Gotta flush the fumes out and prep the surfaces.

Let me know.
    Yep did that. I had the perfect metal. Wire wheeled ALL the paint off. 80 grit paper, frenched it with a nice curved file for that extra grip and kissed it with brake cleaner. I had great adhesion. Just the gas ate thru this stuff.

I had thought about brazing it. I figured this would "GET IT DONE". I may have to take you up on this. I thought of the whole fume thing and heat. Some times it can be a bad combination. I probably will not be able to get out to you until next week. Can I set up time for a visit?

I'm going to take the tank out tonight. Drain it, Acetone it and apply lots of compressed air to it. Oh & prep the area.

I know about the brazing rod. What kind of fuel do you heat the area with? I'm assuming it is more than propane.

Gino

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    I had thought about brazing it. I figured this would "GET IT DONE". I may have to take you up on this. I thought of the whole fume thing and heat. Some times it can be a bad combination. I probably will not be able to get out to you until next week. Can I set up time for a visit?

I'm going to take the tank out tonight. Drain it, Acetone it and apply lots of compressed air to it. Oh & prep the area.

I know about the brazing rod. What kind of fuel do you heat the area with? I'm assuming it is more than propane.
    The way I'd do it is to drain the fuel from the tank and do no less than 1 complete fill-n-shake followed by 3 half-fill, shake and flushes using a degreaser/ water mix. I've used a biodegradable degreaser (like Simple Green or Purple Power) mixed with water. 50/ 50 is a strong mix, IMO but will certainly get the job done. Then, simply flush with hot water a few times to wash away any residual degreaser that remains.

Oxy Acetylene is the only way to go for brazing.

You can visit any time. Hit me up. I'll be around for the rest of the week.

Seriously. Be careful guys.
    I'd give this a read if you're going to do it.
    TC 9-237 Chptr 2 Safety Precautions in Welding Operations

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    Seriously. Be careful guys.
    I'd give this a read if you're going to do it.
    TC 9-237 Chptr 2 Safety Precautions in Welding Operations
    ive always heard to fill the gas tank with water then weld. should stop any and all fumes

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

That's the idea, but given what's at stake, I'd clean thoroughly, fill with water and back fill with inert gas just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    That's the idea, but given what's at stake, I'd clean thoroughly, fill with water and back fill with inert gas just to be safe.
    You don't have to trust me but you should.
    Flushing with numerous washes of a non-flammable cleaning solution (such as a mix of non-flammable degreaser and non-flammable water) will get rid of any remaining fuel...vapor or otherwise. The key is preparation. This is not something that should be hurried in any way.

daviid- It's more than just filling the tank with water, it's purging and cleansing the entire tank of any flammables and replacing with a non flammable liquid such as water.

High maintenance priss

I've have heard of POR 15 products and it seems to work. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Anyone hear for this stuff?
    Does it work?
    $73 bucks. Can I get it cheaper?
    I have a brand new POR-15 tank refinishing kit. Let me know if you want it...I never ended up using it. Its supposed to be great...tho I believe its more for cleaning a rust-lined tank and re-lining. It does say it will fill pin-holes.

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

is this for a Hawk ....well if it is I might just have a tank in good condition laying around the garage for you in trade for your leaky one. saves the trouble of above mentioned process.

your Hawk RULES!

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by TESTINGurTOMATO View Post
    is this for a Hawk ....well if it is I might just have a tank in good condition laying around the garage for you in trade for your leaky one. saves the trouble of above mentioned process.

your Hawk RULES!
    Seriously!!!!

Matt, When U coming up?

Gino

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I have a brand new POR-15 tank refinishing kit. Let me know if you want it...I never ended up using it. Its supposed to be great...tho I believe its more for cleaning a rust-lined tank and re-lining. It does say it will fill pin-holes.
    Let me know if you want to let it go. I picked up another Hawk that could use a cleaning. It's been sitting fo a # of years and I can not see the inside shiny metal. The filter was pretty gummed us as well. This might come in handy for that project.

Gino

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    You don't have to trust me but you should.
    Flushing with numerous washes of a non-flammable cleaning solution (such as a mix of non-flammable degreaser and non-flammable water) will get rid of any remaining fuel...vapor or otherwise. The key is preparation. This is not something that should be hurried in any way..
    I have a feeling we're both trying to say the exact same thing
    And it has nothing to do with trust... I'm just looking out for the NESR Family.

High maintenance priss

Let me know if you want to let it go. I picked up another Hawk that could use a cleaning. It's been sitting fo a # of years and I can not see the inside shiny metal. The filter was pretty gummed us as well. This might come in handy for that project.
    The restore kit is yours if you want it. Just pick it up @ my house or @ my office weekdays. PM me for addys.