Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Both smokers down with the same ailment

Re: Both smokers down with the same ailment

It's not so bad...2 strokes with a CDI don't have too much to go wrong

Own a newer 4t bike and rebuild the motor...your wallet will not thank you

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Own a newer 4t bike and rebuild the motor...your wallet will not thank you
    Newer 4 strokes don't need to be rebuilt all the time

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-31-17 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Newer 4 strokes don't need to be rebuilt all the time
    If you don't ride them or baby them, sure. Race them and it's a whole different discussion.

Also, remember that I'm not just dealing with carbs or smokers, I'm dealing with OLD bikes, one of which was particularly abused badly prior to me getting it, both are being operated well outside their design parameters. Don't use my experience as the example for what all carb / smoker machines are like.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    25 years old, it's not vintage yet?
    1992? That would qualify for "Non-Current" (pre 1998), but not "Classic Non-Current" (pre 1990).

AMA VINTAGE = pre-1975, and anything pre-1978 is EVO-1. Vintage -> EVO1 - > EVO2 - > EVO3 - > Classic Non-Current - > Non-Current.
    NETRA VINTAGE = any motorcycle manufactured prior to 1978.

State of Maine says I can get antique plates for it.

If you don't ride them or baby them, sure. Race them and it's a whole different discussion.

Also, remember that I'm not just dealing with carbs or smokers, I'm dealing with OLD bikes, one of which was particularly abused badly prior to me getting it, both are being operated well outside their design parameters. Don't use my experience as the example for what all carb / smoker machines are like.
    Someone I consider a friend, who is an A level rider and racer has 250hrs+ on his 500excf.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Someone I consider a friend, who is an A level rider and racer has 250hrs+ on his 500excf.
    Woods, MX, or actually abusing the poor thing SX / Motard style? Based on the hour meter my 300 has 400+ hours on it, I've only put maybe 10 or 15 or so on myself, and that was very shortly after it's one known rebuild. The newer thumpers are better than they used to be, but in the context of motard (aka this thread) you're still beating the snot out of them, they still require heavy TLC to survive.

Woods, MX, or actually abusing the poor thing SX / Motard style? Based on the hour meter my 300 has 400+ hours on it, I've only put maybe 10 or 15 or so on myself, and that was very shortly after it's one known rebuild. The newer thumpers are better than they used to be, but in the context of motard (aka this thread) you're still beating the snot out of them, they still require heavy TLC to survive.
    Maybe at Loudon, but anything less isn't as taxing. You didn't specify motard in this thread, or even in the context of the reply to Zara.

His bike is mostly woods/DS. Your 300 is: you don't even know. Do you know it's never been apart aside from the 1 top end?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

My 300 is slow pokey going to idle to death in my hands, other than the occasional short road jaunt. AFAIK it was only apart once under the prior owner after being run out of coolant, the condition of the case gasket bits I can see imply it was a full tear down to split cases rather than just a top end refresh. Can't confirm authoritatively prior to that, but it would mesh with other 300 reports I'm aware of for primarily woods machines.

Really wish I had more time to ride it this year, not good to just sit for so long. Hopefully this winter I can actually get wheels and tires on it for cold weather shenanigans.

Hmm...I'd say it depends... aren't high performance MX 4 strokes requiring periodic top ends as well?

Then there's the woods 2t (think kdx) vs. woods 4t (think DR/XR) and high performance of both (thinking KTM models) vs. MX

I just like the simplicity of the 2t motors...it can all mostly be serviced or disassembled bye at home with basic tools + flywheel puller + crank puller. I just don't do crank bearings...and actually would pay to have bottom end done...but the terrible customer service I have gotten leaving an engine with a dealer or mechanic here is socal has pretty much rendered the work best done on my own as much as I can. Call in advance, talk to the mechanic to make sure he knows what he's doing, call ahead to drop off the motor, ask for a turn around time, add a couple weeks, nag about getting it done, and schedule the pickup. Sucks.

Which bike ya got xaraa?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-01-17 at 03:56 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Leaning towards fuel flow issues now, got the motard to repeat the problem at Boxshop when I ran the tank dry. No warning sputter or change in behavior, it just cut out again like the kill switch had been hit. Pushed it back to my pit, confirmed an empty tank, fueled up and ran the rest of the day without issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12