Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Starting a Duc in the cold

Starting a Duc in the cold

Hi All,

So I'm relatively new at riding, and I was hoping for a few tips on getting my 696 up and running in the cold/clammy weather.

On days like today it usually takes me 10-20 tries to get it on and running. It starts, but either won't turn over or will once or twice and then dies. Obviously once the engine turns, I turn the throttle on (I've been told not to turn the throttle on until it's running). But even if I cheat and turn it on before I try and start the bike, it doesn't really seem to help.

I know it's a Ducati and therefor will be finicky to start, but I was wondering if there were any tips on how to get it up and running a little smoother.

Thanks,
    Deb

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

Re: Starting a Duc in the cold

A) Keep it on a battery tender when it's parked if you can. Voltage is your friend.
    B) The bike has a stepper motor that raises the throttle automatically when cold... it doesn't always do it enough, so a touch of throttle while cranking can sometimes help. While the bike is initially warming up you may have to hold it's hand by maintaining a touch of throttle as well.
    C) The temps haven't been cold enough for it to have these kinds of starting issues, get it looked at. Ducati's haven't been finicky starters for years.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    C) The temps haven't been cold enough for it to have these kinds of starting issues, get it looked at. Ducati's haven't been finicky starters for years.
    , brand new bike shouldn't have starting issues like that, my Hyper starts 1st push every time never touch the throttle, get it back to the dealer to look at. From the Ducati forums it seems as if there were issues with some people having constant starting/stalling issues while others with the same model had none, ECU replacement, throttle body synching, bleed screw setting seemed to be the usual culprits. Good luck

P.S: I did need to get my ECU replaced last year, bike just would not start at all got a "stepper motor error" on the screen, no issues since.

Last edited by FriskyDingo; 05-29-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add PS

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Hi All,

So I'm relatively new at riding, and I was hoping for a few tips on getting my 696 up and running in the cold/clammy weather.

On days like today it usually takes me 10-20 tries to get it on and running. It starts, but either won't turn over or will once or twice and then dies. Obviously once the engine turns, I turn the throttle on (I've been told not to turn the throttle on until it's running). But even if I cheat and turn it on before I try and start the bike, it doesn't really seem to help.

I know it's a Ducati and therefor will be finicky to start, but I was wondering if there were any tips on how to get it up and running a little smoother.

Thanks,
    Deb

Talk to it....always worked for me.

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Thanks guys!!!
    Even you Mr. Daytrader...at least I got a good laugh out of your bright idea!

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde