Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

SV650 basic maintenance

SV650 basic maintenance

All right well I got a list of basic maintenance things that I am going to do for peace of mind and to know everythings up to date:

Oil:10w-40
    Question#1: does it matter if I put synthetic in after regular motor oil has been used. SOme one told me it was bad is it or what

Q#2: where can I get an oil filter for the bike?

Air filter:
    Where can I get that too?

Chain lube:
    Warm chain WD-40 or kerosine to clean, What kinda grease you recomend?

Brake Fluid: (bleed em don't let air back in) use dot-4 fluid
    And how bout brake pads they-re kinda expensive huh?

Cable Lube:
    Where should I lube and what lube again

Also the front tire has worn treads and I want to put a new one on before I get it inspected I wanna match the back tire which is fairly new, so im looking for a michelin 120/60 pilot good place to buy it and get it put on?

Finally anyone know where I can get a 2003sv650s owners manual I just don't want to wait for it in the mail from previous owner.

But feel free to answer any of the question you don't hafta answer them all ita mouthful there

oh yah Im gonna build this sweet swingarm stand(home made jobby) that I seen on Svrider forums made outta black pipe but yah!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SV650 basic maintenance

Q1: No, it doesn't matter. This point is usually very controversial and you'll hear different opinions from everyone.

Q2: Any Suzuki dealer, auto parts store, etc. It all depends on if you want an OEM or "aftermarket" filter.

Air filter: See above, though the OEM filter is great from everything I've read.

Chain Lube: Again, hotly debated. Clean with kerosene is generally accepted, and everyone uses whatever lube they want. I use WD on my SV, and so far so good. However, if you use WD you should lube more often.

Brake fluid: Again, whatever you want, I used REPSOL my last flush, it's been fine. There are a ton of good pads out there, search svrider.com and see what people like

Cable lube: not sure

People will chime in with the rest I'm sure.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

SV650 basic maintenance

Oil:10w-40
    Question#1: does it matter if I put synthetic in after regular motor oil has been used. SOme one told me it was bad is it or what.

Answer #1: NO. use what you want

Q#2: where can I get an oil filter for the bike?

Air filter:
    Where can I get that too?

A #2 local shop for both. if you want a K&N so you only have to buy one for the life of the bike then do it. from what i understand the stock is pretty good. but you are gonna have to replace them every once in a while

Chain lube:
    Warm chain WD-40 or kerosine to clean, What kinda grease you recomend?

A #3: i REEEAALLLY like the Bel-Ray SUPERCLEAN. it goes on white so you can see where you are lubing and you can when its time to re lube
    Brake Fluid: (bleed em don't let air back in) use dot-4 fluid
    And how bout brake pads they-re kinda expensive huh?

Cable Lube:
    Where should I lube and what lube again

A: buy a cable luber and MAXIMA makes a chain wax/cable lube that you can get at a local shop

Also the front tire has worn treads and I want to put a new one on before I get it inspected I wanna match the back tire which is fairly new, so im looking for a michelin 120/60 pilot good place to buy it and get it put on?

A: if you are going to go with Michs then check with PK (gmdboston) or Dave (kayaraone) they have good deals. and go with a 120/70 instead

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

SV650 basic maintenance

I've got a couple front michelin race take offs from my sv in great shape I'll sell ya for short money

SV650 basic maintenance

I don't have enought posts yet to submit a link but if you visit socalsvriders dot org you can download the manual

Goto the download section and you will find the factory manual in PDF format. I believe you will have to register to download the chapters.

SV650 basic maintenance

You are not focusing on the right things ... sure those things are important but right now this is what you need for the SV:

1: Framesliders ... don't get the OEM crap, they are very brittle. These are generally acknowledged to be the best ones out there and are priced competitively .... Motosliders

2. Also get the swingarm sliders with the built in spools.

3. Get either a Pitbull or other rear stand. If you want to spend more money then get a tree or stem front stand. Don't get the one that lifts from the bottom of the front forks.

4. Get a good torque wrench and use it.

5. Buy blue loc-tite and use it.

6. Buy the Service manual and use it. By the time you print out the free pdf one, you will have spent the same amount of money on ink, paper and printer.

7. Dedicate one day a week to go over your bike. I like Saturday morning.

8. Get a GOOD tire gauge and use it religiously ... soft tires will dump you on the ground so fast, you will wonder what bitchslapped you.

9. Buy good gear and use it every time you ride.

10. Don't stop at the MSF ... keep educating yourself. Keep practicing your drills in a parking lot.

Remember that the most important thing about motorcycles is what is between your ears ... never substitute material things for knowledge and wisdom.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

SV650 basic maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    You are not focusing on the right things ... sure those things are important but right now this is what you need for the SV:

1: Framesliders ... don't get the OEM crap, they are very brittle. These are generally acknowledged to be the best ones out there and are priced competitively .... Motosliders

2. Also get the swingarm sliders with the built in spools.

3. Get either a Pitbull or other rear stand. If you want to spend more money then get a tree or stem front stand. Don't get the one that lifts from the bottom of the front forks.

4. Get a good torque wrench and use it.

5. Buy blue loc-tite and use it.

6. Buy the Service manual and use it. By the time you print out the free pdf one, you will have spent the same amount of money on ink, paper and printer.

7. Dedicate one day a week to go over your bike. I like Saturday morning.

8. Get a GOOD tire gauge and use it religiously ... soft tires will dump you on the ground so fast, you will wonder what bitchslapped you.

9. Buy good gear and use it every time you ride.

10. Don't stop at the MSF ... keep educating yourself. Keep practicing your drills in a parking lot.

Remember that the most important thing about motorcycles is what is between your ears ... never substitute material things for knowledge and wisdom.
    ooooo this guy is so very smart.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

SV650 basic maintenance

Not smart ... just banged up and broke.

The main difference between knowledge and wisdom is pain!