Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tire changing video

Tire changing video

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    Excellent find! I am thinking about getting set up and doing my own, but is this going to be one of those tool throwing episodes, or is it not really that bad?
    He's gonna have a more difficult time with the rear. Fronts are easy. I'll stick to my No-Mar setup.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Tire changing video

You can almost do the front with your hands...Literally..

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Tire changing video

its harder

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Lifer

Tire changing video

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    its harder
    did you do my tires?

'22 Aprilia rs660
    '18 Aprilia Tuono Factory

If you look down, you go down. That may be fun at an orgy, but it sucks on a bike

Tire changing video

I made my 2x4 bead braker 2 years ago still works great

I use wd40 to help REMOVE the old tire.... slip it over the edge

I use soapy water to put the new one on but only enough soap so there is slight wetting (film) on the rubber

There is no telling the mischief that oils and solvent could do to the rubber

ps I also purchased the official plastic rim protectors but the tire irons cut through them as well so don't bother

I also checked around Norwich CT no Jap bike dealer had a dynamic spin balancer. I was offerred to have it hydrostatically balanced though

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Tire changing video

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    I made my 2x4 bead braker 2 years ago still works great

I use wd40 to help REMOVE the old tire.... slip it over the edge

I use soapy water to put the new one on but only enough soap so there is slight wetting (film) on the rubber

There is no telling the mischief that oils and solvent could do to the rubber

ps I also purchased the official plastic rim protectors but the tire irons cut through them as well so don't bother

I also checked around Norwich CT no Jap bike dealer had a dynamic spin balancer. I was offerred to have it hydrostatically balanced though

I used your idea and made it a little more "Red Greenish." No hinges or bolts, just hope the vertical piece doesn't go flying.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Tire changing video

AWESOME

Lifer

Re: Tire changing video

Bump.

Toying with the idea of trying my hand at mounting my own tires. Never done anything bigger than a wheelbarrow. And for that I use screwdrivers. (Hello Craftsman warranty.)

The video featured here and this guide have me thinking I have a shot. Coupla irons, some furniture polish, a home brew balancing jig, and I'm good to go, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Bump.

Toying with the idea of trying my hand at mounting my own tires. Never done anything bigger than a wheelbarrow. And for that I use screwdrivers. (Hello Craftsman warranty.)

The video featured here and this guide have me thinking I have a shot. Coupla irons, some furniture polish, a home brew balancing jig, and I'm good to go, right?
    Pretty much. I use dish soap or windex. I've been doing this way for years. I cheat some times and use my Breezer tool. The key is the small spoons and lube. That and keeping the tire down in the rim groove.
    Have fun!!!

I don't even use a lubricant. Never needed it except for dirt bike tires. I just changed a tire today though. Put it in front of the fire place for an hour before I did it to make it more pliable.

You also might want to try this.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-Changer.aspx

My friend has one and I tried it out the other day. It worked great and he put a piece of garden hose around the base so that he could do street rims without scratching them. For the price you can't beat it. And you could even bolt it down to a piece of plywood to increase your leverage.

Last edited by csmutty; 02-12-12 at 10:25 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I use a HF tire changer. Once the wheels are off the bike, takes about 5 minutes each to mount/balance. I don't use Pledge, I use store brand lemon scented furniture polish. Gotta be smart about your $$, yo.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Lemon scent, most excellent.

Thinking I'll pick myself up a set of Motion Pro tire irons. I hear good things about the shape of their larger ones.

Any advice on protecting the rim?

Lemon scent, most excellent.

Thinking I'll pick myself up a set of Motion Pro tire irons. I hear good things about the shape of their larger ones.

Any advice on protecting the rim?
    i ended up buying the short motion pro spoons like this guy has...i'll be doing this in the spring...

Easy dirt bike tire change instructions - YouTube
    Easy dirt bike tire change instructions part 2 - YouTube

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

Just ordered up some irons and wheel weights. Oh, and tires too.
    Bought an HF balancing stand couple weeks ago.

