Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need new sport/touring tires

Re: Need new sport/touring tires

Thanks for all the opinions.

Right now I'm between the Road 2's and the Pirelli Diablo Strada. Difference in price is $50, which is pretty significant.

Anyone ridden both and recommend one over the other?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I ended up getting a set of the Strada's. I was able to get them for $260 shipped from Kneedraggers, so I hope they live up to the comments.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I like the Dunlop Road Smarts I installed. They stick well, don't flat spot form slab riding, wear like iron, and don't cost much.
    I only have about 100 miles on this Bandit I picked up yesterday, Stoinks, but I gotta agree. They ain't half scrubbed in yet, but I took it down Colt's Neck Rd in Reston, Va. last night around dusk, and took it down to the outside of my left and right sneakers and these Road Smarts didn't budge an inch. I figure I gotta grind out the chicken strips before I ride it up to the North Shore in July, or you boys are gonna be tryin' ta hang a pair o' pink panties over the mirrors the first time I meet any of ya.

I'm on a Z1000, too. I just ponied up today for a new set of Metzler Sportec M3s. This will be my second set, so needless to say, I have been very, very happy with them. I pretty much trashed the remaining bits on my last set on a 900 mile run through Maine, NH, and VT last week.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

My daily 100 mile commute involves substantial amounts of aggressive (by street standards) cornering. My front Roadsmart is worn to the wear bars on the sides after only 4000 miles. Darn. Rear still looks great though. Seeing as I only seem to be able to use a set of tires for about 9 weeks, I figured I'd give the Dunlop D616s a try and just ordered a set. Ought to be fun on dirt roads, if nothing else, and if I hate them, well, 9 weeks goes by really fast.

Nearly 100k miles on two street ducs....Dunlop Road Smart best wear of any I've tried. About to spoon on the new Michelin Sport Tour...we'll see how they wear.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I've got about 600 miles on the Pilot Road 2CTs and I love 'em. Had Pilot Powers on the SV for about 5k miles, great tires but a nail ended their life early.

I'm actually getting better gas mileage w/the new tires - about 5mpg. First time I gassed up I did 51mpg - I have never seen better than 46 mpg before.

They feel just as good as the Powers in turns. Haven't ridden them in the rain yet.
    Hey where'd you get them?

Cheapest I can get them right now is about $320 for the tires online, and $90 extra installed. $400 for tires is pretty hefty...[/QUOTE]
    I purchased a set of Diablo Stradas from here
    http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=Strada
    I liked them but I like my Metzler M-3s alot better but for a sport touring tire I did like them wore well and as I remembered Free Shipping

Took the new Pirelli Diablo Strada's out today for about 100mi. Hit all kinds of weather including hail in Hollis, NH!

So far, reasonably impressed. They moved water pretty well and I felt comfortable riding in a downpour at speed. On the dry surfaces they stuck to the road well in corners and didn't feel like they wanted to slip.

The real test will be next month after 2k miles in the Canadian Maritimes chasing after DucDave...

I got these at www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com for $245 (for the pair), free shipping and $20 each mount and balance at Tricky Mike's.

Dave

07 FLTR
    96 ZX-6E
    81 xs650 bobber

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave1450cc View Post

The real test will be next month after 2k miles in the Canadian Maritimes chasing after DucDave...

Dave
    You going to Newfoundland? I went there 4 times for business, traveled all over the island, and thought it would be a cool place to ride. The road from Port Aux Basques to Rose Blanche seemed especially fun. The roads in Gros Morne National Park were good too.

I spent a lot of time at Jungle Jim's Cornerbrook, kind of a cool place to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1450cc View Post
    Took the new Pirelli Diablo Strada's out today for about 100mi. Hit all kinds of weather including hail in Hollis, NH!

I got these at www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com for $245 (for the pair), free shipping and $20 each mount and balance at Tricky Mike's.

Dave
    Hah...glad to see you spooned on some new balloons...it looked to me like you had 1500 mile tires for a 2500 mile trip!!!

TWO WEEKS TIL STANDS UP!!!! We should be ready for a freekin' drought by then!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    You going to Newfoundland? I went there 4 times for business, traveled all over the island, and thought it would be a cool place to ride. The road from Port Aux Basques to Rose Blanche seemed especially fun. The roads in Gros Morne National Park were good too.

I spent a lot of time at Jungle Jim's Cornerbrook, kind of a cool place to hang out.
    N.S. and PEI. - Would love to go to Newfoundland... never been there. Maybe I can convince Mr. Duc and co. to make a detour...

07 FLTR
    96 ZX-6E
    81 xs650 bobber

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Hah...glad to see you spooned on some new balloons...it looked to me like you had 1500 mile tires for a 2500 mile trip!!!

TWO WEEKS TIL STANDS UP!!!! We should be ready for a freekin' drought by then!
    Yeah, I figured if I changed them now, I'd have piece of mind for this trip. Also I could at least get what I wanted and at a reasonable price as opposed to some bike shop in Pictou (or someplace...) - It was a good opportunity to go through the suspension, brakes and drive train to make sure everything was up to spec.

Two weeks can't get here soon enough. I'll take bright sunny skies, but if it rains... oh well, I'm going anyway.

07 FLTR
    96 ZX-6E
    81 xs650 bobber

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    no lie... they get down nice and low.. have over 1000 miles on this set already.

I do commute 300 miles a week on top of close to 700 miles of cruising/ripping each week so they fit my needs well. I've taken them down HMR, Mohawk, Taconic, through some trails in VT an a couple crazy rain storms and they handle like an absolute pro!

I will have to second FlynGSXR1k here. I have been running the Dunlop 616s on my ZX-14 for about 1500 miles now. Alot of these miles have envolved rain and challenging roads like HMR, Mohawk, Taconic, Evans Notch, Bear Notch and so on. So far so good

Diablo Black 07 ZX-14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12