Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Another rectifier question

Another rectifier question

I have a snowmobile w/o a battery so it's electrical system is only AC. I want a way to wire a GPS in and for that I need DC. I bought a universal rectifier however there is no wiring diagram. The rectifier has 4 spade connectors with no markings. Anyone know how to use a multimeter to determine how it works?

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Another rectifier question

Unless you have a circuit diagram there is no way of knowing what you should expect to see on the multimeter. This is especially so when you do not know which side is your AC input and which side is your DC output.

Are there any markings on the product at all?
    Is there any chance that you could provide pictures?

Sam

OK, I have found a diagram on the internet which answers all but one question. It shows 2 wires going from the engine to the rectifier, then one going to ground and the fourth going to the battery. Can I use any 2 wires that have 12V AC ?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobivey View Post
    It shows 2 wires going from the engine to the rectifier, then one going to ground and the fourth going to the battery. Can I use any 2 wires that have 12V AC ?
    Any 2 wires that have 12v AC as the input?

Instead of guessing, could you post the link of the circuit so I could make an informed suggestion?

Sam

Hi

See if this will open for you.

http://www.hooperimports.com/showpages.asp?pid=1013

Thanks, Bob

If you can be sure that the line that you are drawing power is 12AC then you should be able to use it as the input for your rectifier. The easiest way I can think of is to do a continuity check back to the stator. (Disconnect the lead from the stator and the other end then check to make sure they are the same line electrically.)

Personally, I would install a battery and connect the rectifier directly to the stator. I would then run 12dc off of the battery. This will accomplish two things.
    1.) It will give you a cleaner 12vdc since the battery will "make up" for flucuations in the power supplied by the stator.
    2.) It will give you a limited amount of power when the engine is not running in case of emergency.

Before hooking up a battey (or anything else) to the rectifier MAKE SURE it is supplying +12 vdc.

Last edited by gadget; 03-08-11 at 01:46 PM.
    Sam

Thanks, that is a great suggestion.

So I'm assuming the sled has a 2 wire stator? If so, you would just hook up the yellow and white to the two wires coming from the stator. The polarity doesn't matter with the A/C of the stator. You can then hook up the red and black to a battery and run your accessories off the battery. You will need at least a small battery like Sam said to take care of voltage fluctuations etc.

New if you have a 3 wire stator, this part will not work.

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Sorry to jump in , but if you hooked up only a battery , wouldn't it always charge , then make a problem with overcharge and cook the battery prematurely ?
    And then with a three wire stater , if its putting out 12vac through 2 wires , couldn't you just use those 2 .and cap off the 3rd
    Asuming it didn't take all 3 wires to make 12vac out, ( or jump them )

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    Sorry to jump in , but if you hooked up only a battery , wouldn't it always charge , then make a problem with overcharge and cook the battery prematurely ?
    And then with a three wire stater , if its putting out 12vac through 2 wires , couldn't you just use those 2 .and cap off the 3rd
    Asuming it didn't take all 3 wires to make 12vac out, ( or jump them )
    The point is to install a rectifier. A battery is in addition and the battery would charge from the power supplied from the stator through the rectifier.

Overcharging should not be an issue. In older cars (pre 70's) batteries are always being charged from the alternator while the car is running. I do not know about new computer driven vehicles but I am pretty sure they constantly provide power to the battery while the car runs.

Also, I believe the circuit diagrams provided shows a config with a 3 wire stator, like BluGixxer said you just need to make sure you are using the 12vac leads from it.

Last edited by gadget; 03-09-11 at 08:30 AM.
    Sam