Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Speaking of plugs..

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Speaking of plugs..

I have a little compressor I carry around in my car, but what kind of plug kits do you who travel prepared carry? Are the gooey Camel brand rope plugs and glue and tool good enough for the bike? They saved me with my car a time or two.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Speaking of plugs..

This is the only tire plugs i would even consider using on a motorcycle

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

I would agree, but only for temporary emergency use.
    The best plug is cemented from the inside with the tire off the rim.
    Better yet get a new tire when possible if you have any doubt about how bad the damage is.

The failures that one hears about comes from plugs that were improperly installed.

The reason motorcycle shops won't do it is $MONEY$, cash, pure cash.

They use liability as an excuse but the fact still remains they make more money dismounting the tire from the bike, from the rim and selling you a new tire. (most will not even put a mushroom plug in.)

They have you right there at the shop as a captive audience with little to no choice and they exploit this to their full advantage by instilling Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt. To anyone who is familiar with marketing; F-U-D is the basis on which they earn their salaries.

At first, these kits were sold to only garages, they sold millions of these plugs. When newer technology came along; mushroom kits, they told everyone that the old style was crap. Marketing who used to say that these worm kits were the 'best' now used their P&L skills (propaganda & lies) to put down that technology and epouse the newest best thing that coincidently was more expensive and had a higher profit margin.

The plug MUST be properly installed. The failures that you hear about are caused by plugs that were not inserted completely through the tire carcass. They were just pushed through the rubber tread part allowing air to infiltrate between the belts and tread causing bumps and eventual separation between the belts and treads.

The worms when properly installed, will seal and lock the tread to the belts.

A cut or a slash that exposes the belt is a ruined tire. I also don't run tires at triple digit speeds as I have a lowly gurley bike and a small pee-pee. If you are going to race or like jeopardizing your license and insurance rates by "having fun" on the roads doing over a ton, I would not plug a tire either. Centripetal force is a powerful thing. Sane street riding on the other hand .. go for it!

A puncture is perfectly repairable.

Sensitize yourselves whenever someone or something tries to introduce F-U-D and use your critical thinking skills and common sense. "They" will do anything and everything to separate you from your dollars.

The cosmetics industry makes billions of dollars a year by telling women that they are not pretty enough and only by using their products will they have a chance to be like the models they use to sell their products.

Last edited by Currently; 08-22-09 at 08:47 AM.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Lifer

I've used them all and they all work fine and never fail. We'd take brand new tires from shops with a screw or nail plug them and ride 'em to the chord. The one I rode the gap on for a week had three Plugs in it.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

hessogood wanna buy a metzeler m3 with 700 miles on it (with a nail hole) so i can purchase a new one

Quote Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
    hessogood wanna buy a metzeler m3 with 700 miles on it (with a nail hole) so i can purchase a new one
    Do you have F-U-D?

What do you doos think of the CO2 inflation system they sell with the Shrooms? Good? Or just bring my cigar-lighter compressor?

whats F-U-D? The co2 works pretty good actually, i mean your wasting it filling your tire up with it but if you dont want to carry a little compressor then yea there perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
    whats F-U-D? The co2 works pretty good actually, i mean your wasting it filling your tire up with it but if you dont want to carry a little compressor then yea there perfect.
    Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt. I have a small compressor. Just ordered the plugs and the plugging tool. Nothing like accessorizing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    The failures that one hears about comes from plugs that were improperly installed.

The reason motorcycle shops won't do it is $MONEY$, cash, pure cash.

They use liability as an excuse but the fact still remains they make more money dismounting the tire from the bike, from the rim and selling you a new tire. (most will not even put a mushroom plug in.)

They have you right there at the shop as a captive audience with little to no choice and they exploit this to their full advantage by instilling Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt. To anyone who is familiar with marketing; F-U-D is the basis on which they earn their salaries.

At first, these kits were sold to only garages, they sold millions of these plugs. When newer technology came along; mushroom kits, they told everyone that the old style was crap. Marketing who used to say that these worm kits were the 'best' now used their P&L skills (propaganda & lies) to put down that technology and epouse the newest best thing that coincidently was more expensive and had a higher profit margin.

The plug MUST be properly installed. The failures that you hear about are caused by plugs that were not inserted completely through the tire carcass. They were just pushed through the rubber tread part allowing air to infiltrate between the belts and tread causing bumps and eventual separation between the belts and treads.

The worms when properly installed, will seal and lock the tread to the belts.

A cut or a slash that exposes the belt is a ruined tire. I also don't run tires at triple digit speeds as I have a lowly gurley bike and a small pee-pee. If you are going to race or like jeopardizing your license and insurance rates by "having fun" on the roads doing over a ton, I would not plug a tire either. Centripetal force is a powerful thing. Sane street riding on the other hand .. go for it!

A puncture is perfectly repairable.

Sensitize yourselves whenever someone or something tries to introduce F-U-D and use your critical thinking skills and common sense. "They" will do anything and everything to separate you from your dollars.

The cosmetics industry makes billions of dollars a year by telling women that they are not pretty enough and only by using their products will they have a chance to be like the models they use to sell their products.
    Do ya think it's really about the money, or have they been sued over motorcycle plugs? On my NighthawkS I'da done a plug to get off the road in the Bronx, but once I'm outta there I dunno if I'd ride the length of the Mass Pike with a plug. Well, maybe now I will because I have the TPMS on the Concours, and there are several conditions that set off the light. But not on other bikes. Also, I never saw a plug like these mushrooms either. I've got the rope plugs in two tires on my Hyundai, they're good.

You sound pissed, Current. I don't wanna meet the shops that fucked YOU up if it's all that. Dig ya on the cosmetics, clothes, and designers. All the way down to surgery they got the gals worryin and wonderin if they're ever looking quite right until they've done what they're told. I got my daughter to where she's wise, and I'd be willing to bet the wimminfolk young ones here got the attitude, too. Bikers are like that. They got a built-in bullshit alarm a mile high.

Thanx for the plug-tip, gonna start carryin' those.

Nail or screw ---- plug it
    Whatever they sell at walmart... the loop kind

Tear/slash your screwed

I like the 1 with the T handled inserter and the rasp hole cleaner
    Calm down Ladies

Glen Beck is John the Baptist