Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Suspension question: lowering front forks

Suspension question: lowering front forks

Got a 2000 R6 and I keep hearing how twitchy the bike is, but when I ride my it's definitely a more stable ride and I feel like I'm wrestling with the bike to lean over especially in quick left and right flicking turns. I feel like its stable but really sluggish low and high speed turns. I remember talking to the original owner and he was saying purposefully setup the bike to sit tall so it's about 2 inches taller ride height. He didn't tell me why he set it up taller than normal, think it was for ground clearance? So what I did today was lower the front 3/10th of an inch. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood and seems way more manuverable at low speeds. I'm running a reworked front fork from Traxxion Dynamics and Penske Triple in the rear. Bike setup for 185lb rider but I'm only 150lbs. My question is, is lowering the front forks a common adjustment to setup the bike? Would it be considered the first step? Would tire choice be considered the 1st step? Should I have raised the rear tire?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Suspension question: lowering front forks

you didn't lower the forks. you lowered the front of the bike (pulling the tubes up through the triples). I seriously doubt he raised the bike 2 inches as I doubt there's that much adjustment even available. raising the rear is typically a better option than lowering the front because you don't loose any ground clearance going that way, you actually gain some. ride it and find out if you like it.

Sorry for the confusion. I RAISED my front forks, meaning my front tire went up and the triple tree went down. I went to a steeper rake and less trail. I feel like the seat height is about 2 inches taller.

Yes that's a very common trick to make steering quicker. If you go too far though the bike will become unstable.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Raising the forks is a common way to "destabalize" the front end, however as in everything in life (or any kind of tuning), you simply don't get something out of nothing. It is always a compromise.

The general rule is as you raise the forks, you lose swingarm angles; and if you have conventional forks, you will also lose forks travel as you raise them. If you have a Penske, you can always raise the shock height (within adjustable limits) to recoup some of the swingarm angles back due to raising the forks.

Last edited by RocketPunch; 07-27-12 at 12:18 PM.