Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Starting up the two stroke

Starting up the two stroke

The RS250 is almost ready for a track day - engine refreshed (thanks Chuck!), tires, etc - and I'm trying to start it up and put a few heat cycles into it. No luck so far, hoping some of the NESR gurus might be able to help....

Bike is a 93 RS250, I'm running the recommended fuel-oil mix and following the starting instructions in the manual. The fuel is a couple years old but had been stored in a sealed container and VP claims its good for several years. Turning the motor with a starter tool/nut and a cordless drill. Didn't hear any sort of partial combustion in either cylinder so I pulled both plugs, can't see spark in either. Looked at the connections from the Run/Off handlebar switch to each cylinder, nothing obviously wrong.

Before I start throwing parts at it - could both plugs be bad? They looked ugly - lots of carbon. The motor hasn't run in a couple years. The handlebar switch looks pretty rough (photo below) when I put a multimeter to it, what should I be looking for?

Info and advice greatly appreciated

Starting up the two stroke-imag0928_burst005-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Starting up the two stroke

Find a wiring diagram, that'll tell you if the switch is on for run or off for run. Then you can check it with a multi-meter.

Spring for new plugs, and if it's sat for a long time new plug caps too.

If you hook a multimeter up use the ohms setting and there should be continuity one way and an open circuit with the switch the other way, that will atleast tell you if the switch is functional or not.

All the 2 strokes I've rebuilt sucked to get started the 1st time but they were also all kick start. I literally kicked until my leg about fell off without a slightest pop but there would always be some smoke out of the silencer until they would sputter a few times, then eventually they all came to life. Are you getting any smoke out of it, fresh plugs definitely won't hurt any either.

Fresh motor, you should be starting with fresh plugs. I'd try that first. When I had my twin 2-stroke and 1 cylinder quit with a bad plug, there was no spark at all when tested..new plug, and it sparked again

Yamaha

Thanks guys - I've ordered new plugs, caps and kill switch from RS cycles. While I'm waiting for those I'll test the old switch for continuity in the RUN and OFF positions.

On the kill switch if it is one wire then that wire would just ground out the ignition right to the bar and killed the ignition.. And if it is a two wire like my TZ then one wire ran down to the frame and grounded out the ignition killing the engine. On the TZ the spark plug caps were problematic and I always kept a spare set and always kept newish ones on the bike. Install the spark plug caps with that dioelectric grease stuff. You can by a pack for a buck at Advance Auto.
    PM wheelieman here if all else fails. HE KNOWS 2 strokes.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 03-13-16 at 09:49 PM.

If it is sparking, try pop starting it instead of kicking it, used second or third gear, don't kill yourself if it wont catch after a few attempts but you should hear if it is trying.
    Also, you can try heating the plugs with a blow torch (out of the bike!) so they are warm when you try to start it.
    With a new build on a 2 stroke, carbs can cause lots of headaches even if you think they are spot on.
    The fact that there is no spark in either cylinder suggests something electrical to me. Behind the upper fairing there are some block connectors that mount on the bracket, unlike Jap bikes, these can be crossed over and connected in the wrong sequence (don't ask me how I know!) causing the bike not to start.. check there first!