Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Throttle Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

I put this up on WERA. Curious what experienced Suzuki mechanics, like from the local dealerships on this forum might say. Please keep off-topic and misc BS off this thread. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    turned my street bike on last night for the 1st time since October. Speedo threw up a code for improper Throttle Position Sensor. Only electrical changes this winter is a new battery. I'm going to use the service manual to adjust it, but curious how the sensor position changed while in storage.

i'm getting a the high -c00 code (top pictured).

2002 GSXR 600 w/ PCIII.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Re: Throttle Position Sensor

Not a big deal. Just adjust it.

Could have always been right on the threshold from the factory but never set off the code until now. Normal usage would do it and this is likely the only time you'll need to adjust it. If you did some work to the bike then the TPS could have been bumped...who knows? It's a very sensitive item so it doesn't take much to throw them out of whack.

I did that adjustment on my SV650 (damn near identical to the GSX manual page you posted) with TLRMan and it made a pretty significant difference in the throttle feel. Mine wasn't even that far out of whack either. It's amazing how little you have to move that sensor for it to make a change.

thanks bergs. like i said, i'm planning on correcting it. jsut curious how it would throw off a code while being winterized. i'm getting some oddball responses on WERA, and i'm not really agreeing with what they're saying.

the winter work I did was a new battery & some front braking stuff. so i wasnt near the TPS adjuster at all. just seemed weird to me

EX 105

They drift over time, hence why they're adjustable. : )

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.337 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wera is junk now. Not even worth using for anything but classifieds. Bunch of i-bigshots and idiots for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.337 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wera is junk now. Not even worth using for anything but classifieds. Bunch of i-bigshots and idiots for the most part.
    i'm picking up on that. they're telling me to disconnect everything and trace backwards. only reasonable thing i saw was to reconnect/reconnect the PCIII connector at the TPS. but i think just making the adjustment is all it really needs.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    They drift over time, hence why they're adjustable. : )

Beta 200RR

what do you guys think of this? he keeps saying to reconnect the PCIII at the TPS.

Not unless all else has failed, but it wont hurt if you adjust it because it can be reset pretty easy if you get it out of whack. Its unlikely it got moved if you havent taken anything apart. The code indicates an electrical fault somewhere, and if you've messed with anything electrical ever, you know how touchy things can be. I'd say clean the plug and the connection at the tps and try it again.

Like I said earlier you can check the resistance with a multimeter. If you wanted to see if it was reading right you could check it without removing it.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    what do you guys think of this? he keeps saying to reconnect the PCIII at the TPS.
    That's not a bad idea actually. A TPS is just a fancy rheostat/variable resistor. Anything that causes a change in resistance will throw off the setting. A connection corroding over the winter would do it.

The response you quoted is not unreasonable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    That's not a bad idea actually. A TPS is just a fancy rheostat/variable resistor. Anything that causes a change in resistance will throw off the setting. A connection corroding over the winter would do it.
    tried it & it did nothing. got the bike finally fired up and the sensor light went away. i'm being told it's just bad gaas in the tank (and yes i had sta-bil run through the system). thanks for everyone's help

EX 105

Jim,

Quick question for you. If the sensor is out of wack does the code come up on it's own or do you have to put it in dealer mode to see if it's off? I currently don't have any FI warning lights. Looks like you have to put it in dealer mode to see. I've never checked mine to be honest.

Last edited by Billy; 04-26-10 at 01:11 PM.

tried it & it did nothing. got the bike finally fired up and the sensor light went away. i'm being told it's just bad gaas in the tank (and yes i had sta-bil run through the system). thanks for everyone's help
    Wow, I can't imagine how bad gas would cause the TPS to give a faulty reading? Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Jim,

Quick question for you. If the sensor is out of wack does the code come up on it's own or do you have to put it in dealer mode to see if it's off? I currently don't have any FI warning lights. Looks like you have to put it in dealer mode to see. I've never checked mine to be honest.
    just used a paper lcip and jumped the 2 pin connector for dealer mode. al the info is in the service manual. i have one for your bike on my web server if you need a PDF copy

EX 105

I know how to jump it. I was just curious if the code comes up on it's own or do you have to jump it (dealer mode) to see if it's out of sync. I'm under the asumption it's fine because I dont have the FI warning light on.