Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

strong gasoline smell

strong gasoline smell

I was riding last night and there is a strong smell of gasoline, does anyone know what this may be? I am thinking that I am going to try and get the bike into the shop later today, but if anyone else has had this problem any help is appreciated. The bike is a 97 zx7r. Thank you!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Arguing on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics......whether you win or lose you are still retarded!

spark plugs

nope, I was going to do the plugs, oil and pads this weekend....I have a 5 day weekend so that should give plenty of time to do everything.

Arguing on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics......whether you win or lose you are still retarded!

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

strong gasoline smell

Gonna go out on a limb by stating the obvious, but, make sure your fuel selector isn't set to "prime" ... Not sure if you have that on your bike.... just a thought.

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

strong gasoline smell

I hate to say this, but look for pinholes in your gas tank..... the lowest spot where water would settle too

I have already repaired my 99 SV tank.. I used gas tank putty. I should get the inside coated before I get more rusting

with all they oxygenation they use in gasoline nowadays, it provides an environment for rusting

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

strong gasoline smell

It could also be nothing more than fumes venting through the fuel tank vent hose. I smell it occasionally when it's particularly warm out. Sniffed it out and followed the smell directly to the vent hose that runs from the fuel tank vent/overflow to the bottom of my bike where it hangs...

Some bikes also vent a bit through the filler cap...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I must be sped

so if figured it out, the overflow tube that is supposed to come right down the bike to the ground was actually letting the extra gas out on to the exhaust.....moved the tube and now I am not filling the gas all the way up anymore.

strong gasoline smell

Exactly what I was going to tell you. The zx cap is vented through the cap and the overflow tube will catch fuel if it is filled to the rim of the tank. Just don't fill as high and you'll be ok.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000