Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anybody really good with a TIG?

rides bikes

Anybody really good with a TIG?

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but I'm putting dirt bike bars on a ZX6 front end I need material added to the top triple clamp so that it's got a flat surface to mount risers to. I can TIG, but not very well (not well enough for this, anyway). I have a buddy with a machine shop and insane skills who has offered to do this many times, but we are having a hard time syncing up.

Happy to pay a reasonable amount for the service. I don't care if you get it totally flat (I can fix that), and I can put the mounting holes back in it if you cover them up. I'm fairly certain this will need to be pre-heated in order for it to work, and I reeeeeally don't want it to get warped.

I know several companies make triple clamp conversions for sport bikes, but I can't find any on the cheap (and this bike is being built on the super-cheap).

If someone has another clever idea, I'm all ears.

Whoever does it will be offered a ride on the finished bike (which is a 6 cylinder Kawi, and super fun).

Pic for reference:
    Attachment 42289

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anybody really good with a TIG?

No one has ever swapped stock triples off another bike onto a ZX6? Like maybe trips from a FZ6? That might be a better route. SV people do it all the time.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

rides bikes

Re: Anybody really good with a TIG?

I 100% agree. In my limited research I haven't been able to find a compatible clamp that came with risers. Seems like the older ZX6 clamps are flat, which would make it easy to mount risers, but I haven't found definitive evidence that they have the same diameters and offset.