Think its worth plasti-dipping the irons or something? Maybe some heat shrink tubing?

I'm really paranoid about scratching the wheels. Although honestly I don't really know why. The rest of the bike is already scratched, why not make the wheels match eh?!

Probably won't swap the tires until I have to (June). Maybe I'll practice a little on the wheelbarrow or lawn machine.

Just ordered up some irons and wheel weights. Oh, and tires too.
    Bought an HF balancing stand couple weeks ago.

Think its worth plasti-dipping the irons or something? Maybe some heat shrink tubing?

I'm really paranoid about scratching the wheels. Although honestly I don't really know why. The rest of the bike is already scratched, why not make the wheels match eh?!

Probably won't swap the tires until I have to (June). Maybe I'll practice a little on the wheelbarrow or lawn machine.
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0357/

Lifer

I've read those don't work for shit. That cut up milk cartons are just as good. (And neither are that great.)

You have experience otherwise?

I've read those don't work for shit. That cut up milk cartons are just as good. (And neither are that great.)

You have experience otherwise?
    i got them not too long ago...i'll let you know in a few weeks when i swap out my tires

I use this thing at the shop that works similar....................................................... its called a tire machine lol

but sweet idea for sure if you don't have access to a machine that looks like it worked slick, and your tires will be lemony fresh!

It is that easy really.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Lifer

Changed my first ever set of tires last night. It went well.. mostly. I wish I could report it was way easier than I expected. It wasn't.

I had fun posting this on FB with the caption "low crime area my ass". Several of my friends thought I was fer serious. I got one frantic sounding email from my cruiser riding buddy asking how that happened.
    Tire changing video-img_2319-jpg

Bead breaker. That's some scrap 2x4 sheet-rock screwed together wedged under the stairs to my basement walk-out. I know class, yo.
    Tire changing video-img_2320-jpg

My work surface was a couple 2x4 scraps laid out on the floor with an old wall-to-wall carpet scrap over them.

My father bought a set of irons and a pair of these rim guards to change the tires on his old mini. He gave up and wound up paying someone else after he marred one of the rims fairly well. So I had mine plus his; 6 assorted irons to do the job, which was nice. The big black MP ones are nice for levering, then the little silver ones are nice for holding stuff in place. And next time I'm going to order two sets of those rim protectors. One set is not enough.

Also use the string 'retreiver' things. My father tossed the string. Few things more frustrating that loosing one of those effing protectors inside the tire you are trying to mount.

Could have used 6 or 7 hands.

Everything came off pretty easy. The rear was a little stubborn, but I made it happen. I did scratch the rear a tincy bit in one spot. Like I say, more of those protectors woulda helped.
    Tire changing video-img_2322-jpg

I was due.
    Tire changing video-img_2324-jpg

The front practically jumped onto the wheel, zero issues, I almost didn't need irons. I think the 19" wheel on my 'strom makes it easier.

Mounting the rear was a bitch! And I put another small scratch in the wheel doing it. I think the PR3's I mounted up are much, much stiffer than the Bridgestone Trail Wings I took off. And that rear was wicked hard to keep in the center recess of the wheel. I wound up having to stand on the tire.
    Tire changing video-img_2328-jpg

Put the valve stems back in this AM. Tonight I will inflate, clean, and reinstall. Here's hoping I did it right.

I love the feeling you get with new tires!

Lifer

Tires are on. The feel TERRIBLE! Like I'm riding on a knife edge. The tiniest little steering input and dives into the corner.. yet is reluctant to stand back up again.

Or maybe its just that my old rubber was so horribly squared off.

Tires are on. The feel TERRIBLE! Like I'm riding on a knife edge. The tiniest little steering input and dives into the corner.. yet is reluctant to stand back up again.

Or maybe its just that my old rubber was so horribly squared off.
    That's Michelin tires for ya. They are have a very sharp profile. My dad has the PR3's on his busa and they feel great. I had put some PP on my gsxr600 and didn't care for the fast turn in.

"When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12