Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Traxxion Fork Tool Kit

Traxxion Fork Tool Kit

Anyone used this or recommend an alternative? Looks like a steal for what you get.

Fork Service Tool Kit, Inverted Forks - Traxxion Dynamics

I have a few tools I made for doing various forks but want something purpose built for the GSXR forks (also hoping it might suit the KTM but haven't tackled that yet)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Re: Traxxion Fork Tool Kit

They very much need a video to show that in use. Would buy if it does what it promises.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Indeed. I’m *this* close to ordering, if it works out maybe I’ll get a video - been wanting to get something new up on the old YouTube anyway.

A couple of the tools look virtually identical to the Suzuki tools - I’m a bit skeptical on the cartiridge holder but if it has the right fitments it should be fine.

Last edited by Tekime; 04-16-19 at 10:45 PM.
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Why not just email Max and ask? He's pretty great about responding to emails.

Lifer

That's a kit with like 5 tools in it. Which are we talking about? The fork spring compressor?

YouTube

Seems legit. He says you "need" this. I've done several forks-cartridge and not-and not felt this 'need'.
    Same guy uses an impact to remove the fork cap. So. Yeah. Not sure this is an expert to cite.
    More parts of the internet seem to suggest trying to compress fork springs by hand is "dangerous" and a sure way to die. I feel otherwise.

It's awkward sometimes, but I've never had any problem compressing a fork spring by hand. Sometimes a gentle twist will hold it in place against something on the damper rod. Or grip the spring and the fork body together in one hand. Usually find a way.

I cut my own "spring hold-down tool" out of some scrap aluminum. (License plate, actually.) It is +10 man points because of the jagged edges and risk of cutting your hands.
    On second thought I think I may have a stamped steel bit like in that traxion kit somewhere. Although it is just as likely that I'm either remembering things wrong or have lost it.

I have a motion pro oil level tool similar to the one in that kit. Awesome. Great to have. Not mandatory, but really handy.

The bleed tool seems gimicky. Definitely not mandatory. This attaches to the top of the damper rod and lets you work the air out? I've never had a problem just grabbing them by the threads. (That's what trump said!)
    Or is this so you don't lose the damper rod down into the fork on re-assembly? I guess I could see value there.

A socket set like this + an impact driver are your best friend for the damper-rod retainer. Gazillion other uses too. I have short and long versions in my tool chest.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

In my experience, by far and away the biggest problem I've run into is getting ahold of the jamb nut under the fork cap. A spring retainer tool is really handy, maybe mandatory to give you space to get a wrench in there. But many forks seem to have jamb nuts that are shouldered on TWO sides. Thus a normal open end wrench will not fit. You need some sort of thin wrench to get onto this. I can't remember if it was the KTM or my DRZ, but one of them was a real bitch. I wound up grinding an adjustable crescent wrench down. It's ghetto.

One day I'll buy yet another set of wrenches that are thin specifically for this. Motion pro probably has me here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This is another one of those totally subjective things.

Is the kit worth it, to some it is absolutely worth every penny. To others its just a place to start with your suspension tools.

With that said, bubs is right on with the oil level tool from Motion Pro. There are more expensive options but you be the judge as to how much you want to spend.

The hex keys, are good, but your better off investing in a long hex socket set instead.

The damper rod tool in my opinion is worth it as you can get a full range of travel to allow the most air out.

The jam nut, invest in a set of Tappet wrenches, they are not cheap but they work great. You can also use Cone wrenches for bikes, I have some of those kicking around too if I need them.

So its up to you, the kit is good to start but if your going to service your own forks you may want to think about other options for ease of work.

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's a kit with like 5 tools in it. Which are we talking about? The fork spring compressor?

YouTube

Seems legit. He says you "need" this. I've done several forks-cartridge and not-and not felt this 'need'.
    Same guy uses an impact to remove the fork cap. So. Yeah. Not sure this is an expert to cite.
    More parts of the internet seem to suggest trying to compress fork springs by hand is "dangerous" and a sure way to die. I feel otherwise.

It's awkward sometimes, but I've never had any problem compressing a fork spring by hand. Sometimes a gentle twist will hold it in place against something on the damper rod. Or grip the spring and the fork body together in one hand. Usually find a way.

