Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tire Recommendation Needed: Ducati 848 for commuter (100 miles round trip per day)

Tire Recommendation Needed: Ducati 848 for commuter (100 miles round trip per day)

Hey guys,

I started a new job last fall that has me going 100 miles round trip each day. Now that the nice weather is almost upon us, I am going to start riding into work to save some gas money. I am due for a new set of tires and wanted to see what people recommend for a set of tires for a 2008 Ducati 848. I normally would go for the nice multi-compound track ready tires but since I will be riding 100 miles per day and I most likely will not hit a track day this year, I need something that is durable and last a long time.

I am looking at the Continental Motion-Sport Touring tires and I can get them shipped from J&P Cycles for $178 shipped.

Anyone have experience with these tires or recommend another set. I don't want to completely lose performance in the tires as I do like to lean in from time to time but I definitely would lean more towards something that will last me a long time.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Tire Recommendation Needed: Ducati 848 for commuter (100 miles round trip per day

Also would love some recommendations on place to have it installed? I just checked with Anderson Cycle Works here in Framingham and they are telling me $250 for labor

Re: Tire Recommendation Needed: Ducati 848 for commuter (100 miles round trip per day

Make sure you put the money you're "saving" on gas towards quality tires. I run Michelin Road 5. Cost more, but much better life and traction. As far as the "labor", did they move the decimal point one to the right? Sheesh.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I'll throw another vote in for the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them, and between touring and carving corners I have the same requirements as yourself.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

smutty can do the tire change for you, ship to his place and ride down. He offers discounts if you dance for him.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    smutty can do the tire change for you, ship to his place and ride down. He offers discounts if you dance for him.
    Thanks for reminding me that csmutty does tire changes. I just found the thread and reached out to him.

Last edited by virtualbong; 04-19-19 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    I'll throw another vote in for the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them, and between touring and carving corners I have the same requirements as yourself.
    Thanks for the recommendation of the Michelin Road 5s. I have no issue spending more on tires as long as they are quality and perform well. I noticed they are promoting wet riding. I would not be riding into work if it rains so does that change anyone's recommendations? I do like the wet performance piece of it but it would be mostly if I got caught in a rain shower that was unexpected.

The other camp (other than michelin) is Pirelli Angel gt.

I've had the angels on my cbr for the last 8-9 years or so, with no complaints. Started with the old Angel st, and went with the gt when they changed the model over.

I figured being an 848 you weren't gung ho for 100 miles in the rain, but shit happens. Also cold roads sneak up on you either end of the day, and the less expensive/ sport oriented tires can hand you your ass in a doggie bag if you ask for max traction at a low(er) temp. I've found a few shady damp decreasing radius off camber downhill corners that definitely could have been bad with lesser tires. Also have done track days on the previous Road 4s, they will do whatever you need on the street.

I'm gonna guess you don't have the rear axle nut socket? Make sure either you or your tire person do.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I have pirelli angel gt tires on my 998. I love them and they have held up great so far!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I'm gonna guess you don't have the rear axle nut socket? Make sure either you or your tire person do.
    THIS

Damn things don't come cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    THIS

Damn things don't come cheap either.
    I have the rear stand with correct pin and the socket. Should be good to go!

And the pipe for the breaker bar?? Is the 848 a 46 or 55mm? Can't find it spec'd on the Amazon tool listings.

Make sure you put the money you're "saving" on gas towards quality tires. I run Michelin Road 5. Cost more, but much better life and traction. As far as the "labor", did they move the decimal point one to the right? Sheesh.
    Haven't run a set yet ,but lots of the touring guys on the Busa's swear by them.

TIMMYDUCK

Pirelli Angels or Michelin Pilot Roads, whichever you can get a better deal on.

And the pipe for the breaker bar?? Is the 848 a 46 or 55mm? Can't find it spec'd on the Amazon tool listings.
    Impact. Breaker bars are for looosers.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    looosers.
    Not as loose as you.

Love all the input. It looks like either option should work. I'll see which ones cost less. Christian, I got your pm, let me figure out the tires and then give you a call to coordinate.

Thanks guys!

Lifer

Another bit of positive review for the Road series. I ran them for years on my v-strom and found them worth every penny. Great traction. Great confidence. Great feel and handling. Excellent in the wet.

I also hear good things about the angels. Never tried them though.

Pilot Roads are the best in the business.

A new set on Chip's WeeStrom he has for sale will turn that 848 into a GREAT commuter. 60mpg, comfort, and no miserable Ducati maintenance bills.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Hypertarded

Anyone have any comparison figures on average mileage from say a Pilot Power(2ct/3) VS Road(4/5) or Pirelli Angel GT VS Diablo?? Are we talking 25%, 50% or 100% better wear rates? Pilot VS Road, Road is about $100 more set, with the Pirellis it's closer, the Angel GT is only $30 more / GT2 about $75 more than Diablo 3.

From reviews i'm seeing a wide range on the Road 5, from 6k to 12-14k(obviously bike/riding style dependent), also seeing a lot of people saying the front tire wears much quicker, cupping/ragged edges. Just wondering what the local NESRians experiences have been.

About to pick up a new set, have had really good luck with Pilot Power 2CT and at $240 a set pretty good deal, just wondering if it's worth the $$$ to switch

I've been riding on the Conti Motions for a couple years now, and for the price I find them EXCELLENT. I was skeptical with my first set, but they have turned out to be a great buy for me. I have them on my 2008 Triumph Sprint ST, keep the pressure fairly high (35-39#), and get close to 5000 miles out of them. Never had a grip issue with them, wet or dry (but I'm not too aggressive either). Will be swapping out for new ones in another couple weeks. I buy online for $160 shipped (Amazon), $40 for tire change at local shop. Can't beat a set of tires for $200 when just the rear for other brands cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonehedge View Post
    I've been riding on the Conti Motions for a couple years now, and for the price I find them EXCELLENT. I was skeptical with my first set, but they have turned out to be a great buy for me. I have them on my 2008 Triumph Sprint ST, keep the pressure fairly high (35-39#), and get close to 5000 miles out of them. Never had a grip issue with them, wet or dry (but I'm not too aggressive either). Will be swapping out for new ones in another couple weeks. I buy online for $160 shipped (Amazon), $40 for tire change at local shop. Can't beat a set of tires for $200 when just the rear for other brands cost more.
    You can when the tires from other brands last twice as long.

I've found the Bridgestone T30 and now T31s to cost less and wear longer than the Pilot Roads at the expense of a bit of wet weather performance. I actually prefer the dry performance of the Bridgestones over the Michelins as they provide a bit more feedback to me (stiffer sidewall) but they are very comparable. There's usually a Bridgestone rebate, too.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast