Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

somethings up, up front

somethings up, up front

the girl friend and i were out tonight and we both noticed that my 01 sv s felt funny going around corrners. It felt like the front tire/ rim was shifting or rocking in corrners. Havn't had a chance to check over anything really, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions where to start.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

somethings up, up front

Steering head bearings

derek

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

somethings up, up front

Originally posted by Degsy
    Steering head bearings

derek
    or, mebbe, tire pressure?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

somethings up, up front

Originally posted by Degsy
    Steering head bearings

derek

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

somethings up, up front

Originally posted by bemused
    or, mebbe, tire pressure?
    Or even better yet, cupped front tire... Check tires first, pressure and wear, then check out the steering head bearings... Always start with the simple solution

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

somethings up, up front

hohum has got it right....
    Check the simple stuff first. If you don't come up with anything out of the ordinary with the tires(pressure, cupping, etc) or the steering head bearings, you may want to check the front wheel bearings. Of course, this would be a much more involved job, but not too bad. Also, make sure the wheel is balanced properly.

somethings up, up front

took it out again tonight alone, problem didnt seem to be as bad. tire pressure was at 30 front and rear, mfgr recomendation. the tires say 42 front and rear. ran the tires up to 40 and condition improved more. Also noticed slight cupping and maybe a slight flat spot just to the left of center on the front tire, is any of this possiably related to tire pressure and who should i listen to the bike or the tire mfgr. Thanks for the advice and help.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

somethings up, up front

Originally posted by mungersv
    took it out again tonight alone, problem didnt seem to be as bad. tire pressure was at 30 front and rear, mfgr recomendation. the tires say 42 front and rear. ran the tires up to 40 and condition improved more. Also noticed slight cupping and maybe a slight flat spot just to the left of center on the front tire, is any of this possiably related to tire pressure and who should i listen to the bike or the tire mfgr. Thanks for the advice and help.
    from what I have heard noone runs their tires that high. Dont't quote me cause i am clueless - this is just stuff that I have heard. I run mine higher than most people at 38 or so because I am fat and can't buy new tires every 3000 miles.... I also don't ride really hard so they wont slip on me but they would for a lot of people that ride harder than I do. I know that when people ride hard through the twisties they tend to lower their tire pressure for more grip but I think that 30 is low for anything other than ice racing maybe. Again - I am a noob so don't take this as gospel but just a thought...

Bras cause cancer.

somethings up, up front

30 psi is what you would run on the track or a fast paced street ride with lotsa corners.
    40 seems way too high. For the average street rider, I would reccommend 34 front and 36 rear. I'm sure others may have different opinions.