Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

throttle body and valve check

Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays,

First, I must say that I am hesitant to post this because I have met very few of you here on the board but here goes.

I was wondering if any of you could help me adjust the throttle bodies and valves if needed on my CBR600RR. I would peruse it myself with the guidance of the maintenance manual but I neither have the experience some of you have nor the equipment necessary to do the job. There is always a hidden trick it seems, you learn from someone who is experienced. I just replaced the stock chain and sprockets this weekend. I want to go over the entire bike for the up coming season. I am planning to buy a new Honda Interceptor for the street for next year. I want to experience the track in ‘04’ and the RR will serve well for this I think.

If I don’t tell you now, I’m sure someone will ask if it really needs it cuz it’s an ‘03’. I love this bike ta bitz and I somehow managed to rack up 17,680 miles on it this year. So I think I am inline with my maintenance concerns.

If we need a tool I will buy it. I will supply Jack Daniels and or the beer of your choice as well as plenty of food for your trouble.

Thanks in advance

F-Nutz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Everybody to the limit!

From what I remember, you adjust throttle bodies the same way you adjust carburetors. Which means all you need is a carb tool. Lots of folks on here have those, myself included. Syncing carbs is a half hour job, nothing to it, would imagine the throttle bodies would be similar.

Valves are more time consuming. Only person I know on here who does his own valve adjustments is Stoinkythepig. They're also a two day job, because once you get the shims out you need to go to a dealer and swap them for the new sizes. If the dealer is willing. I think a shop quoted me $250 for valve adjusts. All of that is labor...

I, personally won't do valves. But maybe we can start thinking of another 'carb day' (FI's too) for the early spring? Mark? Whaddya say?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I feel dirty every time I see that avatar. Shouldn't your bike have some underwear on it's rear?

I AM CORNHOLIO!!!

I would just check the valves first. You can really do any harm unless you drop something in the motor. All it requires is a feeler gauge and some basic tools. If you check them and they are all in spec then there is no need to remove the cams and change shims. Chances are that they will all be in spec. If they are out of spec then you will have to remove the cam and get the current shim size so you can order a new one.

You should wait to synch the carbs after the valves are in spec.

Wait until you get the bill for a valve adjust on the new Interceptor. I think it's around a $600 job.

I've been lurking for awhile and just joined up yesterday, but I do my own valves as well. I've heard to many stories of people paying the dealerships $500 to do it, and the dealership never even pulls the valve cover off, much less check or adjust anything.

I've never done shim type valves, though the bike I have now is shim-type, and I'll be doing a valve job on that in the coming weeks. Someone mentioned that you have to bring the shims to the dealership, but a lot of times they can be swapped with other shims in your own engine, and even ground down with find sandpaper if needed, to get the proper thickness.

Syncing the injectors is similar to syncing carbs, just have to have the right tool. Syncing should always be done AFTER the valve job, if they are both being done.

One thing I would suggest, is if you don't have a shop manual already, get one, because no one will be able to help you without it. And as far as the time it takes to do a valve job, 1/2 the work is just getting at the valve cover to take it off, and then putting everything back together. If you do get someone to help you, I would get the bike preped for surgury before they come.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Originally posted by zx-stewie

I feel dirty every time I see that avatar. Shouldn't your bike have some underwear on it's rear?
    HoW can one get at the hole if it is covered with under apparel? Anyway the answer is no. Also, I tried it once and it was too tight.

F-Nutz

Originally posted by Zero
    I would just check the valves first. You can really do any harm unless you drop something in the motor. All it requires is a feeler gauge and some basic tools. If you check them and they are all in spec then there is no need to remove the cams and change shims. Chances are that they will all be in spec. If they are out of spec then you will have to remove the cam and get the current shim size so you can order a new one.

You should wait to synch the carbs after the valves are in spec.

Wait until you get the bill for a valve adjust on the new Interceptor. I think it's around a $600 job.
    Your advice has been most helpful.

F-Nutz

Last edited by Wayne-o; 12-11-03 at 08:03 PM.

Shit. That should have been you CAN'T do any harm.

My brother-in-law has an 02 Interceptor. I am pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, but I don't think I would dig into the v-tec stuff. I think he has around 10K on his. We have been to Virginia and Ohio for AMA races. It is a nice bike though.

I do like Jack Daniels.

Originally posted by StumpyNB
    I've never done shim type valves, though the bike I have now is shim-type, and I'll be doing a valve job on that in the coming weeks. Someone mentioned that you have to bring the shims to the dealership, but a lot of times they can be swapped with other shims in your own engine, and even ground down with find sandpaper if needed, to get the proper thickness.

