Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

TLRMan can you explain

TLRMan can you explain

why you have chosen some of the mods that you have. I know that you are an engine guy. I am just curious as to why you have slip-on's instead of a full system and also why the Marchesini wheels before suspension mods? I am just curious because everyone on the "Internet" claims that the stock suspension sucks. I am on the TLS which is supposed to be worse. I think at this point the bike is still better than my abilities, but I like to blow money on modifications that I don't need. Have you altered the squish on your motor or done any other work to it. Was the airbox mod productive? Inquiring minds want to know and I can't post in your tech corner.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

TLRMan can you explain

There is only a 3 hp difference between the full system and the SO's but you can get 5 plus more HP just milling the heads, and building up the intake runners....(squish band clearance @.035") The PCII will get you 3-4 more...Airbox mods help, more midrange power with cover off, but less HP on top in the wind.

So at Loudon, if you were to race, you would get more drive outta the corners with the airbox cover off, but wouldn't take advantage of the ram air down the front straight.

TRE Mod works for partial throttle problems, and doesn't give you anything on top.

As for the rims....I got lucky because they came with the package, when I bought the bike...

The Marchesinis loose 18 lbs of unsprung weight, and the bike turns in 10 times better, the suspension reacts differently too. They say you can drop the front end 13 to 15mm, but at that distance my TLR wanted to rear it's head and shake, winding on the throttle coming out of corners. Setting it at 10mm cleared it up. The rim combination and the AFAM 520 chain kit will show about 1.5 HP more to the rear wheel....

As for the stock suspension, yeah it can suck as they say, but I don't race it, and it works fine for me. It's got 9 lbs less weight on the swingarm, and maybe that makes a difference.
    I don't have an extra 800 bucks to put into a shock as well as 1800 for a Akro exhaust system....So I left it as it is.

Josh put an Ohlins shock on his TLS, and he LOVES it!

Sure we can dimple our velocity stacks, install shower injectors, go with wiesco high comp pistons, and web camshafts with adjustable gears, and dial those badboys on 105 degree centers...Falicon crankshaft, "C" rods, and get 170 hp at the crank...but why would I bother? Engines at that state of tune are pain in the ass.....

I could buy a Busa, slap a turbo on it and make more HP than the TLR ever could make...

If I was to race, I wouldn't choose a TLR anyway....It's a PIG! (not as much as most).....
    But I love it.....

It's all the little things that are done that add up to the big numbers though....

Last edited by TLRMan; 07-09-03 at 05:34 PM.

TLRMan can you explain

I guess I am looking at what to do next, if anything. The wheels for example are about $1800, so why did you buy those instead of suspension. How do you think magnesium will hold up on the road? I saw some of your posts on a SV1k board and that is what promped me ask the questions to you here.

TLRMan can you explain

Check your PM.....