Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

where to start?

Lifer

Re: where to start?

routing wise yes. appearence wise no.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

as i said before in the original for sale thread, your starter itself is fine. the gear that actually spins the crank is broke. its a very common problem on the older ex's.

order this part

pop the stator cover off, then get a flywheel removal tool. its a reverse thread bolt really. pop that off and you will see the gear hub is broken off of the gear. replace and put back together, bike will at least try to start now vs making a whirring sound

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post
    as i said before in the original for sale thread, your starter itself is fine. the gear that actually spins the crank is broke. its a very common problem on the older ex's.

order this part

pop the stator cover off, then get a flywheel removal tool. its a reverse thread bolt really. pop that off and you will see the gear hub is broken off of the gear. replace and put back together, bike will at least try to start now vs making a whirring sound
    that will be the next thing i do.

Tuono

just got burned by a member on ex-500.com on a gas cap i bought. found one off a 99 on ebay. will it fit the 88's tank?

Tuono

Lifer

yup. pm which member on ex500. ill see what i can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    yup. pm which member on ex500. ill see what i can do to help.
    he says he shipped it probably got lost, doing what he can with the post office etc, so ill give him some time and give him the benefit of the doubt to an extent.

Tuono

Give the guy some more time but stay on top of the matter. I know a lot of the shipping companies are getting swamped what with the holidays and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    Give the guy some more time but stay on top of the matter. I know a lot of the shipping companies are getting swamped what with the holidays and all.
    ya, im giving him time. i found another assembly for cheap on ebay so i grabbed it. whatever i hate waiting for stuff. wish he would have told me about shipping it that way, i would have paid a few more bucks to send it ups.

Tuono

True dat. I can't stand FedEx either though. How is it that UPS can always find my house, yet it it takes FedEx a week longer and many calls to get them to finally deliver somthing. I think UPS treats their packages a bit better too. Yesterday I witnessed a FedEx truck toss a package out the door of their truck in front of my garage and then drive off. It was like they were bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    True dat. I can't stand FedEx either though. How is it that UPS can always find my house, yet it it takes FedEx a week longer and many calls to get them to finally deliver somthing. I think UPS treats their packages a bit better too. Yesterday I witnessed a FedEx truck toss a package out the door of their truck in front of my garage and then drive off. It was like they were bowling.

i hope it was ace ventura style

Tuono

Lifer

i worked for fed ex for a while. believe me when i say nobody in that company cares about the packages especially this time of season. you do what ever you can to fit as many packages onto those trucks as fast as you can. your job depends on it. the horrors i have seen.

Got my gas cap today. just a little slower then expected. wont really have much of an update till i get back from vaca... hope everyone has a nice holiday season

Tuono

so finally got to work on the bike a little today. the wiring job worked. ignition switch is fully bypassed now and the kill switch works like the key. I need a new battery as the starter relay just clicks away.

question:

Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post

order this part

i had the cover off and looked at the gear that is attached to the crank. While i didnt have enough battery power to turn the crank over, i did kind of push and nudge that gear and it seemd pretty solid, no real free play. if the gear was broke wouldnt it be out out of line?

Lifer

keep it up. youll be screwing around on that in no time.

got a battery today, threw it on and bam, starter turns over and everything. and as described all you get is a whirring sound. next step is to get the flywheel puller and replace the gear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234