Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Spark Plugs 06 R6

Spark Plugs 06 R6

So this evening I'll be doing my usual pre-race weekend bike prep. and while I have all the fairings off I was thinking about changing my plugs. I don't really need to, but the service manual recommends it at 8k miles and I'm just about there. The manual says to take the tank, airbox, and all kinds of hoses and shit off and last time I changed the air filter I couldn't even find the bolts to take off the lower part of the airbox, so I'm not too excited about going that route. It looks as though I can drop the radiator and do it from the front so I was wondering if anyone w/this bike who has changed their plugs could break it down for me? I can handle most maintenance projects, but I'd like to make this as painless as possible. Also, a friend says I should go w/iridium plugs but I already have the ngk cr10's that are oem... if there is any real compelling reason to go w/the iridium plugs share that w/me too please. Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Iridiums? No need. And don't try it from the front. It's a pain in the balls. Take the airbox off. Usually, the screws holding the velocity stacks in are also holding the airbox down (along with the clamps on the throttle bodies).

Re: Spark Plugs 06 R6

if iridiums are OEM wouldnt that be the proper replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    if iridiums are OEM wouldnt that be the proper replacement?
    No the NGK cr10ek are the oems. I didn't think the iridium plugs were necessary since I'm pretty sure there is nothing gained from fancy spark plugs other than maybe longevity but the stockers last plenty long. Thanks Degsy.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

some bikes iridium are oem, some they are not

Getting at the plugs on this bike is a bitch and a half... don't bother

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Oh man! Just when I was getting the confidence to tackle the job...

I know what will happen... I'll stand there and look at the bike for a few minutes, scratch my head, and then just say fuck it and put the track plastics on and call it a night

LRRS am #121

Just changed the plugs on my 07 600RR last night. What a pain in the neck. Had to remove the tank, airbox and what not. When I finally reached the plugs it was a pain to get the plugs out.

On a better note, I re-installed my throtle cables while I was at it. Killed two birds with one stone.

i did em in under an hour the first time and never had even attempted it before. It's really not that bad. and the Velocity stacks hold the bottom part of the air box in place. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions

oh and btw hondas usually require iridium plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Just changed the plugs on my 07 600RR last night. What a pain in the neck. Had to remove the tank, airbox and what not. When I finally reached the plugs it was a pain to get the plugs out.

On a better note, I re-installed my throtle cables while I was at it. Killed two birds with one stone.
    I'm guessing since everything else on this bike is harder than my 929 than the plugs are gonna be a giant pain in the ball bag. The plug wrench from the toolkit (not sure if the 600 ever came with one) was the only way I could get the 929 plugs out because of a frame crossbeam right over them.

Brian I don't know if your R6 came with a spark plug tool in the kit but if it does I'd suggest using that.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Iridiums? No need. And don't try it from the front. It's a pain in the balls. Take the airbox off. Usually, the screws holding the velocity stacks in are also holding the airbox down (along with the clamps on the throttle bodies).
    Just unbolt the radiator and move it down. Dont even disconnect the hoses. Plenty of room. No need to pull the tank and air box. Very unnecessary. Should take off of 20min to do all four and just use the plugs Yamaha recommends which are not iridium.

Disconnect the the wire from the coil. Pull the coil out, probably the hardest part. Use a spark plug socket on the plugs.

Last edited by union; 07-16-11 at 02:49 PM.
    James

its really not that big of a pain that you guy are making it sound.

I did the tank/airbox/etc route, that's why I had trouble. I didn't know you could do it that way James.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N