Syncing the injectors is similar to syncing carbs, just have to have the right tool. Syncing should always be done AFTER the valve job, if they are both being done.

Your advice is by far the best. I work for people that race cars at Limerick and they said the same thing about being able to swap out existing valve shimes to adjust and perhaps grind a few for the remaining valves.

If you need some help doing yours, give me a shout I can use the experience.

F-Nutz

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Do you actually have a garage to work in when you do this valve job? It makes things a lot easier if it does turn into a 2 day job, which it can sometimes do if you do something dumb (i.e. torque the head cover bolts in the wrong order, and put a huge crack in it, and end up having to replace it, not that I know of anyone who has ever done that)

Where is townsend anyway?

PS -Anyone wondering about the Honda VFR VTEC valve job... Its a nightmare. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of used '02+ VFRs on the market soon with 16k-20k miles. It was my main reason for looking at a used VFR insead of a new one.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Lifer

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Do you actually have a garage to work in when you do this valve job? It makes things a lot easier if it does turn into a 2 day job, which it can sometimes do if you do something dumb (i.e. torque the head cover bolts in the wrong order, and put a huge crack in it, and end up having to replace it, not that I know of anyone who has ever done that)

PS -Anyone wondering about the Honda VFR VTEC valve job... Its a nightmare. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of used '02+ VFRs on the market soon with 16k-20k miles. It was my main reason for looking at a used VFR insead of a new one.
    I have yet to see a report from anyone that states it is $500. I know several people who already have 35k+ on 02 VFRs, they have had the valve checks done at the dealer and it wasn't $500.

The VTEC valves go out of adjustment very, very slowly due to the fact that they don't run all the time. So if you are incredibly cheap with your expensive bike you can just pull the cylinder head covers off and treat it as a normal 2-valve engine, and check the VTEC valves every 32k or something.

People who own 98-01 VFRs seem to be complaining a lot more about 02-04 valve adjustments than the VTEC owners.

It would be nice if Honda could figure out some way to at least check the clearances on the VTEC valves without tearing everything apart though. Somehow I suspect the next generation motor will address this.

The V-four is already a major PITA to work on though. If maintenance is your #1 priority why would you buy one at all. Stick with an inline-4, that is why they are more common. This thread also mentions throttle bodies. They are also much more complicated on a VFR than a CBR as well.

Ben

and syncing the tb's on the interceptor, are not like you would do with all the others...They don't all sync to the same #'s.

Jay..we could do it again...just gotta make sure there is not any foriegn debris in that fuel bottle..Huh Rye?

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Do you actually have a garage to work in when you do this valve job?

Hey Stumpy,

My house has a two stall garage so, The answer is yes.

I live in West Townsend up on the Hill bout a quarter mile from the twisties up in the park.

Had to add that my manual has come in. I will pick it up tomorrow.

F-Nutz

Where is it in relation to Sturbridge? Maybe I could make some time to help you out.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Where is it in relation to Sturbridge? Maybe I could make some time to help you out.
    You would take Rt 49 to 9 to 31 all the way up to Fitchburg then into Townsend. Kinda far for ya I think. I do apprieciate the offer.

F-Nutz

Originally posted by FireBallF4i
    You would take Rt 49 to 9 to 31 all the way up to Fitchburg then into Townsend. Kinda far for ya I think. I do apprieciate the offer.

F-Nutz
    PARTY AT FIRENUTZ!!! Townsend ain't all that far. I just realized that's where I go when I take route 13 down into MA...

Originally posted by Stoneman
    PARTY AT FIRENUTZ!!! Townsend ain't all that far. I just realized that's where I go when I take route 13 down into MA...
    K Jay..........pack up ya tools and lets do it. I'll have some warm JD a waitin for you peeps. Just let me know when.

F-Nutz

Originally posted by FireBallF4i
    K Jay..........pack up ya tools and lets do it. I'll have some warm JD a waitin for you peeps. Just let me know when.

F-Nutz
    Who said anything about tools???

JD??? :

CABO ANEJO!!!

LOL, NESR party using a valve check as an excuse.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Yeah Mark, Jay promised to sanitize all tools and related equipment prior to me doing work in his hood anymore. I must say, that having the Tiller as a donor wasn't bad at all. Thanks Jay!

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Originally posted by Rye
    I must say, that having the Tiller as a donor wasn't bad at all. Thanks Jay!
    Heh, heh.....fun ride, eh? Now if Mark would just help me FINISH dialing in the PC, we'd be ALL set...

yeah im a baby when it comes 2 the

new fangeled sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee8t

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast