Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

First time attempt at bottom-end rebuild - tips? ( '02 KTM 520SX motard)

First time attempt at bottom-end rebuild - tips? ( '02 KTM 520SX motard)

So I'm thinking about giving a crack at rebuilding the bottom end on my motard.

Why? Because I've heard you need to replace the crank bearings pretty often on that particular engine, and the threads aren't great in the hole for the oil drain plug - the shop told me they weren't sure they could tap the hole without splitting the cases.

I managed to do my first top-end rebuild trackside (with a lot of help from a buddy that was a mechanic). I bought one of those top-end rebuild kits (which didn't actually have everything needed to put the top-end back together...namely water pump seals, case sealant, and they put the wrong size o-ring in the kit - but I digress).

So a couple of questions -

1. I was looking for a bottom-end rebuild kit, but the ones I found online included a crank. I'm pretty sure my bike has one of those Falicon welded/modified jobbers in it, so I'm assuming I won't be replacing the crank...so is there any other option besides ordering all the gaskets / seals piecemeal (which I'd prefer not to do, because it's probably going to be more expensive, I'm inexperienced, and don't want to miss something.) Unless the answer is something like "all you need is the gasket for each side of the case and the crank bearings.

2. Once I pull the engine, is it feasible to try to do the rebuild in my apartment? I keep my bikes in a garage under a building, but it's not a great environment for heavy-duty wrenching (it's unbelievably dusty, and my apartment would be more comfortable.) I live on the second floor of a professionally managed, multi-tenant building, so bringing the whole bike inside isn't possible. Once I drain the oil and pull the motor, is it a reasonably clean process? i.e. I can put down plastic on / around my table to catch some minor messes, but want to make sure it's not going to be ridiculously messy or that I'm not going to have to deal with any noxious solvents, etc. during the process.

3. A final sanity check to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew....is a bottom end something that somebody with decent wrenching skills, ability to follow directions, and some patience can do? I *believe* there are lots of little parts (tranny, etc.) and I'm assuming you need a good system to track how everything comes apart so you can put it back together. Are there any really tricky / delicate parts of the process?

Any other tips/insight would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: First time attempt at bottom-end rebuild - tips? ( '02 KTM 520SX motard)

1- pull the motor.
    2- bring it to cliffs and tell them what you're doing with the bike.
    3-pay superfrank.
    4-race.

Was the motor built before? Yes, you want the crank welded. You also want it turned for 2 ball bearings. Forget the roller that is the right side main they used stock. And maybe have a look at the shifting dogs and the countershaft if the rear wheels doesn't use a Cush hub. That's pretty much it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I thought the current rage was tapered bearings with preload for road raced RFS motors?

Maybe for dirt hacks, but I had good luck with the above.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.