Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Turn signal woes

Turn signal woes

I've been riding without turn signals that aren't my hands since I got my bike. I brought my 95 zx7 into Durands and they 'couldnt figure out' what was wrong with the turn signal circuit. Since I don't have the cash for another two weeks or so for insurance on my bike I've been trying to fix them myself.

I pulled open the fuse box and of course the fuse was out for signals. I can't believe they charged me for labor and didn't even check the fuse.

I've spent a few hours today resoldering the ends since they were rugged. I hooked all the signals up, replaced the 10a fuse and had power to the signals. As in, power to all the signals. At once. They can be turned off by pressing in but all four stay on constantly. No blinkage.

A few other diagnostics:

The lights on the gauge cluster do not come on whatsoever with any signal button pushing, though the lights do.

The fuses are fine, both relay and fuse box.

Every guy with a bit of motorcycle knowledge says "probably the relay." But this was before any of them worked whatsoever. They are getting power but something in the circuit is wrong.

Any ideas for me to try?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Re: Turn signal woes

This is why I hate electrical, it sounds like something might have crossed up. You may have to chase the wires if one thing is messing with another. Even on newer bikes, I have seen a good kink in a line screw with the electronics let alone if a wire has been frayed and hitting another.

When you say the relay is "fine" are you testing it with a multimeter/test-light?

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Do you have a wiring diagram for your bike?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Do you have a wiring diagram for your bike?

trace all the wiring before you go any further and be sure you get the right voltages at the right points. could be a crossed wire.

I have the diagram and manual, that's how I began troubleshooting. In terms of the relay, it is not clearly defined by pictures as there are two separate looking pieces that seem like they could be relays. I was under the impression no power would make it through the circuit if the relay was shot - thats why I said that. It was supposedly tested last year and said to be fine, though I don't trust that "dealership" any longer.

I also checked the turn signal wiring in the handle controls and it all seems pretty good. Like I said, they light up and turn off by clicking in.

No wires should be frayed anymore since I repaired all the shitty ones yesterday. Unless its closer to the base of the bike or near the center of the harness...

Stumped as of right now.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

I'm guessing power goes from the battery, to the ignition switch, to the fuse, to the relay, to the signal switch and then to the signal lights.

If the relay was functioning any or all signals would blink but they aren't.

If the switch was functioning you'd be able to select left, right or off but you can't.

Somewhere the switch and relay appear to be bypassed (shorted) or mis wired.

The fuse was pulled because riding with all signals on all the time would be a dead giveaway to the cops that they're inop.

It sounds like you're visually inspecting. You're going to need a meter to get any farther and I'd start at the turn signal switch.

Cheese is right. You will have to trace the power and continuity of the wiring starting at your battery and ending at your lights by following the wiring diagram in your manual.

If by chance everything is wired properly, the relay/flasher assembly costs about $37 for a new one.

Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909