Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Street tire

Best Street tire

Okay guys so I have been out of the street scene for a couple years. I've been building a house and riding dirt. When I was last riding on the street my favorite tires were Michelin Pilot Power 2ct. I'm riding a 2007 r6s . It looks like since then there are some new contenders for best tires. What are you guys riding on?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Best Street tire

Rotella

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

For street only, Pilot Road 4's.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anything but Shinko.

On my second set of Pirelli Angel GTs. Can't say enough good things about them. Great mileage for a sportier tire. Several track days on them and they felt great for my needs.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dunlop Q3's hands down. Its an incredible tire. Its a few seasons old technology so the prices are very low. Something like 220-240 for the pair. I actually raced 5 races on Q3's before i made the switch to DOT race tires. Incredible grip, great feedback, low price, easily obtained. What more could you ask for?

I am cheap

Bridgestone T30

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Dunlop Q3's hands down. Its an incredible tire. Its a few seasons old technology so the prices are very low. Something like 220-240 for the pair. I actually raced 5 races on Q3's before i made the switch to DOT race tires. Incredible grip, great feedback, low price, easily obtained. What more could you ask for?
    Q3 are good track tires but I HATED mine on the street!!!! For street riding I felt it had too steep a profile and I was running a 190/50 on the rear, but on a lot of turns I'd have trouble holding a constant line it was like the tires just wanted to fall over. It was a new bike to me at the time so I tried different suspension settings and tire pressures which did help a lot but I never felt very confident on them. I did manage about 7k miles out of them with 1 track day and I should of replaced them sooner because traction drops off very fast well before the wear bars. When the q3's were done I put a set of take off original pilot powers and instantly it felt like a new bike, I love pilot powers and 2ct are good too. After I wore through those michelins I got another set of take offs this time pilot power 3, but the rear this time was a 180/55 and I wasn't crazy about that back tire but now I actually just mounted a new set of pp3 in the factory 190 size( if your keeping track that's 4 sets of rubbers in 1 season, oh the joys of a liter bike) I wanted to give them another shot cause I loved my prior sets of michelins so much but if they don't work out to my liking the next I want to try is Pirelli Rosso corsa.

I like my Pilot Power 3s on my SV650. The profile is steeper than the Pilot Road 2s I had before, and I'm getting about 3/4 the life of the Roads.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Dunlop GP-As. Super great street tire. You'll be the fastest of all of your buddies

Pilot road 4s are great in all weather

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Wirelessly posted

Any newer touring tire.

Pilot road 3 or 4

Or the Angel GTs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In all seriousness, for street use, any of the hypersport or sport touring tires from any of the major manufacturers will be fine. You can find stories of guys who've done fast trackdays on modern sport touring tires from brand X, or raced on hypersport tires from brand Y. They all offer more grip than necessary for street use.

I have Pirelli Rosso Corsas on my 2004 R6 street bike.

I second what Kurtz said. Personally I have Q3's on my fasty bike and dual sport something or other on my 'strom. But, any sport tire should work for you, and I would lean towards the sport touring line if you're never going to the track with them.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

i get excellent results with Pilot Power 3, before that was all about power Pure, but it all depends on what you want. Pilot Road gets at least 2X more miles wile Pilot Power3 has excellent grip even on dirt!!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Rotella
    Motul 300V!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    More mileage.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dunlops. I run them on my SV. But, I have 2500 miles on the rear and it is GONE. Like nothing from edge to edge. They stuck good till the bitter end.

No trackdays, just two weeks down at Deal's Gap (if you haven't been, you wouldn't understand). Then just some commuting/weekend riding.

For up here, I'd run PR4's, which I run on my Vstrom. Grip for days, life that is pretty shocking. I'm a believer.

I'll replace my Dunlops with another set, but I don't use it as the OP uses his bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Thanks guys. I have decided to go with PP3's to make an easy transition from my usual PP2 then mount some Dunlop Q3's or DOTs for the track days I have planned and then if I need new tires before the season is up I will mount some Pirelli Rosso Corsas just because I have always been curious about them and a lot of people swear by them

Lifer

Pirelli Angel GTs, or Metzeler M3

Lifer

Pilot Roads are also very good in the wet. I keep meaning to try another brand of ST tire but the Roads are so good I just keep buying them over and over again.

I did run some Bridgestone ST tires (BT-023 I think) on my VFR for a short while. They were cheap to buy and felt equally cheap to use. I have a Bridgestone "hyper performance" tire on the front of my motard and a ST rear and am not terribly impressed with either tire. Overall I'm just not impressed with Brigestones. Have been much happier with Michelins and Pirellis.

I was a believer in the Angel ST's. I could get 7-8k miles out of a rear on my TLS, a bike that eats tires like theres no tomorrow. I decided to try something new though, so giving PR4's a try this go around.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by tech1234 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have decided to go with PP3's to make an easy transition from my usual PP2 then mount some Dunlop Q3's or DOTs for the track days I have planned and then if I need new tires before the season is up I will mount some Pirelli Rosso Corsas just because I have always been curious about them and a lot of people swear by them
    If your going to run a q3 at the track it's worth just leaving them on for the street. Or goon with something more mileage/ touring specific for the street. As far as I know PP3 is Michelin's equivalent to the q3, so that should do just as well at the track too.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I like my Pilot Power 3s on my SV650. The profile is steeper than the Pilot Road 2s I had before, and I'm getting about 3/4 the life of the Roads.
    Nice, I had Pilot Road 2 on my V-Strom and found them to be exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    If your going to run a q3 at the track it's worth just leaving them on for the street. Or goon with something more mileage/ touring specific for the street. As far as I know PP3 is Michelin's equivalent to the q3, so that should do just as well at the track too.
    ^this. I wouldn't bother swapping from a (good) set of Pilot Powers to a (good) set of Qualifiers for trackdays. It's not really an "upgrade" worth taking off good tires. I would have said the same thing if you were taking off (good) Pilot Powers to put on (good) Rosso Corsas, back when MTAG still had access to that street tire.

Now for the shameless pitch you've all been waiting for...when you are ready to try DOT race tires for trackdays, then we can upgrade you to the Diablo Supercorsa, either in the original(and budget friendly) V1, or balls deep into the current World Supersport V2 tire. Until then, trying different brands hypersport tire is a good call to find something that you like, but don't take off good ones to put a different brand good one on(at least not unless you're eyes wide open about it being a relatively lateral move).

I'd skip the PR3's and go right to the PR4's. Why go back a generation?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast