Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Seeking advice on battery charging and maintaining

Seeking advice on battery charging and maintaining

Hi guys,

I have an '07 GSXR 750 with what I think is a battery that's like 3 or 4 years old. I tried to start my bike to move it into storage and found that the battery was dead. Not surprising since I hadn't ridden it in a few months. I tried to charge it on the bike for a day and then noticed that the bike still wouldn't start. I pulled the battery out and saw it was somewhat swollen in one area:

Seeking advice on battery charging and maintaining-20191222_180537-jpg

Given that it was swollen and doesn't seem to be charging, I ordered a replacement. But before I get this new battery setup, I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

- What causes a battery to fail like this? Is there something I could have done to prevent it?
    - When I'm not using my bike for a week or more, should I plug it into the maintainer/charger? Should I leave it plugged in for the entire duration or should I have to plug it in for a day, then leave it unplugged for a couple of weeks?
    - I have several things attached to my battery (switched phone charger, switched headlight, etc) is there any reason why I should not plug the charger onto the battery with those items connected? I have been disconnecting them (which is a bit of a hassle) but it would be nice to permanently attach the maintainer/charger terminals together with all of the others -- it would make setting up the charger easier.

This is the charger I have:
    Seeking advice on battery charging and maintaining-20191222_180603-jpg
    https://www.batterychargers.com/site...01459WB-R1.pdf

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by dompel; 12-22-19 at 06:25 PM.

Re: Seeking advice on battery charging and maintaining

Heated garage space? May have frozen.

0 Not allowed!

Freezing would have affected more than just the one cell.

What I see in that pic appears to be from overcharging or an internal short. I think the Schumacher chargers are great so I'd be leaning toward an internal short.

As far as ease of charging, find a pigtail arrangement to attach to the battery and set it up like the Battery Tender brand does.

0 Not allowed!

I have the exact same charger used it for seven years on my ZX12 , CRF250L and currently using on my DRZ
    Always maintained it during winter with zero issues

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys. I wired up the pigtail and I'll leave it on there so its easier to charge. I realized i don't have to worry about maintaining it with the other devices attached to the battery because they are all switched.

0 Not allowed!

Check your voltage if the battery drop below 6 volts when you put the charge on it will think its a 6 volt battery due to the charger being automatic

0 Not allowed!

I'm not going to offer any advice at all because I seem to throw away more batteries than anyone I know, despite keeping them on chargers/tenders and using them regularly.

0 Not allowed!

What do we use for battery chargers/tenders nowadays?

0 Not allowed!

I have a small cache of battery tender brand tenders. I think they are great. the newer ones are lighter, more compact and seem to hold up to more abuse than the older ones.

I got suckered into buying one of the Noco Genius chargers that g-man and some others here gushed over. Overall I am unimpressed with it. It is nothing special. I am not sure it does anything more than the cheapo schumacher charger I bought at walmart eons ago. It just looks prettier.

So, yeah. Noco for charging and tender. Battery tender for maintaining charge.

I would like to have a nice jump pack at some point. Not sure I would use it enough to justify owning it though.

0 Not allowed!

I have been using a Schumacher SC1281 for the last 2 years and am very impressed with it. It automatically desulfates batteries when needed and it has brought 3 batteries back to life for me.

0 Not allowed!

I've got two chargers that are probably older than me, three battery tender brand tenders, and one harbor freight brand tender...none of them seem to do me any good.

0 Not allowed!