Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sv650 oil consumption question

Sv650 oil consumption question

Ok so this is my first year on an sv and i wanted to gauge my oil usage from some experienced sv guys. Its an 08 with around 14k on her. I have done 2 practice days and 3 race rounds and i know im a shitty racer but i never looked at the oil level until last night since the beginning of the season (i know i know i am usually better then that and i only have my own stupidity to blame) but the level has gone from the full line down to just under the low line. Seems like alot of oil for its limited though very hard use. My teammate philkinson is also on an sv this year and has only used a fraction of oil with the same amount of track time. Is this something i should be concerned about? Bike seems to run fine, not smoking, no fluids anywhere they shouldnt be and no leaks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Re: Sv650 oil consumption question

My secret is to unhook the breather hoses. Doesn't let the oil stay in there long enough to get consumed

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

quite common for SVs to consume oil during extended higher rpm operation, I used to consume a quart in a 1000 mile SS1k while droning along the highway all day, but routine day to day riding that may have included hooliganism now and then, consumption observed between oil changes was negligible, common wisdom is the the consumption of oil is thru the breather hoses, but the rate so low that not noticeable in the exhaust

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

rides bikes

My 2nd gen race SV drank a lot of oil. I always chalked it up to it being broken in on the street (relatively low RPM) and then being used on the track (high RPM). It had good compression, just a difference in seating rings.

My street SV1k never used any.