Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spring wake up fail

Re: Spring wake up fail

I had rodents build a nest in my 4x4 quad, unfortunately for me (lets hope it isn't the same for you) they like to do more than just making nests in strange places. I always wondered why the battery would always die if it sat for a week or 2, quickly learned that mice like to pull off the coatings on wires, and in my case stripped most of the wires clean in the small battery box area

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

I had mice or one of those woods rats chew a row of holes in the bottom edge of the plastic gas tank on my mower.

OK, A little more info. I was able to get the tank off by myself this time. Opening the airbox revealed no mice! As I suspected, there is no way in as the snorkel has a good solid metal screen over it.

I shook up the gas to see if that might get the water out of the bottom.

I tried the advised sequence to clear the cel, but it didn't work and I'm still at square one. It will start and idle a little rough. It will rev up, but I can't hold it at 3k RPMs. It needs more throttle than that to keep running. I guess my next step is to siphon off the old fuel and try again.

Paul_E_D

i'll be using mine this upcoming weekend, but you can use my siphon when i get back if you need it.
    wouldnt need it back till the NJMP round (May 3-4)

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    OK, A little more info. I was able to get the tank off by myself this time. Opening the airbox revealed no mice! As I suspected, there is no way in as the snorkel has a good solid metal screen over it.

I tried the advised sequence to clear the cel, but it didn't work and I'm still at square one. It will start and idle a little rough. It will rev up, but I can't hold it at 3k RPMs. It needs more throttle than that to keep running. I guess my next step is to siphon off the old fuel and try again.
    Grab TuneECU(free!!) and a VAGCOM cable off of ebay and go to town. Very useful for working on Triumphs and a host of other brands. I've found that the 675's are very finicky. I rode mine for 2 years with a CEL. It just would not idle. Other than that, it ripped.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Er, where'd you come up with that number? If you're referring to the Ethanol content, it's the exact polar opposite in effect to dry gas. Ethanol sucks the water in and then helps it separate out so you've got pockets of H20 in your fuel, if not a nice layer of it on the bottom of your metal tank, rusting away.

Dry gas is Iso Propyl Alcohol, it binds with the water, keeping it in solution so it can pass through your fuel system without impact, or freeze, etc.

TLDR - Ethanolated fuels need drygas MORE than ethanol free fuel.
    Ethanol absorbs (binds with) water like crazy, just like isopropyl.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 04-07-14 at 04:08 PM.

Download and install TuneECU. You can use an OBDII-> USB cable to check the engine code

Had this happen after I replaced my air filter a few weeks ago. Make sure the rubber line is connected to the MAP sensor. Mine disconnected during tank removal and thew code P1105. Bike would start and run above 2 or 3k RPM. I could ride it around but it would die at idle. I even told myself "I was super careful during removal and re-installation, there's no way I didn't notice this" and I'll be damned, I didn't notice it. and sensor is small and rubber line has a 90* bend to it, so when it is disconnected it appears that it's on the sensor.

Also- with TuneECU you can clear your code after you resolve your issue, otherwise a CEL code clears after 3 heat cycles of the motor.

Last edited by 01xj; 04-07-14 at 09:39 PM.

OK, I think that must be my issue! I did remove everything last fall to do a new valve cover gasket. THANKS

Paul_E_D

675 is purring like a kitten!!! It was indeed a loose vacuum hose for the MAP sensor. Thanks 01xj !!!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

OK, I think that must be my issue! I did remove everything last fall to do a new valve cover gasket. THANKS

Awesome. This took me about 6 mothafuckin times of removing the tank, putting it back on and test riding to find my issue. Not going to overlook that little guy again!

Damn, 6 times taking that tank off ain't no joke! I tilted it up a bunch, but only removed it once.

Paul_E_D

I dunno, it felt like it. It was my first time removing the fuel tank and air box, just a lot of frustrating trial and error. Having done it before, next time will be easy.

Yeah, just getting the fuel line disconnect takes an act of congress.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

The first time I took the tank off my street triple, I thought the same thing.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Put one of these on the fuel line to solve this?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fuel-line-quick-disconnect

I don't think that's an easy fix. The triumph "quick" disconnect is integrated in the petcock. The issue is really one of access. There is very little room to squeeze the disconnect. And for some reason it is exceedingly hard to squeeze it enough to disconnect. Part of the prob is that the hose hits the motor and bends the whole assembly a little when you tip the tank.

Paul_E_D

Glad you got it sorted out, like others said TuneECU is a must have. Freeware with a $12 amazon cable and a real powerful tool. Allows you to pull codes, run diagnostics on everything the computer can control, turn on and off all kinds of stuff like the O2, EXup, SAI, intake flapper etc. There are a ton of maps kicking around the 675 forum to try out too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12