I cut my own "spring hold-down tool" out of some scrap aluminum. (License plate, actually.) It is +10 man points because of the jagged edges and risk of cutting your hands.
    On second thought I think I may have a stamped steel bit like in that traxion kit somewhere. Although it is just as likely that I'm either remembering things wrong or have lost it.

I have a motion pro oil level tool similar to the one in that kit. Awesome. Great to have. Not mandatory, but really handy.

The bleed tool seems gimicky. Definitely not mandatory. This attaches to the top of the damper rod and lets you work the air out? I've never had a problem just grabbing them by the threads. (That's what trump said!)
    Or is this so you don't lose the damper rod down into the fork on re-assembly? I guess I could see value there.

A socket set like this + an impact driver are your best friend for the damper-rod retainer. Gazillion other uses too. I have short and long versions in my tool chest.
    I completely agree with everything you said BUTT.....

The HF tools!!!
    Do not use HF tools for doing work on expensive things.
    PLUS this
    vvvv

I am 100% against any Harbor Freight impact anything ANYTHING HARBOR FREIGHT INPACT STAY AWAY.
    A very good personal friend who foolishly used a Harbor Freight INPACT socket on a cager had the socket explode in front of his face.
    He now looks like a pirate. His eye is gone. I was not there when it happened but know some who were there. Guys were puking due to the eye goo pouring out of his head. It was gruesome from what I was told.

Just an FYI to everyone. I do buy some cheap shit there but I understand what I'm getting. I won't get anything there that can be comprised like that under high stress.

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    In my experience, by far and away the biggest problem I've run into is getting ahold of the jamb nut under the fork cap. A spring retainer tool is really handy, maybe mandatory to give you space to get a wrench in there. But many forks seem to have jamb nuts that are shouldered on TWO sides. Thus a normal open end wrench will not fit. You need some sort of thin wrench to get onto this. I can't remember if it was the KTM or my DRZ, but one of them was a real bitch. I wound up grinding an adjustable crescent wrench down. It's ghetto.

One day I'll buy yet another set of wrenches that are thin specifically for this. Motion pro probably has me here.

I use a C clip expander. They work great for a cheap strong and thin tool to compress the spring enough to get a wrench on the nut.

Lifer

Love my Harbor Freight sockets and t-handles. I probably use an Harbor Freight tool every single time I wrench on a motorcycle.
    The tools even live in a Harbor Freight rolling tool chest. The bike sits on a Harbor Freight lift. Just picked up a low-profile Harbor Freight oil change pan for easier changes on the Harley. And a nice long Harbor Freight funnel for the ridiculously down in der oil fill on the wifes minivan.
    One of those Harbor Freight mag-mount LED lipo lamps is currently on my wishlist.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Teamdineen View Post
    I use a C clip expander. They work great for a cheap strong and thin tool to compress the spring enough to get a wrench on the nut.
    Issue isn't retaining the spring. It's getting a wrench on the nut with two collars. Viper has it re: the "tappet" wrenches. I didn't even know that's a thing. I need a set.. someday. Or maybe this.

Did a bit more specific research here. The tools I'm interested in are the fork spacer holder, stopper plate, inner rod holder, and assembling tool (holder for bolt removal). Level gauge would be nice too.

The kit looks like it covers most of it, but I'm not sure the hex extension tool would work (for '05 GSXR 750 forks anyway).

Basically the specific Suzuki tools I'd like to have are:

09940-94930 - front fork spacer holder
    09940-94922 - spring stopper plate
    09940-52841 - inner rod holder
    09940-30221 - fork assembling tool

The inner rod holder just looks like a tube with a hole drilled on each end. The fork assembling tool is basically an extension with a castle socket on the end (definitely not in this kit).

The castle sockets are easy enough to make with an appropriate sized socket and grinder. As luck would have it I found this:

How to make your own fork cartridge removal tool - Suzuki part# 09940-30250 - SV1000 Portal

Which has measurements and pics, nice!

So I might only use the spacer holder, stopper plate, and level gauge right away. Bit more research to do on it.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350