Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Lost a carb spring

Everybody to the limit!

Lost a carb spring

I was rejetting the 6R tonight and while I was disassembling one of the carburetors lost a spring, looked everywhere for it but no dice. The spring in question holds the needle in place on the diaphragm, the needle slides into the diaphragm, followed by the spring, and then a little locking piece of plastic that depresses the spring to hold down the needle.

Question is, is the spring tension an important factor here or can I swap in a reasonably correct match to replace it? It looks to me like the only purpose of this spring is to hold the needle in place, but carburetion is a black art which I am not schooled in so I wanted to make sure.

If it's gotta be the right one, the ayers has it for only .90, but it's 7 bucks to ship the damn thing and it'll take at least a week to come in

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lost a carb spring

That sucks
    I am pretty sure you are correct and it is really just to hold the needle down.

My Name is Chrissy
    This is Jello

Have you hugged a corner today?

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Lost a carb spring

The spring does more than just hold down the needle, it determins how fast the slid lifts. That and the slide sgnal hole in the bottom. You absolutly must use the correct spring or your R6 will run like shiznit from a tall cow. Pay the money or look harder you CAN NOT just fit any spring.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Re: Lost a carb spring

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    I was rejetting the 6R tonight and while I was disassembling one of the carburetors lost a spring, looked everywhere for it but no dice. The spring in question holds the needle in place on the diaphragm, the needle slides into the diaphragm, followed by the spring, and then a little locking piece of plastic that depresses the spring to hold down the needle.

Question is, is the spring tension an important factor here or can I swap in a reasonably correct match to replace it? It looks to me like the only purpose of this spring is to hold the needle in place, but carburetion is a black art which I am not schooled in so I wanted to make sure.

If it's gotta be the right one, the ayers has it for only .90, but it's 7 bucks to ship the damn thing and it'll take at least a week to come in
    Pick something else up that you may need and combine the shipping...but get the spring. Not sure where you were rejetting but make sure it didnt find it's way into the intake (check the carbs thoroughly).

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Everybody to the limit!

Lost a carb spring

Originally posted by gmdboston
    The spring does more than just hold down the needle, it determins how fast the slid lifts. That and the slide sgnal hole in the bottom. You absolutly must use the correct spring or your R6 will run like shiznit from a tall cow. Pay the money or look harder you CAN NOT just fit any spring.
    Are you sure we're talking about the same spring here? This isn't the slide spring, just a tiny little spring that attaches between the needle and the locking clip to hold the needle down in the slide. Here's a picture, the part I'm talking about is 92145-A:

This is the first carburetor I've had that even has this spring, my ZX6E had a similar retaining clip but the needle was just press fit in there between the clip and the lock clip. I figured this spring was just to allow for a bit of shimming of the needles, since it allowed the needle to be moved up and down in the slide statically while still being held in place dynamically.

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Lost a carb spring

That spring holds the needle from moving you will need the correct spring. If the needle move around it will affect carburation and cause the bike to studder and hesitate. Don't cut corners, get the right spring. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find it. Try laying on the floor and looking across the floor. It can be easier to see small ojects that way... not that I ever had to......

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Everybody to the limit!

Lost a carb spring

Went to the dealer today, 2 bucks for the spring, they have to order it too but hey, got to gawk at the 05 eye candy while i was in there.

Thanks for the advice.