Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Starter????

Question New Starter????

MY bike won't turn over- makes this nasty clicking sound. I just cleaned a nest out of the airbox so that's set for now.
    How difficult is it to change a starter??? if that's what it is??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Starter????

Originally posted by mcbgti
    MY bike won't turn over- makes this nasty clicking sound. I just cleaned a nest out of the airbox so that's set for now.
    How difficult is it to change a starter??? if that's what it is??
    Like dead battery clicky noise??

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

New Starter????

well- I don't think it's the battery- my lights and evrything still work. It starts to turn over and then it just dies and makes a clicking noise. Could that be the battery???

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

New Starter????

Sounds like a classic case of a dying battery. Do you have a charger? Charge that baby up and give it another try...

New Starter????

nope- don't have a charger. Would it be best to buy a charger or just buy a new battery?

New Starter????

get a charger. like a battery tender.

this wont be the last time you are faced with a dead battery if you plan on owning a motorcycle for any period of time.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

New Starter????

any good place to pick one up? I'm near Worcester, MA

New Starter????

just push start it and go for a LONG ride and don't shut it off until you get home. If that doesn't work... replace the battery....
    oh yeah a battery tender wouldn't be a bad idea too for those days or places you can't push it.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

New Starter????

theres a nice Aprilia motorcycle shop behind Friendlys in Webster..... aka Webda.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

New Starter????

hell, I think I've even seen Battery Tenders in Wal-Mart...

(you DO have Wal-Marts out there in Woostah, don'tcha? )

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

New Starter????

You can jump the bike off a car too. Just DON'T start the car. You'll fry the starter solenoid, it'll be too much juice. Run the bike for a while and if the battery isn't gonna hold a charge then it is crapped out. An el-cheapo Champion battery can be had at K-mart for under $20.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

New Starter????

thanks guys- I will pick up a charger today. We do have wal-marts here- It's amazing.

New Starter????

And even if you charge it and it won't start, starters are dirt simple to fix... more often then not, the starter motor isn't dead, its just gummed up. Usually you can take em apart, use some brake cleaner and elbow grease on brushes and brush contacts and they are good as new...

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

New Starter????

okay- so I charged the battery- It started a few times this morning then just died out. Rpm's just dropped and the engine stalled. And now it just won't turn over. Sounds like it want's to turn but it just doesn't. I'm getting frustrated- any ideas???

Everybody to the limit!

New Starter????

Even after you rebuilt the carburetors?

Banned

New Starter????

The battery is toast. Get a new one and you should be all set.

Derek

New Starter????

didn't rebuild the carbs. Wanted to test the battery theory first- I'll go pick up a new battery and see how that goes. Will keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Banned

New Starter????

It is possible that the regulator/rectifier took out the battery, that happens sometimes. In that case you will have to replace the two TOGETHER as they can damage each other. If the bike has not been started for some time though, it's probably just the battery, especially if the battery froze during the winter.

Derek

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

New Starter????

Might be the differential fornicator. Meineke is having a sale all week so hurry on down.

New Starter????

flux capacitor?

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

New Starter????

Derek is good listen to him, when my bike wasn't working I knew it wasn't the battery and panicked it ended up being the circuit breaker or relay starter plug I am not sure which one because I just replaced them both while I had it apart. Derek knew it was one of them, and told me what to do. I will learn how to do work on my bike with the help of my teacher Derek... Thank You Derek...

Everybody to the limit!

New Starter????

Sounds like you have dead battery, I'll agree with everyone else on that....HOWEVER, that most likely has nothing to do with your bike dying after starting. On a healthy bike, once the bike is running, the battery does not provide any power. The bike gets all it's power when it's running from the stator, so as long as you have a good stator, a dead battery won't result in your bike dying after it's started. A good stator also charges your battery when the bike is running, so it the battery is alive to start the bike next time.

Sooooo...if you get that new battery (which you 100% need, no question here) and everything appears to work great...beware, all you've done is bandaided the problem, your battery is not charging and you'll be left stranded as soon as the battery runs out of juice, which should be a nice 50-100 miles from your house, not fun.

So to summarize...You have a dead battery, by all means go get a new one, follow the instructions for charging it properly, and pop it in. If your bike still dies after a few seconds, and it probably will, check your carbs. If the bike seems okay, don't go riding it off into the sunset, check your charging system because it probably isn't doing it's job and is going to leave you stranded.

Banned

New Starter????

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Sounds like you have dead battery, I'll agree with everyone else on that....HOWEVER, that most likely has nothing to do with your bike dying after starting. On a healthy bike, once the bike is running, the battery does not provide any power. The bike gets all it's power when it's running from the stator, so as long as you have a good stator, a dead battery won't result in your bike dying after it's started. A good stator also charges your battery when the bike is running, so it the battery is alive to start the bike next time.

Sooooo...if you get that new battery (which you 100% need, no question here) and everything appears to work great...beware, all you've done is bandaided the problem, your battery is not charging and you'll be left stranded as soon as the battery runs out of juice, which should be a nice 50-100 miles from your house, not fun.

So to summarize...You have a dead battery, by all means go get a new one, follow the instructions for charging it properly, and pop it in. If your bike still dies after a few seconds, and it probably will, check your carbs. If the bike seems okay, don't go riding it off into the sunset, check your charging system because it probably isn't doing it's job and is going to leave you stranded.
    I beg to differ. Start your bike then disconnect the battery. You won't get very far before the bike dies. A stator will not run your bike for very long with no battery.

Derek

Everybody to the limit!

New Starter????

Since we're kind of on the topic of charging systems, here's a question that always pestered me...why are motorcycle charging systems called stators? From what I remember about car alternators, the stator is the 3 stationary windings arranged radially inside the alternator around the rotor, an iron shaft with windings that rotates at engine speed to create AC currents through the stator. Since there are 3 windings, you have 3 phase AC, which is regulated by a 6 diode bridge to give you DC with a half-ripple with 6 peaks per engine rotation. Correct me if I've misremembered any of this.

So why are motorcycle alternators just called "stators"? Do they not have rotors? How else would they generate an AC current in the stator?

Banned

New Starter????

Please warn me next time you're gonna do that. My brain just exploded.

Degs

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Since we're kind of on the topic of charging systems, here's a question that always pestered me...why are motorcycle charging systems called stators? From what I remember about car alternators, the stator is the 3 stationary windings arranged radially inside the alternator around the rotor, an iron shaft with windings that rotates at engine speed to create AC currents through the stator. Since there are 3 windings, you have 3 phase AC, which is regulated by a 6 diode bridge to give you DC with a half-ripple with 6 peaks per engine rotation. Correct me if I've misremembered any of this.

So why are motorcycle alternators just called "stators"? Do they not have rotors? How else would they generate an AC current in the stator?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast