Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Slow charge

Question Slow charge

I've been slowly addressing every issue that a 30-something year old custom(ish) bike has.

I'm currently stuck and I'm not looking for a fix as much as I'm looking for advice on different ways to address this problem.

The bike started out as a '76 Honda CB550f super sport.

It's been through a lot of changes but it does have the original electrical system. It charges but not that great. I get 13.6 on a good day at the battery. It charges extremely slowly.

Some symptoms include...blown headlight bulb and blown blinkers over the last month. All of a sudden every bulb seems to go bad...surging? Bike runs great after initial startup...ride it around for 5-10 minutes and you can literally feel the life being sucked out of the battery. Bike will continue to run but is significantly underpowered and when you start with 30-something hp, underpowered is no bueno.

1. New battery within last two months, 10v 1000rr battery.
    2. I've spot checked every wire running from the different components. All connections are solid.

I've ordered a repair manual (Honda Repair Manual CB400/550 > Accessories > Repair Manuals) with hopes of understanding the electical functions on this bike. I know nothing of brushes and such.

I've been told to just ditch the existing setup and go with a magneto setup but I have no experience there either. Where's a guy to start? Anybody have experience or advice? I'm damned and determined to understand every in and out of this bike but I feel as if I just can't get out of the gates on this electrical gremlin.

Future factors to keep in mind, I need an electrical system that is strong enough to run a headlight, a veypor gauge and blinkers.

Many, many thanks in advance for your input(s).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Banned

Re: Slow charge

Firstly, what a beautiful bike. I'd love to check it out some time.

Second, you should be able to go to a magneto setup. Google motorcycle elctrics for books on how to with bike electrics. I have a little knowledge and could help out. Is the bike still running a contact breaker points system or has electronic ignition been fitted? Are you absolutely sure it was never converted to total loss for racing? It looks like a race bike or an ex race bike and many of those have no charging system to speak of. My 2002 F4i ran for 36 minutes at Loudon before losing power and needing a charge becaue I was running a lightened flywheel and no stator.

derek

That empty space in the frame makes me think ex-race set up, but I honestly dont know. If its a points motor, maybe pull them out, file em off, clean em up? or if you can, buy new ones.

Steve
    Work Hard---Play Harder

If you are blowing lights it sounds like the regulator/rectifier might be shot. Check your voltage at your battery again. You might find it to be on the high side now.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Firstly, what a beautiful bike. I'd love to check it out some time.

Second, you should be able to go to a magneto setup. Google motorcycle elctrics for books on how to with bike electrics. I have a little knowledge and could help out. Is the bike still running a contact breaker points system or has electronic ignition been fitted? Are you absolutely sure it was never converted to total loss for racing? It looks like a race bike or an ex race bike and many of those have no charging system to speak of. My 2002 F4i ran for 36 minutes at Loudon before losing power and needing a charge becaue I was running a lightened flywheel and no stator.

derek
    Thanks! A lot of work has gone into this thing.

Many have said magneto setup. It does have an electronic ignition fitted. It was never raced and the last owner was a poor rider at best, I'd highly doubt he had any racing aspirations.

Safe money is on stock electrics that just need TLC or a complete overhaul (magneto setup)...I think I'll try and find a good book like you suggest...I was sorta hoping the repair manual would shed some light on this for me.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.