Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Steering head bearings are too easy...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Need to replace the lower bearing in the Bandita. I had heard removing the old races was an awful job and was prepared to suffer. I must say that it went quite easily thanks to some tips I'd read prior to doing the work. One tip is to cut deeply into the lower inner race on the steering shaft and crack the race with a cold chisel instead of trying to pull the race off. This worked like a charm and took all of five minutes with my little pneumatic cut off tool. The other tip was to heat, bend and grind a drift at an angle that allowed it to get a good purchase on the outer race. Two hits with a hammer and it fell out. Off to the bearing store in Chelmsford during my lunch break... Should have it all back together tonight. Lemme know if anyone wants to borrow the "custom" drift. It'll prolly work well on wheel bearings too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I never had too much trouble getting the bearings out (the chisel/hammer method has always worked great except in cases where the bearings are REALLY old, like 20 years old frozen solid). I have only had trouble getting the new bearings back in (since I didn't really wanna pound em in with a hammer)... Now I have a nice hydraulic press from harbor freight ($130) that has served me well for many a bearing.

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

I have an old arbor press that was found in the Malden Mills fire debris pile and it works great for stuff like bearings. My plan was to put the triple tree in the freezer and the new bearing in the oven prior to putting it all together.

Yup, that'll work too Thats what I usually do for wheel bearings. Just make sure the oven is hot enough (400) and everything is fully degreased before putting it in the oven... I had a bad little experience with putting wheel bearings in that way, when my wheel was not totally degreased... Can you say oven fire

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Damn. Eastern Bearings cannot get the right bearing with the proper seal so I had to go to the dealer. Gonna be a week or so before my wife can ride. At least the weather is terrible...

what about "all Balls" bearings.

they even had bearings.... tapered ones to replace the BB's and races, on the fiddy?!!!! And that thing is from '72

http://allballsracing.sureshopping.com/default.asp

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    what about "all Balls" bearings.

Too late, but thanks for the link.

Banned

I use All Ballz in the race bike.

Put the new racing in the freezer for a while before you install it. It will go in easier (right Gary?)

degs

Got the job done on Friday night. No problems at all except for the long wait to get the part from the dealer. Install was a snap. Bike feels right again.

Wife picked up a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket on Saturday for herself. Loves it.