Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

head gasketeering

head gasketeering

Well, I dropped the motor of my 690 today to fix the leaking head gasket. It all went smoothly and I found one of the locating pins cocked in its bore. That would explain the leaky gasket. I carefully reassembled with the new gasket. the replacement looked like a sandwich deal, and the stocker did not. Perhaps they updated that part? Dunno.

I also replaced the rocker arms, as they are known to have weak roller bearings. there was a very light scoring on one of the cam lobes, but I couldn't feel it with my nail. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Someday I'll go to a performance cam anyway.

The piston on this thing is the size of a dinner plate!

I just have to re-install the cam and do a valve re-shim cause of the new rocker arms. Shop isn't open til tuesday, so I'll probably measure it out tomorrow, then re-install the motor, and finish the valve adjustment with the motor in place.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: head gasketeering

i may be paranoid but even with a little scoring i like to give the entire valve train a nice coat of fresh oil before I through the cover back on.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Oh yeah, it'll all get a splash of oil. I use full synth in this bike though, so it clings really well.

Paul_E_D

Motor is back in frame. Getting the swingarm bolt in was the toughest part of this job. Took me and a bud 30 minutes. Has to line up through swinger/frame/motor/frame/swinger all while wrestling the engine into position. Could likely do it in 15 now that I've done it once.

Just have to hook everything up, torque it all down, and get that one shim I need to finish the valve adjust. Should be done tonight.

Paul_E_D